Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Space Travel In Stasis

Discussion in 'Tech Temple' started by Vladnyx, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    Is Space Travel Closer Than We Previously Thought?
    Well lets find out shall we.
    [​IMG]
    SpaceWorks and NASA have teamed up to develop a way to induce a state of stasis for astronauts on long space travel missions using a method hospitals use all the time.

Once again, the stuff of science fiction becomes reality. Deep space travel could take a number of years to reach a far off destination, and humans simply are not made for that type of travel. Aerospace company SpaceWorks, with funding from NASA’s Innovative Advanced Concepts program ,is developing a solution for that problem, according to Spectrum. Their first hurdle to jump is the relatively short 55-million-kilometer multi-month trip to Mars.

Imagine being confined to a space the size of a walk-in closet with three or four of your work colleagues for several months, conducting a mission, and climbing back into that same confined space for another several months with nothing new to occupy your time. If it sounds like the makings of a reality show that drives the contestants to murder each other, you probably are not far off. Astronaut interaction, boredom, and irritation are one of the smaller problems facing astronauts who are brave enough to endure space travel. Think celestial cabin fever.

The amount of resources required to transport six humans to Mars is surprising. NASA estimates a habitation module would need 380 cubic meters of volume, and would weigh in at 28,000 kilograms. Those six hungry astronauts would need 13,000 kg of food. That same group of astronauts in a state of stasis would require less space, less food, and ultimately result in a reduction of 140,000 kg of weight from smaller engines and less fuel consumption.

Stasis is simply defined as a state of “inactive, low metabolic torpor state for mission transit phases.” It is more similar to hibernation than something more sci-fi like cryo-sleep. The problem is that humans do not naturally hibernate, but they can be placed into a state similar to hibernation for several days. Hospitals do this all the time and call it therapeutic hypothermia. After a traumatic injury, a patient can be placed into a sedated hypothermia to give the body a few days to use all its energy to heal.

Astronauts in this state would receive nutrients intravenously, but intravenous feeding has been shown to cause problems over a long period. SpaceWorks still has some problems to work out, but the message to take away is that space travel in a state of stasis is closer to reality than thought previously.

2. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    How much will a person's body age, I wonder. For me, this would be a dealbreaker if my life was still being shortened significantly.

3. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you're in a state of "hibernation," I would imagine your life wouldn't increase quite as much, but at the same time slow the process of aging by a small degree. Maybe extend it about a month if I were to guess. It wouldn't be a significant increase; Nothing like the current sci-fi idea of cryo-stasis of course, but if you're being put into a state of hibernation, you're not expending that much energy and your cells aren't being damaged from normal activity like you would if you were working a normal day. I would love to hear from an expert explain the long-term effects of a hibernation state for a human and whether it can potentially extend the life of the person or not.

4. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    Spend 40 years of your life hibernating, only live 30 of them.

5. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0

My question is if you spend to much time in hibernation won't you lose all your muscles....

FOR example cast away on a small rescue boat I've read story where they severely lost mobility of walking due to not doing anything for a long period of time I wonder if this would apply to hibernation...

6. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    Yes over time with no exertion of the muscles they will begin to deteriorate & break down. Your body will try to prevent this by burning fats and other nutrients stored within the body, but there is a limit to this before your body starts to eat away your muscles. I feel with observed monitoring and aid of intravenously feeding the effects of this can be less detrimental to the individual. So in short the answer is yes and no. You'll lose the muscles that require mental willpower to move sometimes to the point it affects mobility or lose of it. Now say your heart or lungs they are always active and moving. These types of muscles will be the last to go and quite honestly won't deteriorate to nothing, although they'll weaken considerably over time without the proper nutrition and exercise. I hope what I said makes sense :p