Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Scientists clone mouse using a single drop of blood

Discussion in 'Hall of the Elders' started by Sporadic, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Scientists in Japan have cloned a mouse from a single drop of blood.

Circulating blood cells collected from the tail of a donor mouse were used to produce the clone, a team at the Riken BioResource Center reports in the journal Biology of Reproduction.

The female mouse lived a normal lifespan and could give birth to young, say the researchers.

Scientists at a linked institute recently created nearly 600 exact genetic copies of one mouse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23068423

Commenting on the study, Professor Robin Lovell-Badge of the MRC National Institute of Medical Research in London, said it was a useful small advance on previous work showing that it is possible to clone mice from a variety of adult cell types, including white blood cells.

He told BBC News: "The efficiency of cloning from these cell types was very good, suggesting that even a small drop of blood will contain sufficient numbers...this is helpful if the intention is to use cloning to propagate and expand numbers of rare or valuable types of individual or species."

2. plantkingman Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I would believe in something like that is possible. An organism's entire DNA is found in a single drop of blood, and do mean ANY organism.

3. JustAdmin Root

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    This doesn't really count as tampering with DNA does it, seeing as they don't change the genetic make-up. Bring on the mammoth I say.

4. Noobs I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +631 / 3 / -1
  5. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Bring on the mammoth I say.

As long as it behaves like an elephant I don't see an issue with trying to house one. When we start bringing back dinosaurs though I'm gonna start saving up money for the rides at Jurassic Park.