Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Nintendo announces Fire Emblem Fates to have same sex marriage options

Discussion in 'Video Game News' started by Heizengard, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys, this is the first of my video game media posts that I actually wrote myself since it originated as a post on my facebook. Anyway hopefully you guys will enjoy this and try to keep the topic civil.

So Nintendo stated that the new Fire Emblem game will have same sex marriage in it, and I think that's great. I'm a supporter of same sex marriage and I'm not exactly straight. the stated that there will be one of two characters available for same sex marriage.... and people are complaining about this. Why? Because it's not enough choices. People seem to want all the male and female characters as options, which from a narrative stand point is INSANE to do.

Fire Emblem is a story heavy series, and if you have everyone in the game be bisexual (talking about video games), the characters lose something. It's like that in any kind of story. If all your characters are a single sexuality, the characters become bland, boring and all the same, and Fire Emblem has a large cast of characters. This kind of thing is fine in something like Harvest Moon or Tomodachi Life where the narrative isn't as strong or important, or there just isn't one at all.

Now some of you might already be sharpening your knives and pitchforks at my bisexual thing. Let me make this clear; it is fine for your narrative if all the characters are either gay or straight, BUT it depends on how it's done. If your just force feeding it to the player, then it looses it's importance and the characters lose a bit of something.

I LOVE that Nintendo is doing this 100%. I think they are handling it perfectly from a narrative perspective and I look forward to playing the game for myself.... whenever that will be.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    After the whole Tomadachi Life thing, they would be silly not to include it. Hell, it was silly not include it in that game. =P

I don't think every character should inherently be bisexual nor of preference to one gender or another. That said, it stands to reason that some characters will be homosexual, others will be heterosexual, some bisexual or pansexual, and still others may be asexual.

I think it's important that writers write characters as they envision them. A homosexual character who is created for the sake of having a homosexual character will be just that: "the homosexual character".

That said, I also think that writers should bear in mind the diversity of humankind and their characters. And, in games in which player-choice is a large component (like in RPGs), players should be afforded the opportunity to make choices in line with their own personal preferences.

Regardless, I am glad to see this option. Progress in civil rights and public understanding and perception is never a bad thing. I was disappointed to find this option lacking in Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Also, side note, I would like the option to turn down getting married to a character in FE, regardless of my support level with them. I accidentally got roped into marrying Chrom against my will. =P

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shogun13 Lord of the Dance

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Sadly, Chrom needs to get married due to plot reasons so I always seemed to grind his romance out early so it doesn't go with somebody else that I'm trying to develop their romance naturally....
    The odd thing is that you get a super support from choosing the same-sex romances compared to their child from heterosexual couples. This leads me to think that I'd probably make my game all same-sex because I never seemed to use the kids in Awakening. Of course, if they did something dickish like keeping certain classes in the younger generation.....
    I'm still sort of upset that Conquest and Birthright are seperate. Not sure why that doesn't get discussed.

4. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    I didn't look into it too much. In all honesty, I thought that Nintendo was doing like, a cut version and an uncut version as not to offend anyone. Didn't know that it was the full game split in half till sometime last night.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shogun13 Lord of the Dance

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, it's something like in Chapter 6, your birth family's army comes to save you, so you either go with them or you stay with the evil family.
    Question is whether the DLC to give the other version later comes out.
    I mean I can see how it's sort of two games, but it feels like making a person pay twice when a quarter of it is the same seems a bit dumb.
    However, Pokemon does it much worse, that much is clear.

#5 Shogun13, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  6. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
  7. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Okay unpopular opinion time. My thoughts? I don't care. Why? It's fiction. Does that make it right? No it doesn't, but these are not real people. These are video game characters. Another thing is that this is a different culture. Again, that doesn't make it right, but people need to take into account that a, shockingly enough, there ARE different cultures. Getting off topic. Yeah it's stupid, but it's been in anime and video games before and NO ONE has batted an eye. And before anyone gets mad at me, need I remind you that I'm bisexual and I don't give two fucks about this because I can separate real life from a fictional story with fake people. Yes, I understand that it can "trigger" something in certain people and I do hate it, but to get so mad over something like that, something that might get censored when it gets released here mind you, is just as stupid.

This has been another one of Heizengard's rants.

8. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    I don't think anyone is losing their **** over it.

But it is wrong. Regardless of what culture it is created in, conversion is wrong. And that doesn't change just because it's been done before.

Can it be portrayed in artistic mediums? Sure. Portrayal of something wrong doesn't equate to condoning it. You can even portray it intelligently.

But I don't feel that it's portrayed in FE for any other reason than to just be there.

My biggest issue is that you can't romance that character as a female, despite her sexuality. You only have the option to try to convert her sexuality.

On a personal note, I just find it creepy. Even when it's in anime, it really creeps me out. Not in a "Nintendo is evil" kinda way, but more of a "this seems kinda rapey and now I'm uncomfortable" kinda way. I also get creeped out by sex or personality changes, or body swapping in games and anime. Maybe it's because it just seems so invasive? It doesn't make me mad, it just makes my skin crawl.

9. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    No I agree. It is wrong, and it is creepy. I was confused by the whole thing mostly with her not being the lesbian option and it is wrong, but at the same time, you don't have to do it. The way the article you posted was written felt like it was written by someone who's not a fan of Fire Emblem, or video games in general, and it felt like they were bitching for the sake of bitching and the fact that it was tumblr just kind of annoyed me, but that's a story for a different thread.

10. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Fair enough. Tumblr isn't really a reliable source. But I posted that article just because it was the first one that I ran across and it seemed to have been confirmed by other sources.

I didn't really read over the author's opinion. They may or may not have a well-reasoned argument for or against. But I was more concerned with the subject of the post rather than the post itself.

Still, I have to wonder about Nintendo's reasoning behind the decision. I mean, I guess that's just how they wanted to write her character. It just seems a little contrived.

11. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    Game is pre-ordered.