Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Opinion on Same-Sex Marriage?

Discussion in 'Hall of the Elders' started by Timekeeper, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    Well, this was bound to show up on the HoE sometime, so I guess let's go. As the title suggests, what do you think of same sex marriage?

In my opinion, I really don't care either way. If two men or women want to get married, let em. Most people get pissy about this topic and say it's immoral or against God, yadda yadda yadda. My response to them that almost instantaneously shuts them up is that the majority of them pick and choose which part of their holy scriptures to follow.

Take the whole Kim Davis crap that's been hanging around like a rotten sandwich in the far back of the fridge. She claims to be an ardent follower of her religion, but I've seen a bunch of people claim that she's been divorced 3 or 4 times.

So, discuss. And please, no abuse of caps lock. Thanks

2. dedseed1 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    They should take out the "same sex" & just call it marriage. How is this even an issue anymore?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    These are probably the two biggest arguments as to why people don't like same-sex marriage:

1. "Same-sex marriage/homosexuality is a sin."

Depending on how a person interprets their holy scriptures, and believe me a LOT of people interpret it this way, people think that homosexuality/same-sex marriage is a sin and should be heavily condemned. A lot of people also think that it's a choice and not something you're born with and have even gone out of their way to condition these people to purge them of homosexual thoughts. Again, it's all how you interpret your holy scripture.

2. "It's not a traditional marriage."

As I said before, there are a LOT of people in the US and the world who get divorces every day. But depending upon your religion, it could be considered okay and not against God. I'm not very well-versed with Islam or Judaism, but with Christianity, if you're a Catholic and get a divorce it's considered an act against God. However, if you get a divorce and you're a Protestant (e.g: Methodists, Baptists, Episcopal, Presbyterian, etc.), it ISN'T. It'd take me a while to explain why, but basically this is it:

Divorce:

Catholic: Bad
    Protestant: Okay

4. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    My personal feelings: there's nothing wrong with it at all. How can a relationship between consenting parties which affects no one outside their relationship be seen as amoral? The notion that being attracted to someone of the same sex is, somehow, wrong is just ludicrous.

And for those who say that it's a "lifestyle decision" or a "choice", you can just get in the f**king sea. You're attracted to whomever you're attracted to, regardless of gender, that's just how it is. If you're straight, did you choose to be? No? Neither did your homosexual counterparts. No one picked up a brochure one day and thought "you know, I really need to get in on this gay thing."

With that out of the way, with regards to Kim Davis, ours is, and should be, a secular government. Regardless of what your religion or personal beliefs deem to be "moral", the government is obligated to be objective and serve all of its constituents, regardless of the opinions of the minority or even the majority. You don't get to deny another group of people their basic rights simply because you disapprove of or disagree with who they are.

Priests, pastors, rabbis, or any other religious leader is just that, a religious leader, and is under no obligation to perform any ceremonies that do not conform to their beliefs. But, as a government official, your personal beliefs cannot come into play in the performance of your duties. You are under oath and obligation to serve the people of the United States. All of them. If you cannot, in good conscience, perform the duties inherent to your station and necessary for the fulfillment of the liberties and rights guaranteed to the people whom you are obliged to serve, then you no place in government.

It is impossible to have a civil, intelligent, and prosperous society in which citizens are permitted to be discriminated against in public settings and by government officials.

#4 BaconMan8910, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  5. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    Exactly so. I've used this analogy many times before and I'll use it again:

Same sex marriage in a nutshell:

Me: "I'm gonna eat that cupcake."
    Friend: "You can't eat that."
    Me: "Why?"
    Friend: "Because I'm on a diet."

As with Kim Davis, what infuriates me is that this is probably the future cycle of what she's going to do at her job:

1. Deny same-sex couples licenses.
    2. Go to jail.
    3. Promise she won't do it again.
    4. See step 1.

And the annoying thing is that she can't be fired like any normal position seeing that it's an elected position. There's only 4 solutions to getting rid of her.

1. She becomes so disabled that she can't perform her duties and the position is given to a deputy (you know, the people that are issuing the couples the licenses because Davis still refuses to do it personally.)
    2. She's impeached by the state House and Senate, which is unlikely because a lot of them probably support her actions.
    3. She dies
    4. They keep her locked up until she resigns.

6. dedseed1 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I've said this before and would seem that it could use repeated. As a straight Christian male, homosexuality is not my cup of tea therfore I do not practice it, but it's not my place (or anyone else's for that matter) to judge or condemn anyone else for their personal preferences. If you're not gay, marry the opposite gender and focus on THAT union because no other union (gay or straight) is any of your business.

TL;DR
    Worry about yourself and no one else.

Just my humble opinion

7. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Normally analogies like this fall into the realm of hyperbole. But, honestly, that's kind of an apt comparison. =P
    There's a revolutionary idea. Haha

8. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    Send this to Fox News. They'll really appreciate your opinion

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The word marriage is so tainted, I don't see why either side would fight for the right to exclusively have that right or share that right. Call it by a different name, not tainted by "infidelity/adultery" and "divorce", and they can set the stage of what true love can actually be. New word for a new era of acceptance both in law and human decency.

/shrugs
    Just my opinion.

10. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    To second dedseed1 I'm a Catholic and don't approve of this marriage either but it's not my place to judge my fellow man. It's not like I could see into their hearts anyway.

Just... be happy please. I'm more concern with the rampant divorces more then anything else.

• Like Like x 3
  11. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    It's a difficult thing to ask. To be happy.

Honestly, I think if there is any real issue with marriage, it's that it's held as the epitome of a loving relationship or expression of one's affection in our society.

This tends to lead to uninformed and knee-jerk decisions.

I think divorce is so common because people rush into getting married. Thinking that if they love one another, that everything will work out.

Honestly, I recommend moving in together before ever even considering marriage, as it's a binding legal partnership that it's difficult to absolve.

No matter how well you think you know someone, you don't really know them until you're spending every day with them.

I feel that, if we want to combat divorce, we need to change the way we think, socially, about marriage.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BK-201 The Black Reaper Moderator

Ratings:
    +124 / 1 / -0
    As a Muslim, I too feel it's none of my business what other people get up to in their lives. Just because I don't agree with the way you live your life doesn't mean I have a right to tell you how to live and I would expect to be able to live my life the way I wish as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

We all have differing views and values and we should all just respect each other.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    I'm against it. And by that, I mean the "marriage" part in its entirety. To Kay and I, marriage is just an expensive slip of paper that helps the government keep everyone in line.
    In regards to other people (regardless of sex combinations) getting married, go nuts. It's not my place to say what you can and can't do. ("It's against my religion for same-sex couples to get married." Well how about you don't go forcing your religion on others??~~)

14. Znelson Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I do not support "Gay" marriage, in Fact i don't support marriage of any kind. Marriage serves no true practical purpose in our current society. The only thing it does is link two people together and generate a tax break for those fortunate enough to find someone they decided to spend the rest of their life with. The tax break makes little to no sense to me, the only reason ever been explained to me is that its meant to help individuals start a family. A child is not a result of marriage however, a child is a result of sex. Thus the tax break makes no sense to me. The way i see it marriage has no purpose and no need in our current society. We should simply remove it and just treat everyone equally for the purposes of taxation. If you wish to spend your life with someone then do it, if you want to start a family with someone then do it, if you feel the need to have a ceremony where you want to promise your heart to another person then
    [​IMG]

that being said i support equal rights of all kinds. including equal marriage opportunity even if i find the whole notion of marriage absurd in our current society.

• Like Like x 1
  15. minisiets Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    50 years from now the denial of rights to same sex couples will be looked back upon the same way women's suffrage or the end of slavery is viewed today; that is, the religious zealots that sought to deny them these rights will be viewed as on the wrong side of history. Yet no lessons will be learned; people will still continue to cherrypick their holy books, rationalizing away that somehow their god was always in favor of homosexuality, everyone 50 years ago was just misinterpreting it, and they'll be moving the goalposts to the next big hot button issue to force their ideology on. Such was the case with slavery, which is explicitly endorsed in the Bible, but is now continually ignored and swept under the rug of "That's taken out of context!" and other plot conveniences. God has a funny way of always coincidentally adapting his views to the person currently talking about him, irrespective of what his book actually says.

Incidentally, it just so happens that God agrees with everything I just said, so you should totally listen to me.

PS. God also says give me money. My paypal account is [email protected]

Thanks a bunchies! <3

16. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Going a bit off topic I guess, but still a bit in topic. When you tell someone (be it a man or a woman) that you want to marry them, you tell them that "I want to spend the rest of my life here on earth with you" that's different from just saying to them "lets live with each other". You are telling them that you want to share their problems, their heartache, that you love them and only them. It's not simply "a piece of paper" it's a statement. When I told Rennya that I wanted to marry her, I didn't tell her that I wanted to live with her. I told her that I wanted to live my whole life with her. That I wanted to provide for her. That I only have eyes for her. Saying it that way has much more meaning then just saying it out right to them. Marriage is a commitment, not a piece of paper.

As for gay marriage, yeah that's fine by me. Hell, I'm bisexual so of course I would support it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    I don't really have an opinion on this matter unless this counts...
    It doesn't matter what gender you like. whether it's someone you like from the opposite gender or the same. If you feel comfortable around that special person, then that's your choice.
    So I believe
    'if you see a future with that person then go for it! Regardless of their gender.' :cool::D

18. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Heizengard's view on marriage. As for same-sex marriage, I do not agree too well with that one. For one thing, that was the way I was taught. For another, I am utterly straight, so I cannot see why I would be interested in another guy. I cannot relate to that feeling.
    This does not mean that I will be a jerk to supporters or participants in same-sex marriage. Just do not try to make me look like a bad guy for not liking the idea, or an intolerable idiot for not agreeing with the idea. My lab partner in chemistry was a guy with a boyfriend, and we had some pretty good conversations. I think that is enough proof that I can tolerate it.
    I think what I cannot tolerate is when another guy tries to get me to go out on a date with him. I have not even gone with a lady yet!

19. Shogun13 Lord of the Dance

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    This is petty, but you used the wrong version of immoral/amoral. Immoral means people view it as bad. Amoral means moral judgments are not appropriate. So being in a gay marriage can be immoral or moral. Cabbage existing is amoral. It's simply a fact with no real arguments against it.

Love has nothing to do with the historical construct of marriage, to the point that people up to Montaigne thought loving your spouse would make you less fertile and thus go against the reasoning of marriage (to produce children). As divorce has become more acceptable to society, one has to question what marriage means if one separates religion from it. Religion still holds up marriage as the ideal human union, but I'm not sure society. Marriage is sort of a paper tiger outside of stuff like tax breaks. To most, it's just proof of a large amount of love, but it seems like a honorary title at best now. So yeah, I sort of agree with most people in the thread that says marriage itself is of questionable value anyways.

20. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    You're correct. I must have got the two mixed up at the time of writing.