Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Need help finding more dubbed anime

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by wisetaner, May 5, 2013.

1. wisetaner Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lately I'm having trouble finding dubs to watch...to be more specific after watching over 100 dubbed animes, the only ones I seem to find now either annoy, disturb, or bore me. So now that this forum exists which is specifically for fans of dubbed animes, I wanted to ask all of you for help.

To help you understand the type of animes I'm seeking, I'm listing some of my top favorites beneath this paragraph. Then if you will be patient with me, under the list I'll describe as brief as possible the reason these particular animes are my favorites. I'm trying to be thorough as well, because unfortunately I'm picky.

Mars Daybreak
    http://myanimelist.net/anime/1086/Kenran_Butou_Sai:_The_Mars_Daybreak

Kiddy Grade
    http://myanimelist.net/anime/274/Kiddy_Grade

Tweeny Witches
    http://myanimelist.net/anime/872/Mahou_Shoujo_Tai_Arusu

Last Exile
    http://myanimelist.net/anime/97/Last_Exile

Read or Die TV
    http://myanimelist.net/anime/209/R.O.D_the_TV

Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-ne
    http://myanimelist.net/anime/11227/Rinne_no_Lagrange

Soul Eater
    http://myanimelist.net/anime/3588/Soul_Eater

Utawarerumono
    http://myanimelist.net/anime/856/Utawarerumono

Dream Eater Merry
    http://myanimelist.net/anime/9331/Yumekui_Merry

The Familiar of Zero
    http://myanimelist.net/anime/1195/Zero_no_Tsukaima

Fairy Tail
    http://myanimelist.net/anime/6702/Fairy_Tail

1. In most if not all of these it starts out with one or two characters going about their normal life or trying to, when they get pulled into a situation that would most likely break most people. Yet the protagonist in the anime slowly if not suspiciously helps his or her new friends.

2. The protagonists gradually becomes solid friends with a group people or harem-ish who always have each others back and can depend upon each other no matter what, especially at crucial times. Yet they still have fun making wise cracks and teasing each other in good humor (Familiar of Zero).

3. The main group of protagonists will likely get beat-up, shot to hell, near blown-up, take on impossible (edge of the seat suspenseful) missions, yet always barely make it through alive (even if completely in bandages) and still able to crack a smile and laugh (though painfully) for their loved ones.

4. Romantic interest that makes sense and progresses and at some point solidifies. And in Harems...a love triangle might form with one or more extra girls (partly for comedic sake), but the main girl never backs down. And like with The Familiar of Zero - the other girls don't back down either, which made for a lot of comical suspense and fun drama

4. There is some greater conflict that arises (town, country, mafia, war lord, tyrant, just some type of immense ::like holy crud:: threat) and the group of friends choose to fight it otherwise all is lost or something epically similar.

5. Most important inspirational and heartwarming - sometimes this is simply by the act of the protagonist choosing to stand in defiance and to do what is right and moral, even when he or she stands alone. Truly inspirational is when those who would have forsaken the protagonist out of fear, are inspired by the protagonist and decide to face their fear and physically stand with the protagonist.

6. Characters act intelligently and quick witted, though occasionally act out-of-character creating comical moments.

7. Main protagonists are NEVER moping, depressed, woe-is-me, self-deprecating, low-self-esteem, overly dramatic characters.

8. If the main protagonist witnesses some authority figure or other high ranking character bullying or terrorizing another character, the protagonist will make it their business to bully the bully. Whether verbally or physically and the main protagonist does not back down until the victim is safe. It's especially endearing when the victimized character begins following the protagonist around becoming the side-kick.

Alright, sorry for making it so long, but I wanted to write out the things I enjoy most in my favorite animes.

If you can think of any animes please let me know. The full list of animes I've watched is at http://myanimelist.net/animelist/wisetaner&status=7&order=0

2. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Some of your favorites are some of mine so give me a minute to edit in some suggestions...

:edit:
    Hmm this was hard to choose from since you seen a majority of what I seen. However I noticed a few missing ones

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - More on the darker side of anime however fits on some of your criteria as far as dealing with authority and being put in a very crappy position, more so then the majority of anime you might see. Still handles it well though considering circumstances and there is "some" romantic undertones depending on how you see it.

Blood+ - Again a somewhat darker anime but if you are looking for a main character that is put in a bad position who must fight to survive then this one is full of that. Some of the cast get some pretty good devolopment as well and may grow on you over time.

Both anime however might suffer from a overly dramatic main charecter. I think It's OK though in this case considering it's not extreme moping around and complaining every episode. As Haji always says to Saya in Blood+, "Saya...you must fight!". And fight she does with no reservations.

It's not like Shinji in EVA so don't worry there. I might add a few more.

3. wisetaner Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Doomguy wrote:
    Some of your favorites are some of mine so give me a minute to edit in some suggestions…

:edit:
    Hmm this was hard to choose from since you seen a majority of what I seen. However I noticed a few missing ones

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom – More on the darker side of anime however fits on some of your criteria as far as dealing with authority and being put in a very crappy position, more so then the majority of anime you might see. Still handles it well though considering circumstances and there is “some” romantic undertones depending on how you see it.

Blood+ – Again a somewhat darker anime but if you are looking for a main character that is put in a bad position who must fight to survive then this one is full of that. Some of the cast get some pretty good devolopment as well and may grow on you over time.

Both anime however might suffer from a overly dramatic main charecter. I think It’s OK though in this case considering it’s not extreme moping around and complaining every episode. As Haji always says to Saya in Blood+, “Saya…you must fight!”. And fight she does with no reservations.

It’s not like Shinji in EVA so don’t worry there. I might add a few more.
    Thank you for the recommendations, Doomguy! I have heard of Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom a couple times, but for some reason I never gave it much thought. I'll definitely look into that.

As for Blood+, I think I tried one of the alternate adaptions, but I will definitely give this a try as well.

4. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    There are no alternates for Blood+. Some might say Blood- (or something like that) but trust me it's nothing but a knockoff of the real one. You could be confusing Trinity Blood but that one is not related. Except maybe with the vampires...

That R.O.D the TV and Rinne no Lagrange look interesting. First I heard of it I'll check them out one day.

5. wisetaner Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Doomguy wrote:

There are no alternates for Blood+. Some might say Blood- (or something like that) but trust me it’s nothing but a knockoff of the real one. You could be confusing Trinity Blood but that one is not related. Except maybe with the vampires…

That R.O.D the TV and Rinne no Lagrange look interesting. First I heard of it I’ll check them out one day.
    Thank you for clearing that up! I probably did get Blood+ mixed up with some other anime, in which case I look even more forward to checking it out!

As for R.O.D the TV, that series is absolutely amazing! I loved the twists in the plot and professional yet hot headed nature of the main protagonist, nearly every time she was in a scene she was taking charge...or trying to. She constantly had me laughing if not smiling as she was the only female "good person" lead that didn't have any special abilities...and yet the other women who did have kick-ass abilities (and kicked ass with those abilities). They actually flinched and let her take charge (more or less) when ever the female lead was around. To me it was hilarious!

Every now and then Rinne no Lagrange seemed to go down the road of self destruction and I would cringe when that would happen! But every time it bounce back in a way that made it all the more endearing and inspiring. At times that self-destruction was that the characters might start acting to stereotypical, or boring, or too goody-goody. But it was as though the writers wanted people to cringe a little, because after that the characters would do something comical, inspirational, or you just think to yourself wow I was getting a little worried there!

Anyway, that was my impression of both of those animes. You may or may not think different, but either way I'd be interested in what you think about those two series! :)

And again thank you for your recommendations!

6. DemonEyesJoe Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    phantom requeium is an amazing show, one i sat down and watched stright in 2 days or so, it was also the last show i watched with my cat before we euthanized her. i dont normally watch a show THAT fast, but it always makes you want to see the next episode

7. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Doomguy wrote:
    There are no alternates for Blood+. Some might say Blood- (or something like that) but trust me it’s nothing but a knockoff of the real one. You could be confusing Trinity Blood but that one is not related. Except maybe with the vampires…

Blood-C. Yeah it's nothing but a knock off, tho it's incredibly confusing why they did it like that. All it does is invoke comparison with Blood+ and so it comes off incredibly short, if only they had avoided naming it and the name character the same then it would be able to stand on it's own two feet as a (possibly) reasonable anime.

@Wisetaner: Going by your indepth discription i would also suggest: Shakugan no Shana (tho i don't think the third series has been dubbed yet so you might want to hold off), A Certain Magical Index, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (tho this anime can be an acquired taste for some), Scrapped Princess and Heroic Age. Also since you've got a few Mecha animes on your list you might enjoy Full Metal Panic!, Code Geass, Eureka Seven, Gundam 00, Gundam Wing, Gundam SEED (those are the more accessable of the Gundam series imo) or Sousei no Aquarion. These animes will also share many of the qualities you're looking for.

8. DemonEyesJoe Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    actuaklly blood-c and blood+ are spin-off of blood, the last vampire

but they arnt connected to each other in anyway except they are regarded as a "series" and considering saya sleeps for SOOOOOOO long, its not that crazy to assume its the same saya each time

9. wisetaner Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I looked up Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom on "myanimelist" and I must have initially thought you were referring to some other anime. Because it turns out it is one I have tried watching two months ago. Although after watching half of the first episode, it was so dramatically dark and eerie that I needed to read about it on wikipedia as well as the spoilers. What I read disturbed me, to learn the course of action the characters choice to take at the end of the series. I prefer watching an anime that while the characters may have a tough course to follow, in the end they learn from it and grow as individuals and live on! This is partly what I referred to by inspirational.

That isn't the case with Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, it ends in a very depressing way. (I'm doing my best not to give spoilers)

I do appreciate the recommendation, but yeah, you were right when you said those picks of yours were a little on the dramatic side. That anime is very dramatic!

It's odd, it seems there are so many fans of anime who are into the deeply dark and sad animes, where as myself, I can't stomach those type. I can handle an anime and characters who have periodic moments of dark and moodiness because it adds to the overall suspense and climax, but it also needs to come up for air, sunshine, and brightness more often then not. And end with the main characters "living on"!

In response to BlurredExistence post:

Shakugan no Shana - Seen it, it was good

A Certain Magical Index - Seen it, good

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Seen it, pretty good

Scrapped Princess - Seen it, tolerated it

Heroic Age - Seen it, I wanted more! Very good!

Full Metal Panic! - Seen it, decent.

Code Geass - Stop watching after a few episodes, the main character is far too serious, arrogant, and cocky

Eureka Seven - Seen it, barely tolerated it. The main character gets bullied by almost everyone and rarely stands up for himself!

Gundam 00 - !!! I haven't seen this! I'll look into it!

Gundam Wing - Made in 1996, I should point out that I have trouble watching animes prior to 2001, because the animations and
    character designs are too cartoonish and at least for me it distracts from the actual plot. I have tried too watch a number of
    animes made before 2001 and only one of them had decently smooth animation and environment/character designs.

Gundam SEED - Seen it, it took me several tries just to get through the first couple episodes. Overall it was adequate. I tried watching the sequel, but the plot and the characters were too chaotic.

Sousei no Aquarion - Seen it, it was pretty good. Though the ending left a lot to be desired.

10. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wisetaner wrote:In response to BlurredExistence post:

Shakugan no Shana – Seen it, it was good

A Certain Magical Index – Seen it, good

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya – Seen it, pretty good

Scrapped Princess – Seen it, tolerated it

Heroic Age – Seen it, I wanted more! Very good!

Full Metal Panic! – Seen it, decent.

Code Geass – Stop watching after a few episodes, the main character is far too serious, arrogant, and cocky

Eureka Seven – Seen it, barely tolerated it. The main character gets bullied by almost everyone and rarely stands up for himself!

Gundam 00 – !!! I haven’t seen this! I’ll look into it!

Gundam Wing – Made in 1996, I should point out that I have trouble watching animes prior to 2001, because the animations and
    character designs are too cartoonish and at least for me it distracts from the actual plot. I have tried too watch a number of
    animes made before 2001 and only one of them had decently smooth animation and environment/character designs.

Gundam SEED – Seen it, it took me several tries just to get through the first couple episodes. Overall it was adequate. I tried watching the sequel, but the plot and the characters were too chaotic.

Sousei no Aquarion – Seen it, it was pretty good. Though the ending left a lot to be desired.

Sorry for suggesting so many you have already seen man.

"Heroic Age – Seen it, I wanted more! Very good!" Totally agree with you there man, every time i watch it i just wish it wasn't so short (despite being a full 26 episode series)! I wish there were more animes like this one out there. I think there's Glass Fleet which is similar and that might have been dubbed as well, not sure, and there's Starship Operators but i'm almost positive that doesn't have a dub.

"Full Metal Panic! – Seen it, decent." I thought FMP was brilliant and i am in a perpetual limbo of hoping that some day they'll make a third series! Have you watched both the Second series and Fumoffu btw?

"Code Geass – Stop watching after a few episodes, the main character is far too serious, arrogant, and cocky" He's got reason to be cocky and arrogant being so intelectually gifted, i would suggest giving it another bash but i guess if the events of the first few episodes didn't swing it for you then you're not gonna get into it at all. A shame but each to their own.

"Eureka Seven – Seen it, barely tolerated it. The main character gets bullied by almost everyone and rarely stands up for himself!" I felt largely the same way you did for most of it but the series does keep throwing in some epic and wonderful moments that kept me going and i thought the end was incredibly well done.

"Gundam Wing – Made in 1996, I should point out that I have trouble watching animes prior to 2001, because the animations and character designs are too cartoonish and at least for me it distracts from the actual plot. I have tried too watch a number of animes made before 2001 and only one of them had decently smooth animation and environment/character designs." I know what you mean about artwork prior to 2000 but i think Gundam Wing's one of the exceptions, tho that is just my opinion, also i believe that it is probably the best of the Gundam Series. If you've seen NGE it's of a similar art style to that.

"Gundam SEED – Seen it, it took me several tries just to get through the first couple episodes. Overall it was adequate. I tried watching the sequel, but the plot and the characters were too chaotic." I didn't like it much at all but i suggested it cause i know a lot of people who did (smeg knows why!). I haven't even tried watching the sequel purely because it's a prequel and it can't watch prequels without going on to watching the original series as well and i ain't doing that again.

Anyway sorry again for coming up short man, i usually watch subbed anime so the restriction of finding dubs put a bit of a mental block on me.

11. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    I was going to say Last Exile then I realized you have that as a favorite (like me). Man I been looking for one that is just like that for a while now. Sense of adventure gave me a cool Grandia vibe, a game from the Playstation era and one of my favorites.

Yeah Phantom is pretty dark and I understand people might feel...overwhelmed by it. I suppose Blood+ is pretty dark as well. In that case my only recommendation might be... *reads your list*. Well that sucks it looks like I run out of options. Good list I think I'll just copy a few things from here hehe.

I suppose I could tell you that you should bump up priority on "Outlaw Star". Not really compared to anything you mention but fits the criteria for sure.

Oh and imo if you seen one Gundam anime, then you seen them all. It's like a re-telling of the story but in different political situations (oh look Gundams come from space! oh look in this anime the Gundams are from earth!). Not to say it's bad or anything though. I would suggest the 00 Gundam to watch first if you choose too.

12. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Doomguy wrote:
    Oh and imo if you seen one Gundam anime, then you seen them all. It’s like a re-telling of the story but in different political situations (oh look Gundams come from space! oh look in this anime the Gundams are from earth!). Not to say it’s bad or anything though. I would suggest the 00 Gundam to watch first if you choose too.

Dude you could say that about more or less every Mecha then, or animes that appear in any genre for that matter. You watch them because they're similar and you're kept interested by the small differences. But having said that Gundam Wing is nothing like Gundam SEED so your argument collapses right there man! = p