Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Japanese Culture: Shita-kiri Suzume

Discussion in 'The Asylum' started by BK-201, Oct 9, 2014.

1. BK-201 The Black Reaper Moderator

Ratings:
    +124 / 1 / -0
    Shita-kiri Suzume - The Sparrow with the Clipped Tongue

[​IMG]

Once upon a time, there lived a kind old man and a greedy old woman. One day, the kind old man went to work in the fields. At noontime, he decided, “it’s time for lunch” and opened his lunch box.
    The rice ball that should have been inside was gone, and instead, there was a little sparrow, fast asleep.
    “Well, well, it looks like this little sparrow has eaten up my lunch.” But the little sparrow was so cute that the gentle old man took it home.

[​IMG]

One day, the kind old man went to the hills to gather firewood. The greedy old woman was making starch (for laundry) from grains of rice and hadn’t given the little sparrow anything to eat all day.
    The greedy old woman told the little sparrow, “Now you keep watch over the starch while I’m gone” and left for a little while. The little sparrow was so hungry that she ate up all the starch.
    When the greedy woman returned, and when she saw the bowl of starch was empty and flew into a fit of rage, and clipped off the little sparrow’s tongue. The little sparrow, crying, fled into a bamboo bush.
    The kind old man learned how the little sparrow had left. Saddened, he went into the bamboo bush looking for the little sparrow, calling out, “Little sparrow, little sparrow with the clipped tongue!”

[​IMG]

Deep in the bamboo bush, the kind old man found the home of the sparrow. Out stepped the lady sparrow of the house, welcoming him. The gentle old man apologized, saying, “I am so sorry for what happened to the poor little sparrow.” The little sparrow with the clipped tongue then stepped out as well, and said “I’ve missed you, gentle old man.”
    The sparrows invited the kind old man into their residence, entertained him with sweet little dances and songs, and served him with a royal banquet that was fit for a queen.

[​IMG]

Time flies when we are enjoying ourselves, and before long, it was time for the kind old man to go home. The sparrows brought out a big basket and a little basket, saying, “Please take home a souvenir. Please choose whichever one you want.” The kind old man said, “Well, I’m an old man, so I’ll take the smaller one,” and took home the smaller basket.

[​IMG]

Upon arriving at home, the kind old man opened the basket …

… and, to his delighit, the basket was filled with gold coins, both big and small. The greedy old woman saw this and set off for the sparrows home, saying to herself, “I’m going to get one of those, too.”

[​IMG]

The nasty old woman walked deep into the bamboo bush, found the sparrow residence, and announced “Little sparrow with the clipped tongue, it’s me, I’ve come to see you so let me in,” upon which she stepped right in.
    The sparrows tried to entertain her just like they entertained the kind old man, but the greedy old woman demanded, “I want my souvenir right now.” When the sparrows brought out the big basket and the little basket, she hoisted the big basket onto her back, saying, “I’ll take this one”, and hurriedly left the sparrow residence.

[​IMG]

She couldn’t wait till she got home to find out what kind of treasure might be in the basket. Upon opening it, she found that it was filled with rubbish and junk, and snakes and centipedes came crawling out. The greedy old woman was so shocked that her legs gave way, and she sank to the ground.
    Source: NHK World Radio Japan

http://justdubsonline.net/japanese-culture/shita-kiri-suzume

2. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    @BK-201 the coincidental thing about this post is that the day you posted this only a few hours before I watched a black and white short from 36 about the same subject. It didn't really show off everything the best as it started after the grandmother had already cut out the birds tongue but it still wasn't that bad of a watch.
    http://myanimelist.net/anime/6827/Suzume_no_Oyado