Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Rurouni Kenshin Discussion

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by VeritasOdiumParit, Mar 29, 2015.

1. VeritasOdiumParit Cult of Personality

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    So I decided to make a discussion thread for this as well, seeing as I pick it up again from time to time. I have now seen the first 5 episodes and I have to say I am enjoying it. After the first two episodes, it actually starts to go into political history in Japan in the 1860's (although sometimes it crosses over with other periods as well). It can be a little childish at times, plus the English voice acting isn't that great. But, it's still worth watching. I also think the fight scenes could be a bit more detailed. (But, I understand that it is shonen, so they can't show too much detail, plus some characters don't seem to get killed in certain fights).

2. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Best. Anime. EVAR...

But, seriously. I thoroughly enjoy the historical fiction theme that it has going on. There's just the right amount creative license and story telling going on, mixed with historical context from the Meiji era and, to some degree, the Meiji revolution.

In terms of the fight scenes, they get a little better later on. In truth the middle of the anime is when its at its best. The beginning is pretty great as well, but it really comes into its own later. If you like it starting out, you'll want to stick with it.

Without spoiling anything, it really slows down toward the end of the series. It begins to feel rushed and a lack of detail and care that is unheard of in the rest of the show becomes prevalent. Even then I recommend sticking it out until the end. But for re-watching, I only make it past the middle part (shishio arc) of the show before calling it quits.

3. BlackHeartedRose The Bookworm

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    I loved this show. I also watched it when it was on cartoon network (when it was great at least). I have to agree with BaconMan8910 about the show though. The fights were more epic in the middle. I actually like the funny childish scenes though. The whole show was just epic.

4. VeritasOdiumParit Cult of Personality

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    I finished episode 6 yesterday. It is definitely picking up. But, man the dub voice acting is sooo bad xD Kenshin has the stiffest voice actor I've ever heard xD

5. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Eh. It's not too bad. =P

6. KnowMeFrom Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I don't know what your on about with the dub voice acting, I always thought it was good. I always liked Kenshin when I would catch it here and there on Toonami but once I finally sat down and watched the whole show I felt its a bit overrated. Still not a bad show, but I actually didn't care for the "Shishio Arc" which a lot of people claim is the best arc in any show but for me it's just decent. I never really cared for the fights here, I feel like this show is better in the "filler" episodes when their just hanging out running errands. I hated the little boy on the show, whatever his name is. Also found it a bit sexist that the main girl literally couldn't get out of bed when Kenshin wasn't around. The ending is one of the worst I ever seen. I know I been pretty negative in this post but I still like the show. At one point Karou and Misao were two of my favorite anime characters. They still probably would be, its just been too long since I seen the show.

7. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    You're pretty much spot-on. It is an incredibly flawed show, but it still manages to be absolutely wonderful at the same time.

I have to agree, the show is at its best in between the fighting. It's great to see Kenshin kick some ass from time to time, but the characters are written in such a way as to be very endearing. You almost always want to spend your time seeing them interact with one another and delve further into their personality/backstory/relationship to other characters. And the large amount of fighting the goes on in the Shishio arc doesn't allow for that, quite as much.

8. VeritasOdiumParit Cult of Personality

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    Just listen to Kenshin's voice....

9. Ladon Trophy Collector

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I absolutely love this show. I have watched it fully several times over the years. I couldn't help but notice that the final episode 95 seems to be missing.

10. Noobs I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +631 / 3 / -1
    having watched this when i was 9 for the first time and being in a country that considers english as the second language and me being bad at english, this is the best english dub ever.

now on topic, this is one of my childhood anime and i can say i did enjoy the series. he was like a role model for me that teaches things like "be badass but dont show it until a bad ass needs some badass whooping".

11. VeritasOdiumParit Cult of Personality

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    @Noobs it sounds like he is apathetic towards everything LoL. He sounds like he is constantly high.

12. Noobs I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +631 / 3 / -1
    lol i get what you mean. thats just how anime from the 90s got dubbed. well for kenshin, his character is also comical that the stoned character kind of fits. its a win-win. a cringey win-win for you. xD

13. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    This is a series that i'll always care deeply about. I can remember watching this first several years ago on Toonami. For the time-period they depicted it very well and it only made me want to learn more about the Japanese culture. For the most part what pulled me in was Kenshin and just how motivated and driven he actually is. Trying to repent for his part in the revolution he is constantly faced with new challenges that push him to his limits. It's just a marvel to watch him try to regain his innocence if you will. From then on it was just all the great characters and their interactions they had with one another.