Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Reminder Revisiting the Community Standards

Discussion in 'JustAnime Forum' started by Vashnik, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know, I know. It's that time again. A staff member posted a thread. You'd rather watch the latest episode straight from our site, but instead you checked out this thread. You saw the title and became curious, but "oh no! It's about the community standards!" as you yelled in horror. Ok, maybe you didn't.

Yep! Rules are being broken so it's time for friendly reminder. Make sure you look over the community standards to ensure you are within the standards set here: https://justanimeforum.net/threads/site-rules-community-standards.10082/

The main violation I've been seeing recently is: Signatures. It's starting to pile up. While we're not too picky on making sure they're at the exact sizes, please make sure it's close (within 10 pixels at least) but no more than the maximum standards. Currently set at 500 wide, 300 in height.

Those with signature violations: If you are unable to resize your signature, you can always ask someone with graphics experience to help you out. You can typically find our resident graphics artists in the Creative Design section, located here: https://justanimeforum.net/forums/creative-design.20/ and you can either send a conversation directly to them, you can post your own thread or post in an existing thread asking for help with resizing your signature picture.

I do have good news though, there haven't been very many violations of the other standards so a job well done everyone. Keep up the great work!

2. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Haha, I don't watch anything dubbed these days. I haven't used the video part of our site in a long time. The last two things I watched here was Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell. So, sorry but you're wrong there Vashnik.

About this topic. It is all very true, I have noticed a few growing larger than the acceptable size. Hmm if only there was a good way to deter users.....

3. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    If any of the moderator team finds someone with a signature over the limit go ahead and shoot them a PM reminding them of the correct size. Any admins can add this to a repeat offender's signature

[​IMG]

4. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    What exactly is the restriction for, in size?
    I can understand the height one, but what about width? Our signature spaces have plenty of width dead space, so it would be difficult to mess with the web page like that. So, presumably, I am guessing the reason why those dimensions are set is so that internet speeds will not be dropped due to data size of the image. However, if data size is the issue, then what about users with GIF signature pictures? On this site, I have seen gif signature images (within 300x500 px perimeters) that had triple the amount of data in comparison to a an image that was 300x600 px in size.

There is probably another rule entirely for gifs and their size, so I dunno if this is a valid comparison or not.

5. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is both data and dimension related.
    Data because not everyone has at least a 10 Mbps connection or has that as a constant/stable speed and most mobile carriers don't offer true "unlimited" data. Some home broadband companies have meticulously decided upon themselves to cap data allowance over a false pretext of "well only 2% ever go above X amount of data per month" so they can charge people overages when they go over an archaic set amount.
    Dimension related because some people may be on mobile or using smaller screens, typically laptops, netbooks (the even smaller version laptops) or tablets so they may not have the screen size allowance of a typical HDMI cable's 1080 (1920 x 1080), let alone the new 4k (roughly 3840 × 2160 I think).

We don't have a data cap on signatures because we don't host the images and we have no direct control over sizes (both data and dimension), however we can at least see the dimensions. Something to keep in mind is that some programs may have a different way of saving GIF's which can result in larger data sizes. For me PNG used to have a bigger data size than JPEG, but when I switched photo editors, PNG became less of a data hog than JPEG. So it's important to at least keep the data size small for optimal performance. If I were to put a figurative cap, I'd probably say no more than 2 MB to allow for creativity, but also to be courteous of other viewers/readers. Most carriers should have affordable plans for almost everyone to handle 2 MB of data with ease and still be able to process other signatures with the same or lesser data sizes without the webpage suffering.

Those who are on dial-up or wish to save on data allowance can disable signatures completely while logged into their account by:
    1. Visiting your preferences page: https://justanimeforum.net/account/preferences
    2. Unchecking the "Show people's signatures with their messages" option to disable signatures from your personal view. (Under the option header).
    3. Clicking the "Save Changes" button. (Bottom of preferences page).

6. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Alright, I've noticed a small and seemingly random trend cropping up, typically from users whose first post is always some form of click bait or advertisement thread without so much as getting to know the community and attempting to interact with others to build rapport. Some users have been posting new threads only to advertise a YouTube video, link or image, even some go so far as disregard setting up a premise of what the purpose of the thread is and what we as readers are supposed to contribute to the thread. They're not proposing any questions or explaining a clear purpose of their thread. This trend, however small and seemingly random it may be, needs to stop. Click bait is not welcomed here and I will treat such threads as spam. The first offense will be deletion of thread. Continued click bait threads will result in escalation of disciplinary action. Click baits contribute nothing to activity and interactive discussion.

If users want to share a YouTube video about a video game in the Video Games section or a YouTube video, image, or link to a (legal) project about this new book, movie, amateur anime/cartoon, whatever, in their respective sections, then thread starters will need to include questions for readers to answer (the more thought provoking, the better the discussion can be) or set a clear purpose of the thread and the direction of discussion. Reading longer posts can be substantial and give readers something to discuss when they're finished reading the thread/posts and is one of our goals and purposes of the forum which can help to contribute to activity.

This is not directed towards The Asylum section whose threads and their goals are following the purpose of the section.

7. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, there seems to be a consistent problem with multi-posting within the same day, often within minutes of the previous post. Multi-posting is defined as posting more than once to the same topic without someone else posting in between your own posts.
    Example: Post 1, 2, and 3 belongs to UserA, Post 4 belongs to UserB, Post 5 and 6 belong to UserA.
    UserA is posting multiple times in a row on the same thread without someone else posting in between them.

I will be handing out warnings for repeated multi-posting violations.

Exceptions to this are as follows:
    • the Asylum where a user's post count does not increase (typically from forum games, where posts normally considered spam, are expected for that thread's goals). Games can/will set their own rules for what is considered "cheating".
    • the thread has not received a reply for at least 1 month and you legitimately have additional information to contribute that warrants bumping the topic to the top of the list.
    • Laximus' Ongoing Dub Releases thread, where Laximus will keep you up-to-date on the latest information for ongoing dub releases.
    There is an edit function that all users have access to in order to update their posts when they want to add additional information. The edit button is located in the bottom-left hand corner of all of your account-owned posts.

#7 Vashnik, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2018