Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Pikachu Statue Mysteriously Appears Overnight in New Orleans Park

Discussion in 'The Asylum' started by Vladnyx, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    In an act of guerilla art, a statue of the iconic electric-type Pokémon Pikachu was installed overnight in the Coliseum Square Park in New Orleans. Authorities are at a loss to explain it, especially since the statue looks quite heavy.

The statue was placed on top of an old, unused fountain, and it appears to be made of fiberglass, with a cement base. Early photos of the statue also show a piece of wood that reads, "Hope you like it! Have fun in N.O.! -Sophie." The letters N.O likely reference New Orleans as many have theorized.
    Pikachu Statue.JPG
    Already, the statue is attracting lots of visitors, many of whom are taking to social media to share images of the new "Pokémonument."

The Lower Garden District stands out among New Orleans neighborhoods for its elegant parks and statuary, such as the elegant fountain at Coliseum Square, the historic Margaret Haughery statute dedicated to the “Mother of Orphans,” the classical “Birth of a Muse” … and now, Pikachu.

Neighbors around Coliseum Square woke up Sunday morning to discover a larger-than-life Pikachu statue planted in an empty, defunct fountain on Terpsichore Street, about midway between the muse on Prytania Street and the park.

We saw it in the morning, but we didn’t see it the night before. “It’s a kick. It’s cool to see people coming into the neighborhood.”

With the sudden dominance of Pokemon Go in Internet culture, news of the statue drew curiosity seekers even faster than a Pokemon lure. By Monday morning, a post about it on a Reddit forum about Pokemon Go had already drawn more than 5,000 votes of approval, and people from around the city were coming to see if it was real or just a Photoshop hoax.
    Pikachu Statue01.JPG
    Even a Algiers Point resident, said she had to make a stop in the Lower Garden District on her way to work Monday morning to see for herself after reading about it on Reddit. “I thought, ‘Oh my God, it’s in our city,'” she said. “I think it’s really cool. It’s amazing someone took the time to make this.”

The statue seems to have been specifically intended for its Terpsichore Street location, with a base sized to fit that inside the old fountain space. Its appearance is meticulously burnished to appear as aged as any New Orleans landmark. The only clue to its creation is a hashtag emblazoned on the back of the base, #Pokemonument.

The Coliseum Square Association makes upkeep of the neighborhood parks and fountains a central part of its mission, and Pikachu had already drawn their interest as well.
    [​IMG]
    “Were not large PokemonGo fans, but think it’s kinda cool,” The Coliseum Square Association said in an email to Uptown Messenger. “I assume it’s not permanent and that whoever put it there will take it away at some point. If they leave it, maybe it could become part of that operating fountain one day.” Karon Reese, vice president of the neighborhood association, visited the statue Monday morning. The association has no official jurisdiction over the space and any ultimate decision will be up to the city, Reese said, but she said she sees it as an asset.

“It’s funny. It’s one of those New Orleans surprises we just come to expect after a while,” Reese said. “Right now, it’s a defunct fountain. It’s actually on our list of fountains to get running again. So as long as it’s sitting here without any water flowing, it’s OK with me. … What I think is kind of good about Pokemon is the way it brings people out into neighborhoods, and we’re always thrilled to have people in our neighborhood and in our parks.”​

2. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    I'll be so pissed if they decide to take it down. If anything, if they're gonna try and get the fountain up and running again, they should at least move it.

Also, I am in favor of them installing a plaque on the statue

3. Granger Trophy Collector

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hang it a sec so it just showed up? I didnt know that, thats really cool!

4. shedninja the sites bug/bug maker Moderator JustDubs Site Admin

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    my plan to make pokemon known to the world is working muahahhahahahahhahah

and yummy I don't know if its still up it has been what 4 years or something like that