Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

New Rig, Need Help

Discussion in 'Tech Temple' started by Vapen, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Vapen Probably Asleep

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶u̶i̶l̶d̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶f̶e̶e̶l̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶m̶i̶s̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶I̶t̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶l̶a̶g̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶o̶p̶e̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶s̶.̶ ̶M̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶l̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶r̶c̶r̶a̶f̶t̶ ̶2̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶.̶

CPU: Intel core i7-5820K
    PSU: Thermaltake TR2
    MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7
    RAM: Corsair Value Select DDR4 8GB (x2)
    GPU: EVGA NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5

Edit :Figured out the problem

#1 Vapen, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  2. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
  3. Vapen Probably Asleep

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    At least think it's the problem, under powered ram.

4. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    hmmm What are you running? I mean unless your running a lot of programs or some huge programs 8 GB should be plenty I guess it all depends on what your doing..... also what version of windows you running 64 bit or 32 as 32 will only support up to 4GB of ram even if you have 8....

Nice rig Between :)

Also what type of hard drive do you have SSD or HDD?

as an SDD might help with speed during boot up if windows is install on it or an application that does alot of read writes...

5. Vapen Probably Asleep

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I have Windows 7 64 bit. Windows 8 is garbage. And just HDD.
    From what I understand, talked about it on the chat last night, the MOBO and RAM MHz being different and causing everything to run slowly. The RAM is 2133 MHz that I have right now, and the MOBO is3333 MHz, was something I kind of overlooked. So until I change out the RAM, which I hope is really the only problem, I won't know if there is something else wrong with it.

6. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0

It should be compatible if i am looking at the specs for the right MOBO

MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7
    Memory Standard DDR4-2133/PC4-17000 DDR4-2400/PC4-19200 (O.C.) DDR4-2666/PC4-21300 (O.C.) DDR4-3000/PC4-24000 (O.C.) DDR4-3333/PC4-26600 (O.C.)

The 3333MHZ just means that your MOBO can operate with Higher graded RAM but still should work with 2133.....

Altho Higher grade RAM would make your Computer faster your MOBO should still be able to support your DDR4 Ram with no issues....

Again tho I could be looking at the wrong MOBO.....

Also you should look into an SSD it does make a big difference for loading time on games and windows. you dont need a big one I use a 240gb SSD for my OS and Games and i got a cheap 1TB HDD for Video and pictures ETC.... i swear you wont regret it :p my windows 10 boots up in 10 seconds :).

7. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    Truly if you got the extra funds get a SSD. The read/write times are much much faster. Then if you require a secondary drive for backup or etc your golden. But for a HDD my personal preference is Western Digital. Personally I really feel the issue lies with your Harddrive. A PC is only as good as it's worst component. You got a kicking CPU and Graphics Card, good ram, but if your running a regular Harddrive that might explain why things are slow at least for loading up apps or programs. I'm not sure if you've done any overclocking or not but I know you can overclock your CPU and GPU speeds. And as Cpt said that MOBO supports up to DDR-4 3333/PC4-26600 (O.C.). It's just your running the Standard 2133MHz.

Also what games are you trying to play? And could you list what settings your trying to play them on? If your unsure of settings Nvidia's Geforce Experience can optimize game settings for you based on your PC's components that are the most optimal. Lastly consider upgrading Win7 to Win10. The DirectX12 really makes a impact. That and it is nothing like that dreaded Win8. I really can't see it being your Ram. Iv'e got 32GB of 2133 GSkill Ripjaws and even Witcher 3 uses only around 9GB's of my 32GB of memory when I view it in task manager.

8. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How much juice does your power supply provide? It could be a factor in how much the motherboard is willing to draw and share across all connected hardware. You at least have a minimum amount, otherwise the computer just wouldn't stay on at all. But if you have enough left over, you can draw a little more power for the hardware. You might also want to check your Power Plan settings to make sure it's not on an "energy saver" type plan. Make sure it's on a "maximum performance" plan.

Also, yes, a SSD does make the difference. I've noticed how much faster Windows boots up when installed on a SSD. Games will benefit from an SSD as well. If you don't do very much gaming, then you can probably get something around the 200GB for both the OS and the games you play. However, It'd still be best to keep your games separate from your operating system, that way the operating system and the game you're playing aren't contending for priority in read/write operations. My gaming system is set up with all my games on a 1TB HDD (because a ~128 GB SSD just wasn't big enough to store ALL the games I had installed on my laptop, which I was migrating from) and the Windows 10 operating system is installed on the SSD. Even though the games are on the HDD, the games still perform a lot faster because Windows isn't running on the HDD, thus the game can have as much read/write time as it wants without contending for it.

9. Vapen Probably Asleep

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    The conclusion we got the other night on the chat, I think it was with Nil, was that the RAM was causing the problem.

I have a 2 TB HDD as my main and then two additional HDDs that are loaded with anime and other junk from when I was a CM. I haven;t done any overclocking, that I have no experience in what so ever.

The game I'm trying to run right now is Starcraft 2, and it's saying that I am unable to play it on high settings and autos it all down to low and it still barely runs, My now ancient emachine still runs it better on low settings. As far as going to win10, I kind of want to just stick with 7 right now. I tried the upgrade and it ran worse and then I'm seeing you need to basically do a fresh install of 10 to get it running smoothly with no problems.

It's 500 watt PSU, and I checked everything in a parts list that takes the amount of power each part needs and it came to around 320 or something. I may habe to look at the power saver thing too.

I started installing games on to another HDD a while ago too. I'm guessing I may have to try getting an SSD and see how much that really helps. there is an open spot for it in the case, just get annoyed reinstalling everything, already did it with this rig a couple times, sent back the MOBO once because of some issues with PCI slots, and the graphics card because it wasn't detecting any video output after I updated.

I guess if I'm just gonna get a SSD I may as well install win10 on it. Glad I get paid this week...

10. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Depending if you have just your games installed exclusively to a drive, you could probably just reassign the old drive to a new letter and assign the new drive with the drive letter that was used for your games, this is of course after you have copied over the files to the new drive (or do a force move using the Shift key when dragging and dropping). For Starcraft II, if you use the Battle.Net Desktop Application launcher, you can always change the game directory after you copy/move the game to another location. This is the same for the Steam library as well.
    For the Battle.Net Desktop Application, it would be Logo -> Settings -> Game Install/Update. You can change the default install directory and even have it scan for Blizzard games (every time Battle.net launches). If you copy over the games files (instead of moving them, I haven't tested whether it will keep the "installed" game in there or if it will disappear from the settings when the folder disappears) you can change the location for each game you have installed.
    For Steam: Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Steam Library Folders
    You can then add the new location and remove the old.

Reassigning a drive letter to a drive is done through the Disk Management tool through the Microsoft Management Console. On Windows 10, you can access it by the key combination Win + X, then left clicking on "Disk Management" but on Windows 7, I think the fastest way to find it is through a search in the start menu.

If you're brave enough to browse your Windows registry, then you probably won't even have to do the above (other than moving files, and ensuring those game files, including the desktop applications that launch your games, aren't in use). If you installed all your games under a main folder, for example: "Z:\Games", you can do a registry search for "Z:\Games" and replace each result with the new drive letter, and even omit the "Games" part. RegEdit might be a slow process in doing it, but RegAlyzer might allow you to do a "search and replace." I haven't used it in a long time, so I don't remember if it can or not. But it's pretty much the same as RegEdit, but provides a few extra features such as listing the results in a tab in the search window. You can grab it from the Safer Networking website, the same people that developed Spybot S&D, if you don't already have it.

Hopefully this information will help speed up the transition if/when it does happen.

11. Vapen Probably Asleep

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I only have one game that I've actually made any progress on, so right now transitioning isn't that bad. As for assigning drive letters, yeah, I had to do that with a HDD. It was connecting and powering on, but I wasn't able to access it until I went in and assigned a drive letter to.
    I just need to install Win10 to a flash drive or burn it I guess and just go from there at this point.

Hopefully that really helps this thing get working and I can actually start fazing out this old machine, and make it more of a backup if something happens down the line.
    I just really want to play Starcraft 2 right now lol

Thanks for the tips guys.

12. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    @Vapen

from what you just explained you are right it sounds to me like there is a greater issue then just speed. But I I still don't think its because the RAM is under performing it could just be the RAM itself is bad.... or could be something else completely.

Also for the RAM I assume its 2 sticks of 4 GB DDR4 do you have them in the proper DIMMS?

if you don't put your RAM according to whats in the manual it could cause your RAM to run slower and be unstable.

SO in your Case if you have 2 RAM sticks you would put it in DIMM1 and DIMM5 According to the manual.

Anyways I am sure you already have it in the right DIMMS but just something to think about if it wasn't though of before that could save you money :)

Your 500W power supply should be enough to run your computer provided you dont have anything else on it

Vid Card,
    CPU
    RAM
    3 HDD
    MOBO

TO me it does sound like you have a hardware issue somewhere causing the rest of your computer to run slow what that is I cant tell you... Trial and error would be best way to go.. Keep your receipt and if that does not fix your issue return it and buy a new part and exchange it out...

Also this is just from personal experience it could be your power supply its self is bad there isn't anything weirder on a computer when the power supply is pouched I had that happened to me and replaced the PSU and it fixed my Rig right up....

13. Vapen Probably Asleep

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, wasn't the ram. When I put the new RAM I did get a debug code d6: Console Output/Input devices/Console initialization and Load Option ROM (VGA, RAID, parallel ports, serial ports....)
    Then the disc drive would start spinning like crazy, unplugged both of them, and no problem. Just a weird thing I thought I'd share.

So from everything else I've read here, seems my next step would be to go for a SSD and see if that helps get it going. If that fails, I may try changing out the PSU

14. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    Well I would get an SSD regardless and install your OS on it.... Its only going to speed up your computer...

I would still look at replacing your PSU

Can you list all the parts you have on your computer?

DVD roms how many and HDD i think you said 3 it is fully possible that your psu is not enough juice for your CPU
    Also how many fans are you running on the box and how is it liquid cooled?

I dont think getting an SSD card will completely solve your issue altho it should help I think there is something else at work here from what you described anyways thats what i am picking up that somewhere there is something not working as it should...

15. Vapen Probably Asleep

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    What's listed above, but now 4 sticks of RAM, 3 HDD, 2 DVD/Disc Drives, 3 fans, and Arctic Freezer i11 CPU Cooler. Don't have liquid cooling in it.

Wanted to add another fan, only other place is the cover that comes off to add to the mother board.

16. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmm. Check to make sure all fans are running with adequate power. You may need to use a voltage meter to see if a connection is hot or not and how much voltage is being sent. You could have heat disbursement issues due to low voltage being supplied to fans because of faulty wires, which could mean a bad/failing power supply. It's at least something to look at to cover all possibilities. I'd probably check this part first before spending money that you don't absolutely have to, especially on an SSD. Yes it would still be a benefit to get one, but it's not necessary to troubleshoot a computer that is at least operational and usable for less hardware stressing tasks. I'd recommend holding off on purchasing an SSD until you can comfortably afford to do so. If all wires test just fine and all fans work as intended, then you can probably rule out heating issues and faulty wiring altogether.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0

Yea I completely agree with the above.

I think looking at a new PSU like a 650W or a 750W should be your next purchase as well personally.
    I am thinking that maybe your wattage supply is not enough for your rig and when it gets busy and needs more power it cant get it and bogs down.... but that's just theory...

Or even better than buying a new one if you have another computer at home with a bigger PSU try that one on your machine see if it improves or not...

18. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    I think your PSU will be find based on the hardware you've provided, though cutting it a bit close. I used a quick tool to see how much power your system is likely to use.
    [​IMG]
    Holds back Linux fandom. My personal computer is currently running Fedora 22.

19. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    Personally I feel you need a bigger PSU after seeing the wattage of your PSU. From what iv'e dug up a Intel Core i7-5820K runs around 75-100 watts while ideal and while under load reaches around 200 watts or more. This only gets worse if overclocked. As for the EVGA NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 from what iv'e read requires a minimum of 400 watts. Don't hold me to it because there were multiple EVGA GTX 960's and I didn't have the exact one in your rig but's it is a safe assumption. So already if under load your near 500-600 watts which is near your PSU's max wattage. You can run your system but if under load it's going to bottle down which I think explains your slower to less than desired performance. If you can get your hands on a higher wattage PSU to test with do so vs buying a unnecessary SSD, although it will certainly help performance. However I got to stand by Vashnik on what he said about getting one only if you have the funds saved up for one.

I also used EVGA's Power Meter in accordance with your specs and it listed at least a 500 Watt PSU minimum. Personally I would look for a 650 to 750 watt 80+G rated power supply. I wouldn't get anything more than this unless your looking to get another GPU for SLI/Crossfire function which does require a hefty amount of wattage.

#19 Vladnyx, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    @Kiri

I got around 451 W for a load wattage on the website I went to.....

I agree with @Vladnyx that I personally think the PSU is not enough when he is pushing the system. it might be ok when hes just surfing the web but when he kicks his Video card into gear playing the big games I think the PSU is lacking... but there is only one way to find out and it is to swap it with another bigger unit.... (insert That's what she said comment here :( ) :p

Also about your Linux Comment
    I am like you but instead of Linux I love AIX :) love everything about it :) Reminds me of my DOS days back when i was like 6 years old :p