Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Sketches

Discussion in 'Creative Design' started by SoulEater, May 2, 2013.

1. SoulEater Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I recently made a couple of sketches, just wanted a review.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Crazy Potato Designer

Ratings:
    +207 / 0 / -0
  3. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Really nice.

4. Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice work :)Your proportions and generally composition seems to be quite good, but now you need to work on your shading and line work.

First, the line work you have already done is fine, but it has been somewhat damaged by the thickness of the lines. I'm guessing you went over your lines to help re-inforce them as they were fading?
    In any case, this will always happen, but don't go back over them like you have; making all the lines heavy and thick. Instead, use shading to promote the edges, so for example, take a look at this piece of work It's a quite an old sketch I did a few years back in my college notebook, and the shading isn't great or the quality of work, but it's the only scan I have at the moment which can be used as a reference.

Now this should (I hope) will answer your questions in shading as well.
    Best way to do shading, is to get a simple but bold object which will create a shadow, such as a pen, and practice drawing while a light is pointed towards it to create a distinctive element of shadow for you to draw and practice off.
    Try to draw it as accurately as possible, not the texture, but primarily the shading and shape. Study how the shadow fades off and strengthens in certain areas, and how it shapes around certain angles and so forth.

A tip when drawing with pencils, I find that when shading with a simple none-mechanical pencil, is to tilt the lead to the side and shade that way. So you end up drawing wide flat strokes of pencil which don't create distinctive lines.
    Plus if you want (My personal favourite), you can smudge the pencil once it is drawn down on paper. This makes the shading even smoother, plus it's easier to erase smudges than actual drawn shading.

Hope this helps :) And keep it up! Practice really makes perfect,and it couldn't be any more true for art.

5. SoulEater Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Spor and CrazyPotato :3
    Yay advice >_<
    That was, actually, really helpful, so thanks. Especially the smudge thing, also, your sketch is really cool xD

6. Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Haha thank you very much :) You should see my notepads of college... thing is fall of them.
    I think I doodled more than I actually noted down work. Ah well, good times :) Wish I could go back... to the piece-full days (adult thoughts kicking in... why did I have to wish to grow up when I was younger! Dam it! Its backfired...)

Keep us posted on your progress by the way! I love sketched drawings, especially those which use shading as a primary element and somewhat texture.

7. SoulEater Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hehe, I doodle more than I take notes in class most of the time xD
    Can't help the fact that school is boring =p
    Alrighty, I'll try doodling something the next time I get bored >.