Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Nintendo Turns 125 Today

Discussion in 'Video Game News' started by Sporadic, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Nintendo, best known as the creator of the dog from Duck Hunt, turns 125 today, and if that doesn't seem very old, consider this: when Nintendo first started, the U.S. had 38 states, and the president was Benjamin Harrison.

Yep, today we know Nintendo for iconic video games like Barker Bill's Trick Shooting and Ken Griffey, Jr. Presents Major League Baseball, but for most of the company's life it was developing and producing cards, toys, and all sorts of other random ventures. Nintendo didn't actually get into electronic gaming until the 1970s.

Nintendo was born on September 23, 1889, and right now in Japan it is September 23, 2014. Happy birthday, Nintendo! Keep up the good work.

http://www.dubtopia.eu/japanese-culture/nintendo-turns-125-today

• Like Like x 1
  2. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Huh. Well what do you know, I didn't know that.

That old NES though, man that thing would only work if you blow it!

3. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

But seriously. Nintendo designed its NES connector using nickel pins bent into a position so that they'd give slightly when a cartridge was inserted, then spring back after it was removed. These pins became less springy after repeated use, which make it hard for them to firmly grasp the game cartridge's connectors. To make things worse, the cartridges themselves had copper connectors. Copper tarnishes when exposed to air, causing it to develop a distinctive patina. Plus blowing into the cartridge made the contacts rust.

4. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I remember reading about that years afterwards. "Blowing" it just made it worse but hey! What the heck did we know?

Actually mine still works. Take that Xbox 360!