Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Japanese Culture: Akanbe

Discussion in 'The Asylum' started by BK-201, Jul 6, 2014.

1. BK-201 The Black Reaper Moderator

Ratings:
    +124 / 1 / -0
    Akanbe (あかんべえ Akanbee), also spelt Akkanbee (あっかんべー, アッカンベー), is a Japanese facial gesture. It consists of someone pulling down their lower eyelid to expose the red underside towards someone. It is considered an immature taunting gesture. It is often accompanied by the person sticking their tongue out.

The use of the term was first mentioned by early 20th century author Katai Tayama, in his 1909 story Inaka Kyōshi (田舎教師 Rural Teacher), as a gesture used by the male students in the story. In the story, it gives the etymology as a corruption of akai me (赤い目 red eye).

The gesture is used often in manga and anime by tsundere characters.

[​IMG]

Source:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akanbe

http://www.dubtopia.eu/japanese-culture/akanbe

2. Negi-Springfield Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -1
    We have the same thing here but it means "as if" based on a French expression "mon oeil" (my eye).

3. Shanarox Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to see these gestures performed in reality... xD