Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Need new ideas

Discussion in 'SOS Brigade (Clubs)' started by Metazoxan, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Okay I'm at a bit of a loss. The manga of the month thing just doesn't want to work out. Discussions start of well enough half the time but always die down. It doesn't take long before it's basically just me and maybe one other person and then if either of us get busy it completely dies. I'll probably give another one a shot someday but for now I want to start fresh with something else. I've been thinking about this for a while especially after finals ended but I can't think of any ideas that I really like.

I need something manga related that people can get into. So I've decided to ask for help brain storming. Give me a full idea, give me part of an idea, give me anything that looks like an idea. I want to get this club up and moving again and manga of the month discussions just aren't cutting it. I'm thinking maybe something that allows people to follow their own schedule a bit more and isn't forcing people to get a certain amount done within a week or be left behind.

2. Eclipse Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Is it possible to kind of do a white elephant exchange? Everyone suggests a manga which gets assigned to a different member.

3. AmatureManga Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    One idea i had was for ppl to like to post their original manga ideas and ppl can give suggestions on improving the idea. In fact i have my own formula that i would love to share that i use everytime  i'm creating a manga and it seems to work for me.

4. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I'd say until activity picks back up just do one manga at a time and have a strict reading schedule. Nothing too demanding but strict in the sense that we discuss certain portions of the manga as its being read. Then at the end you allot a certain amount of time for final discussions and for slackers to catch up. And then move right on to another round of nominations without wasting time. Discussion threads can always be revisited as a new activity is going on.

I'm guilty of not participating in the last couple but now that my work schedule is slowing back down I can get back in full-swing.

5. obdriver6 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Even though I joined this group to discuss manga, I have not participated in any activity but hopefully that will chance soon. I like @Sporadic idea and we should give it a try. One manga at a time seems very reasonable and I'm sure we can all decide on a schedule.

6. Kagehiko Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I also agree with @Sporadic idea

7. Marhuto Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    @Sporadic you took the entire cake - not even a slice for me! :D

8. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Is it possible to kind of do a white elephant exchange? Everyone suggests a manga which gets assigned to a different member.

Hmmmm. but then what would they do after that? It sounds like it could be interesting so could you explain more?

One idea i had was for ppl to like to post their original manga ideas and ppl can give suggestions on improving the idea. In fact i have my own formula that i would love to share that i use everytime i’m creating a manga and it seems to work for me.

Okay yeah that sounds okay. If you got anything feel free to post it.

I’d say until activity picks back up just do one manga at a time and have a strict reading schedule. Nothing too demanding but strict in the sense that we discuss certain portions of the manga as its being read. Then at the end you allot a certain amount of time for final discussions and for slackers to catch up. And then move right on to another round of nominations without wasting time. Discussion threads can always be revisited as a new activity is going on.

I’m guilty of not participating in the last couple but now that my work schedule is slowing back down I can get back in full-swing.

Okay we can try that. The reason for two was so that if people didn't like one they could pick the other but I guess it does split focus.

Okay so we got a couple things here. One idea I had was a manga series Elimination game since a lot of people seem to like those. We just have a big list of (I think 32?) manga that people nominate, maybe from a specific genera to keep things from being too broad, and let people chose what their favorite manga is. Then we could make a thread for people to talk about the winner.

9. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    @metazoxan, okay I just joined this club for the first time since the migration to DTR as I'm still trying to get into manga. I've not made too much progress yet but I'm slightly better off than when I first joined this club back on JD.
    I had a slight idea, as I'm still not reading very much at all I've been trying to force myself into reading some one shots to get me into it just a bit more. How about you have a One Shot week every month. Since they are only a few pages, a standalone chapter and easy to search for I think it could raise activity slightly.
    You could get everyone to read the 2 highest scoring One Shots and discuss whatever possible from that. I'm afraid I'm not into reading whole series of manga yet so I thought if you do this at least then I could join in once a month. I've read a few One Shots recently, nothing I've really enjoyed but it isn't too bad of a start. What do you think about this idea?

10. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    okay I just joined this club for the first time since the migration to DTR as I’m still trying to get into manga. I’ve not made too much progress yet but I’m slightly better off than when I first joined this club back on JD.
    I had a slight idea, as I’m still not reading very much at all I’ve been trying to force myself into reading some one shots to get me into it just a bit more. How about you have a One Shot week every month. Since they are only a few pages, a standalone chapter and easy to search for I think it could raise activity slightly.
    You could get everyone to read the 2 highest scoring One Shots and discuss whatever possible from that. I’m afraid I’m not into reading whole series of manga yet so I thought if you do this at least then I could join in once a month. I’ve read a few One Shots recently, nothing I’ve really enjoyed but it isn’t too bad of a start. What do you think about this idea?
    @Supernatural-Knight Sure why not. I've never been much into one shots because I actually like long series but it would make a nice and short event. Since it's only one a week how about I just pick the one shot we read for a week each month? If anyone has recomendations or suggestions they can bring them up but for the sake of speed I might as well just pick.What do you think of doing a manga series elimination game to help boost activity? I suggested it but no one ever gave feedback on it.

11. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Yeah neither have I if how I've felt after reading these ones is any indication, but then again it could just be my overall feelings towards manga doing that in the first place. A one shot doesn't have the time to develop the characters or plot so seeing how they make the most of the limited space they were given is what I like to see, although the highest rating I've given so far is 6 towards them.
    You can pick them sure, makes things easier than holding nominations and a vote for something with only 20 or so pages. Maybe you'll come across one that surprises you.

As for a manga elimination, you'd be wanting people to vote for the manga as a whole and not focus on a specific character or event from it right? It may be a bit difficult as everyone would be voting upon different features of them.

12. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    As for a manga elimination, you’d be wanting people to vote for the manga as a whole and not focus on a specific character or event from it right? It may be a bit difficult as everyone would be voting upon different features of them.

Then maybe we could focus on specific aspects but not too specific. Like best action manga (meaning that while the focus is mostly on manga as a whole action scenes will obviously be a big part) or manga with best ending or something? I'm just kinda throwing ideas out there to think of some new events worth trying.

13. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    I think best action moment would be better compared to best action manga as a whole, since it obviously can't move other details would become more important, such as the dedication of pages to the fight as well as how smooth it seems even though it is nothing but static images. This could be beneficial as that would allow people to check out the specified section to compare instead of thinking that the entire action manga is important. This also could allow multiple entries from the same series, say for One Piece instead of as a whole you could nominate Luffy vs Crocodile and a whole lot of other combinations.

The ending option would be completely filled with spoilers so I think that might be a bad decision to hold a best of game for. Maybe a best development but not the ending.

Also regarding One Shots I came across a new one today that spawned a complete serialisation after some controversy, it could be interesting to discuss next month. The users of MAL seem to think it is good and it is ranked not much lower than the top 100 [#123].
    http://myanimelist.net/manga/48621/Koe_no_Katachi

14. TwistedDesires Perverted Queen

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I'm not really sure how things work here but is it absolutely essential to have everyone read the same manga? And then discuss it collectively? Can't we make it so that say if user X, Y and Z happen to have read/are reading the same manga, they can open a discussion about it and if anyone else decides to read it, they can join in too.

Or maybe, rather than Oneshots (they don't have much room for story or character development, ergo: not much to discuss) we pick a new series (newly released/newly scanlated) with very few chapters. That way we can discuss the likely future developments, plot twists and so on. I find it more fun to read ongoing series just because I can fangirl over the new developments.

Alsooo, maybe a thread to compare the manga versions to the anime versions?

I'm going to vanish now..

15. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    There is no rule against making your own threads. If there is a manga you are reading and want to talk about make a thread whenever you want. The one Shot week and manga of the months events are just a way to get everyone involved at the same time and do something as a group or at least that is the intent.

But again feel free to discuss a manga if you want.