Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

My Love Story!! (Ore Monogatari) - First impressions

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by Cman131, Apr 17, 2015.

?

What do you think?

1. Brah, I'm totally with you on this one!

2. Looks promising

3. Read the manga. 'nough said.

4. I dunno...

5. Nah nah bro, you cray-cray. This isn't going anywhere

6. Dang... I really want some five guys right now

7. Hey! Why isn't my response a poll option?!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Cman131 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Love Story!!
    (Ore Monogatari)

[​IMG]
    Tsuyoshi Takeo is a freshman in high school. (Both estimates) Weight: 120kg, Height: 2 meters. He spends his days peacefully with his super-popular-with-girls, yet insensitive childhood friend, Sunagawa. One morning, on the train to school, Takeo saves a girl, Yamato, from being molested by a pervert. Could this be the beginning of spring for Takeo?

Hey, I just watched the second episode of this series and am pretty hooked. This has gotten off to a great start. The forecast from the intro was enough to showcase Takeo to be a hilarious character. Quick shots of his facial expressions and I was excited to watch. Then it got to the short preschool scene/cutaway. I was laughing, mashing ctrl+d, and saying "damndamn DAY-ummmn!! Committed." I'll grant that it could have just been some perfect storm kind of atmosphere or something, but it is how it is. So this series will be one of the ones with my full attention this spring. So quick three adjective description: Great | Funny | Adorable.

Despite my praises, I am a little worried that for 24 episodes it may be moving too fast and could end up being meh around 15-21. Might happen. Might not. We'll see.

So what's your impression of the first 2 episodes? (Haters welcome too :D)

#1 Cman131, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  2. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Those options on the poll.........

About the series, based off first impressions this is going to be pretty enjoyable. This is the first romance series that I actually wanted to watch in a long time which is saying something. I really like the idea of the completely unorthodox romance MC instead of the pretty boy that it so frequently is.
    The first ep had me actually laughing at it which is a really good place to start for a romcom.
    I agree though, after seeing it having 24 eps listed I was slightly concerned but I'm in this for the long haul so regardless I'll finish it.
    Really weird seeing it listed as something besides Ore Monogatari though, I wasn't sure what to expect upon entering this thread at first.

3. Cman131 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Haha yeah I had some half asleep fun with that

I'm never really sure which name to go with though I usually exclude non-latin alphabet writing. I changed it to both so it ought to not confuse anyone :)

4. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    You didn't have to, it is more because I initially didn't realise it was an anime discussion, and since romance really isn't my thing entering a thread called "My Love Story" is a dangerous move.

So about this show, what are your thoughts on wanting a one on one date in ep 3? It does seem a bit fast but I'm looking forward to seeing some more misunderstandings.

5. MacMeaties Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    As someone who read a fair bit into the manga for reasons unbeknown even to myself I am genuinely impressed by how closely the anime is following it so far. At points it is panel for panel and whenever it isn't there is not a whole lot of a difference.

As this is the anime thread I'm not gonna spoil anything but I will say if the adaptation keeps up this level of faithfulness then it is gonna be a welcome change for many.

Takeo is a sir and Suna is a bro.

6. Cman131 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    @Supernatural-Knight I'm looking forward to it. I like it when things progress quickly. Kind of felt that way for things like lovely complex, where instead of dodging around for too long the story dashes into critical events and you see what you want to see sooner. (As long as it isn't too soon) I am looking forward to seeing the one-on-one "date" happening next episode :D and all of the misunderstandings that come with it. Since you're not particularly interested in to romance anime, what snagged your attention for this show?

@MacMeaties I'm glad to hear that it follows the manga closely. That spins up quite a bit of hope for how it will fair. Did you enjoy the manga? at least the parts you read

7. MacMeaties Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Did indeed lad. The humour doesn't let up, the characters get more and more likeable and some of the new ones that get introduced later are all enjoyable in their own rights. And you'll be happy with the pace. It doesn't linger on anything too long or get overly serious; it is just good, clean situational comedy about an unlikely romance.

• Like Like x 1
  8. obdriver6 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I'm enjoying this so far. At first I didn't know what to think but once I saw the 1st episode, I got hooked. I'm glad I picked this up cause I've been laughing my ass off. At the same time, I've had so many facepalm moments with Takeo but I get why he's like that.

9. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    This one on one date should be interesting indeed, as of right now I'm trying to think up what reactions I'd expect him to have. Not long until we actually get to see for ourselves though so I guess I don't have to try too hard.
    It is easier to generalise and say I hate the romance genre. I however watch a hell of a lot of anime regardless of genre just for romance ones I usually complain a lot beforehand.
    This series caught my attention because of who the main character was. Firstly a male and secondly he wasn't the "pretty boy" often seen. When a series is bold enough to use a character like Takeo you have to give it credit for being different. I was here simply because of his character design and so far it isn't letting me down.

10. Cman131 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    That's awesome! Starting to get even more excited for the next episode.

His character is just so perfect. Unlikely underdog who's upstanding and very good natured, but dense and oblivious to what is common. He's just hilarious. Can't wait to see more

11. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    All great qualities given to him that usually go right past these kinds of background characters. Simply by moving this character design as MC drew my attention because really when do we see mains like this in these situations?
    And regarding the seeing more, you watch the new episode yet? If you have what did you think of the one on one date?

12. obdriver6 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Oh man episode 3 was awesome! I didn't know Yamada could get any cuter but I was proven very wrong. Have to say that my favorite part was all times she confessed her love of Takeo to Suna, just to make sure Takeo heard her lol. Another thing is that Suna is in no doubt, a great wingman. Lastly, to tell you the truth, i would not be mad if the series had ended there so having 21 episodes left makes me wonder what will happen.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cman131 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, he looks lie the character that would be the second best friend who's just very content all the time. The buddah-y character, like Chien Po in Mulan. That kind.

Haha yeah I watched it and holy crap is this show sprinting! Even going fast I didn't expect
    Them to get together
    until like ep. 5 earliest. However, it was done extremely well. Yamada was super cute shouting to Suna and then Takeo's expressionless rise from under the bed was hilarious. These characters are so well developed for the few episodes they've existed. And they're so well crafted too.

I get what you mean now. :) Suna is such a bro!

When they were reacting to him, I was thinking this guy's a Tomoda-tier bro! for those of you who have watched "Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun"
    [​IMG]

14. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    I'm a sucker for shoujo anime and quite a few people been saying I'll love this anime as they read manga. Obviously I was anxiously waiting 5 months for its release with really high expectations. I was kinda afraid it won't live up to my expectations and the anime will be disappointing even if it's not bad. However, it even exceeded my expectations! I am in love with the series. Can't wait for the next ep ^^

• Like Like x 1
  15. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Episode 3 caught me by complete surprise, how many romance anime spend the entire episode length before even directly confessing? This jumps almost there immediately which really is refreshing to see. This is the only one that I've seen progress this far this quickly.
    Although with that I am surprised that when Yamato was confessing continuously that when Takeo finally came out she didn't have any malice towards Suna. It got then together but she was tricked into it which usually doesn't go so well. Nice to see that though, this will definitely make for an interesting watch now.

I do have to admit I was slightly disappointed that the one on one date didn't go a little longer but that misunderstanding was more than enough for me. It was awesome.

The story of the two demons, I like this story being told as a play's flashback.

Haha I had totally forgotten his name but that guy was an amazing character in that too. Suna is on this guys level for sure.

When I have high expectations for a romance series something is wrong, maybe it was a sign that it'd be really good. As of right now if I had to rate it 8/10 would be my choice easily.

Oh and @Metazoxan you wanted this to win the new release club's vote, come join us in discussing it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Okay I keep forgetting to come back to this but.

Over all it's a good story and I like the characters. But it feels almost like things progressed a bit too fast. I'm glad we aren't spending 12 episodes waiting for them to confess but if they are already this far then what next? Will we have an obligatory rival and/or break up to drag things out?

It's funny because I'm both glad they skipped over a lot of the fluff most romance series use to pad a series but I'm also worried about what they plan to do instead.

My other problem is that I'd like them to do a bit more. The last few episodes have mostly been "I like you and you like me" and being rather calm with it and nothing else is happening. I don't mean the romance itself has to be over dramatized but I'd like if at least something else was happening along with all this to make the overall story a little more interesting.

Still not a bad series overall since they are breaking a lot of cliches with this but I'd like to see a bit more.