Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

McAfee internet security 2014 or MSE

Discussion in 'Tech Temple' started by Metazoxan, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Okay my dad apparently got a free copy of this saying "It's better than nothing" but I do have MSE.

And apparently they clash so you can't have both and McAfee gets a lot of hate from what I can tell from slowing things down too much and being in the way.

So should I even use this or just stick with MSE?

2. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Assuming MSE is Microsoft Security Essentials, I would stick with MSE. McAfee is the worst anti-virus software available. It's more bloat than anything. If you really want a good (and free) anti-malware, I can recommend Comodo Internet Security (or if you just want a basic antivirus, Comodo Anti-Virus) and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Both are available for free, however Comodo's Internet Security does have a premium (newest edition) and the free edition (which is something kin to a "last years" edition, and yes it still gets updates to software and definitions) and MalwareBytes AnitMalware's "real-time protection" is a premium feature, so you have to subscribe to use that part. Another one I've tried was ESET NOD32, unfortunately it's fairly expensive but the software isn't bloated and doesn't hog resources, even during scans.
    Alternatively, you can always use online virus scanning tools such as Trend Micro's House Call as an alternative scanning tool, though if you have a poor internet connection or you are frequently offline, it probably wouldn't do much good in comparison to an installed anti-malware.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    This. Honestly, you're better off with getting a free antivirus program like Avast. McAfee is more of a hindrance than a plus

• Like Like x 1
  4. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    I second this.

5. CrunchDrop Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    This really depends on what you preference is and what you want in a antivirus program. For me I really don't use any because I know how to get red of viruses/spyware. If you want a lightweight antivirus program I would stick with Microsoft Security Essentials but if you want a program that detect rootkits I would download MalwareBytes and just use that, it's a really stable program to use.

I would stay away from that, it installs the Superfish adware on your computer :(

6. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ^ This. I've pretty much dumped all anti-malware programs and kept MalwareBytes just to scan if I notice any abnormal behavior on my computer as well as the Windows Defender (MSE) since it's not exactly detached from Windows 10 and if it's there, might as well keep it going if for no other reason than to makes Windows 10 shut up about not having an anti-virus installed and/or running. lol Plus, most of them make it difficult to configure for my PS3 to connect to my Windows Media Player library and I've yet to find one where it was as easy as inputting the details.

If you're talking about PrivDog, that would be the extension that was included in Comodo's line of browsers and supposedly the Internet Security suite (which depending on your install, might include the installation of Comodo Dragon (Chrome-based Browser released before their Chromodo branch, which is supposedly a "straight from Google's source, with added security" version, instead of the heavily altered Dragon version)). The Anti-Virus isn't affected by PrivDog (at least not the last time I checked a few months ago when I installed just the anti-virus on my mom's computer until they got the Anti-Malware or Internet Security program that they wanted).

7. CrunchDrop Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    In the older versions Superfish was added with the download, I haven't used it for years the last time I used it was in 2013. Looks like they removed it to a addon XD

Ya I tried a lot too but ended up with windows defender too