Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by Sporadic, May 26, 2013.

1. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Movie 16 for The Midnight Channel. Like on the other forum we make our movie threads in the public section because they have never been limited to just club discussion. This helps generate more activity on the actual forum by giving people who watched the movies separate from the club a chance to discuss together.

A thousand years after a global war, a seaside kingdom known as the Valley Of The Wind remains one of only a few areas still populated. Led by the courageous Princess Nausicaä, the people of the Valley are engaged in a constant struggle with powerful insects called ohmu, who guard a poisonous jungle that is spreading across the Earth. Nausicaä and her brave companions, together with the people of the Valley, strive to restore the bond between humanity and the Earth.

2. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    It was kinda meh and like always i was enjoying the chat more. I enjoyed the movie but i can't say it's because of the movie itself.

6/10

3. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I suppose the "man vs. environment" theme was novel in 1984, but to watch it today it just seemed overdone. Of all the Ghibli movies, this one has the least emotional appeal to me. Nausicaa was the most developed character and her affections were directed to the ohmu, which honestly did not evoke any reaction in me.

The chat was pricesless and I appreciated the others who understood and threw out Star Wars references. Anime is much better with friends

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    @bedheadred are you off Sundays? We sometimes do a two day feature of two different films.

5. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    :) That makes me happy. I'm always off on Sunday.

6. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Awesome. Next week we'll do a double feature weekend.

7. VeritasOdiumParit Cult of Personality

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    Awesome, the double feature will suit me just fine.

As for the film, it was alright. A very mediocre Studio Ghibli film. Like most Studio Ghibli the plot was all over the place with people changing their opinions faster than you can say 'Studio Ghibli'. I agree with Red the 'man vs nature' theme is a little overdone these days. Then again, a lot of films before Nausicaa used the same themes.

I think it was difficult for the writers to work with such a 2D idea. The film being centred around bugs meant there was no room for anything else.

Nausicaa was annoying and very fickle.

I enjoyed the chat very much. I just had the Skype window squashed on the right hand side, watching the film at the same time as reading everyone's messages. It was a film that didn't really need to be watched in full screen ^^

Plus: EVERYONE LIVES IN WINDMILLS!?

HER DRESS WENT FROM PINK TO BLUE!?

8. Dan Wolfear20 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Can I ask something, does everyone in the US get there Ghibli movies through Disney:(.

It feels very disrespectful to see such a great story teller/movie maker like Ghibli being labelled, dubbed, sometimes quite poorly, pointing to Arrietty by the way, and being distributed by a corporation that quite often brings sham to the term animation and courses Anime to be less well known in the world.

It's even legitimately responsible for Ghibli films and Anime alike not getting awards at the Oscars and Baftas in the first place. We get are Ghibli films through Studio Canal which means we get absolutely know references to Disney what so ever from the covers to brands and logos and even some of the films done in a better English Dub with real English stars such as Laputa: Castle In The Sky and The Secret World Of Arrietty, which was shortened here in the UK to just Arrietty to seem less long and childish and to tell the two releases apart.:p;)

All I can say from this is Things Need To Change