Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Reasons to watch anime

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by Supernatural-Knight, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Hello everyone, I grew bored and we all know what that means. More stupid threads to be made.
    But this has been a question that comes to mind fairly often for me, what are your reasons for watching anime?

Yes in the beginning we found a series that interested us and we just continued watching the same medium. After a while we grow bored and rely on others to tell us what we should watch by asking for recommendations that we haven't yet seen.
    Others lose all want to watch anime like how @Doomguy told us he hadn't watched an anime for two years, and @VeritasOdiumParit losing motivation to start a new series because there isn't too much to interest him.

I've basically grown to the point that it is simply how I pass the time, good or bad I watch anime because I don't have anything else to do. I grow bored of them so often now I start a new series just because. When I finish one I immediately start another again usually just to pass time. Not even sure if I want to watch them or because I'm bored shitless of not doing anything so I might as well watch something else.
    That being said I don't really care for regular TV shows, because you now anime is so much better... or something like that.

And as a bonus topic that will be a little more fun, what are your dumbest reasons to watch an anime? I can be competitive over such a stupid topic. For example I began watching Toradora originally simply because BK had started it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    I watched Yamato. Got this music out of it
    As usual, I find great music in anime. I watch for the feelz. Oh and I like this site, can't have you guys know more then me so I try to stay in the loop of what's current.

3. Noobs I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +631 / 3 / -1
    well this is a tough request coming from a member who already watched 2000 anime. i must say you already passed the area of no return. watch romance anime.

these days, i find less anime that interests me like @VeritasOdiumParit. it really pains me to be betrayed when an anime gets slapped with fan service. its a good bonus for me as im not that picky when it comes to animation. what i have been after is the story after all.

4. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Was Yamato any good? I've been curious about it, but my issue is that I'd want to start from the very beginning of the franchise. I can't just suddenly watch the 2012 OVA. But that music is oddly convincing.
    Oh and good luck staying up to date from now on, you've got a lot to catch up with.

Not exactly a request, but a thread to discuss why we like anime. But I am way ahead of you, currently watching School Rumble S2, that counts right?
    I'm always after a good story, just haven't found one in a while. Makes me wonder if I should watch Zipang, Planetes or Legend of the Galactic Heroes considering the praise I've heard about them all.

5. Negi-Springfield Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -1
    I used to watch anime for plot.

Now I watch it for the story.

I wach anime any time Uni allows me to (so five eps per week-ish).

How about you give me a reason not to watch anime.

6. Noobs I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +631 / 3 / -1
    right but we can agree it still will point to what to watch next that will be like a recommendation. hehe about zippang, id say go for it as it raised some good flags to me. galactic is a must for anime watchers so id say go for it as well.

7. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    You've seen Zipang? That is news to me, it isn't recorded on your list that you have. Just says Ovyda and Red have watched it. Galactic has too many eps for me to just whimsically start when I don't know what to do. I have to seriously feel like watching it I think before I attempt that one. Still plan to one day though.

For plot or Plot? But I get what you mean. You've got you're hands preoccupied with Uni so you want to spend your time on something enjoyable. Whereas I've got a bit more free time, so all my time is towards anime which is why I easily get bored of it. Typically 5 eps a day is spent on new releases for me. Or it was, I'm not watching too much this season so again I grow bored with too much time.

8. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    It was okay. Also it was the remade version and all the previous stuff isn't nessary to watch. I hear it was faithful to the original so there's that.
    However...

If what Noobs said is right and you passed the point of no return then for the love you ever had for anime watch this. Let this be your final attempt if it has to, you cannot quit anime until you at least give this the chance it deserves. It's a no nonsense fictional documentary of a universe eerily similar to our own.
    This type of political banter is the bread and butter of the entire 110 episode anime.
    See how that lady spewed warmonging rhetoric to justify the war? The democracy they were operating under has been strained to it's limits, it's people been put through a lot.
    They approved the next invasion plan for the sole purpose of winning votes so their party stays in power. It's that kind of sick logic that strikes eerily close to reality but wait there's more to this scene.
    That Job Trunicht guy? The one in the yellow suit? He didn't vote for the attack plan despite being a warhawk and very much a part of the current administration. The reason was because he knew they were in no shape of winning so he hedged his bets to reap the political points later on. How many politicians wish they could say they didn't vote for the Iraq War huh?

It's a one of a kind anime, the politics from the other side is just as interesting. There's action too but the driving force is meaty dialogue like this. This has always been a hard anime to push for because it's very different. It's biggest flaw is that it's a slow grind and it's very long. I really can't say much more, this one is special.
    Oh don't look at youtube videos of it btw, there's a couple of big time spoilers. This one is fine since it's a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.

9. Noobs I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +631 / 3 / -1
    nope i havent watched zipang. i just read the mal synopsis and it seems promising. though i must warn you with any anime that has time travel in the plot. the ending would either be messed up or something you wont expect. hence, it raised some good flags to me. why get bothered with number of eps? you have all the time after all. xD

10. Lince Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    Cause there's good p0rn of it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Negi-Springfield Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -1
    Yeah, I ended up cutting down on anime rather than forums.

That's why I'm a bit more careful with what I watch, I don't want to watch anything worse than a seven, because I'll finish it and sometimes I can be stuck watching it for about two weeks.

Coming next is Psychic Detective Yakumo and Ao no Exorcist 2.

But I read about 1:30 a day in public transit, so I read about six episodes' worth of light novels in two weeks.

Lately a lot have been fun, yet also really bad (fun read, terrible anime), I'm mostly waiting for stuff to get translated in the series I care about and end up starting random series.

I don't know if I ever mentioned this, but plot is French Canadian slang for vagina.

Did you wake up this morning wondering if you would learn something useful today?
    If so hope you spoke to someone else, besides me.

12. AngeloDaniele Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Reason for watching anime...amusement.

If anime no longer amuses you for whatever reason then stop watching so that you can remember what it feels like to not have that which anime gives you, which I would say is a distraction from the shortcomings of reality as well as laughter, tears and goosebumps.

#12 AngeloDaniele, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  13. Teknoman X Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +377 / 1 / -0
    My reason I watch anime is because I damn well feel like it. That's about it.

14. KnowMeFrom Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Reasons for watching

- Shipping
    - Fanservice
    - DeviantArt
    - Cherami Leigh
    - Rule 34 (see @Lince reply above)
    - So much that can't be done properly "live action"
    - Appealing art styles as opposed to ugly American cartoons
    - Best soundtracks/great music
    - Only form of entertainment that makes me laugh, cry, and connect with the characters
    - The real world is fucked, in anime the average guy has a harem of beautiful women, super powers, or other reason life is awesome

• Like Like x 3
  15. AngeloDaniele Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. VeritasOdiumParit Cult of Personality

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    Well, I mainly watch anime because of the unique and interesting storylines. But, these days I tend to find everything else is just all the same. The story will be about 'X' who is a high school student, who suddenly discovers (insert magical powers, divine beings, zombies, fairies, a new world, etc). I think once you have seen 152 different series of anime. You just run out of things to watch.

Recently I have watched Memories and Freedom. But, I wouldn't exactly recommend them straight away to people as the stories don't stand out as much for me. (Especially as I have seen quite a lot of different series of anime, as well as reading books and watching a lot films). Trying to find a new, unique, artistic story that has a message with some sort of meaning or that makes you think more about the world we live in is difficult.

17. Ddos_Dragon Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    I say that my first series is Sailor Moon.. which is true. My sister shoved it down my throat. However, the manga for Soul Eater is actually what got me into anime. I continued watching anime because I liked seeing the adaptations of the manga I had read. Somewhere along the line, anime and manga switched roles, and I started reading manga because I liked the anime, and wanted more.

This is where it got complicated: I started viewing anime is such an excess, that I ended up not completing hundreds of shows, leaving them at episode 3 or 4. However, I bookmarked the episode I left off on, and promised myself I'd watch it later so as to "respect the creator's efforts." As of late, I've stopped viewing new anime, and have just been widdling down at this list -- I got it down to 203 titles. My current reason for watching anime is not for entertainment, but for obligation. It's actually why I flinch at larger titles, because I'll have to complete them.

My reason for watching anime is because I have to, heh.

That being said, the satisfaction of watching anime that's actually good after watching a bunch of shows like C3, Ikkitousen, 11eyes, etc. is indescribable. Most people wade through shit to get to gold -- I eat the shit until I get to gold.

18. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    YES that's why! That's what I always do! Enough to get mad sometimes about it and dock points off an anime.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jmriz Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Let's see, I watch anime for enjoyment but also for critiquing purposes.

20. Dylanar Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +238 / 1 / -0
    I watch anime because I just simply want to....................
    ...And for the "plot" and plot....