1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Japanese Husband Went 20 Years Without Speaking To His Wife

Discussion in 'Just Entertainment' started by Batosai, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Batosai Manslayer

Although most couples have experienced a long and awkward period of silence after a row it is unlikely to compare to a husband and wife who have not spoken for two decades - but continue to live with each other.

Otou Katayama, from Nara, southern Japan, continues to live with his three children and wife, Yumi, who perseveres in making conversation with him but has only ever received a nod or a grunt in response for 20 years.

The Japanese couple's silence was revealed by their 18-year-old son Yoshiki, who wrote into a TV show asking them to fix the situation as he had never heard them have a conversation.

And sure enough, a meeting was arranged between them in the park where they had their first date, as their emotional children watched on.

'Somehow it's been a while since we talked.

'You were so concerned about the kids.

'Yumi up until now, you have endured a lot of hardship. I want you to know I'm grateful for everything.'

Otou later explained that he has been giving her the cold shoulder out of jealously for the attention and care the children get.

He said on the show: 'I was kind of... jealous. I was sulking about it.

'There's no going back now I guess.'

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

20 years.... 20 long years and this women never lost her cool. Damn she likely lost it once her husband began talking again. Why why you have to ruin my peace quite children? My bad jokes aside I just don't know what to think after reading this. Like that has to be the dumbest reason to not talk to your spouse.​

3. KnowMeFrom

"I was kind of...jealous" damn. He was only a little jealous and he didn't talk to her for twenty years. Imagine if he was really jealous.

He hadn't talked to her once since before his adult son was born lol.

They live together too. How do you not say a word to someone you live with for two decades.

4. Noobs

5. Dylanar

6. Core

Ghandi has nothing on being silent.

7. Noobs

if anything, that would be hilarious than sad. just imagine a scenario mako from kill la kill doing her antics just to be noticed. it would be darn impossible not to notice.

8. Dylanar

They would notice but I feel like they would ignore her.

9. AngeloDaniele

I going to be the person to say that it is not possible to not say anything to a person you've been living with for 20 years. That is unless you have some kind of inability to speak but out of shear force of will no way.
    Even Kazuto (SAO protagonist) doesn't have that kind of will power.
    20 years thats 7300 days so approximately 7300 opportunities to say one word to a person who is LIVING with you.

Yeaah no. He said something to her at one point in fact probably several times.

Not to mention the credibility of a Japanese TV show. Come on people things like this only happen in anime and manga. Yes there Japanese but there still human.

10. Noobs

you made a good point. talking would be inevitable for speaking a word or two. i think the main idea here is not conversing for 2 years. from the video, the context could be the couple had not have a good 2 way conversation. though the sub said "talk" we can at least its a translation error?

AngeloDaniele likes this.
  11. KnowMeFrom

Yeah its most likely an exaggeration or an outright lie made for views. If it's real and not exaggerated its hilarious though.

AngeloDaniele likes this.