Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

If you could wake up tomorrow as a Japanese student would you?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AngeloDaniele, Oct 18, 2016.

?

yes or no?

1. Hell YES!

53.3%
  2. Hell NO!

46.7%
  1. AngeloDaniele Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    On your way home an old man walks up to on the street and tells you he has magical powers.
    He tells you he has the power to return you to your 15 years old body, make you fluent in Japanese and enroll you to a boarding school in Japan where you will wake up in your dorm the next day if you say yes. and in return all he asks for is your ability to speak English what do you say?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ryder Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Beats living in this tiny country hidden away in South-East whoreallycares. I don't really like Singapore that much since it's soooo boring, so I wouldn't mind living in Japan as a student there. If anything, now that I've graduated and have to face the harsh reality being a non-student, I kinda miss going back to school. Ironic. lol

Yeah, Japanese student any day. I can read all those Japanese eroges/hentai now without hassle. Bring the tissues.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    That sounds awful. =P

4. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    I've heard about how intense the Japanese system is. Do your utmost in junior high to get into a good high school. Do your utmost in high school to get into a good uni. Do your utmost in uni to get a good job. If you f*** up once in this process, your working life is pretty f***ed.

5. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Yeah no thanks for me, I am a fan of Japanese culture sure but that amount of studying would without a doubt kill me. As Mafia said ridiculous amounts of studying with the whole mindset of "can't screw up once" is too much for me. I never studying for all that long and only around tests, I can't imagine doing hours everyday all year.
    It'd be a lot of fun attending a cultural festival though.

6. youngnozomi Sparkles, Nosebleeds, and D'awwww

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Nope! I'm qualified to go teach English in Japan so I might teach there for a few months in the future but I would not want to be a Japanese student. I already had a school uniform and lots of academic pressure from going to private school. Plus I'd much rather stay western and visit the east than vise versa.

7. Ryder Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Hm. It's surprising that the Japanese education system could be any more intense than the one we've got at Singapore, but yeah, I could imagine it. I hate studying myself, to be honest. lol If I can study that much, I would've been able to get myself retaking my O' levels at a much cheaper price because I could just study on my own, instead of saving enough money in hopes of attending a private school.

8. AngeloDaniele Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I had a feeling that the studying would be the biggest concern for most of you but bear in mind that you're you only in a younger body so those of you who have already finished uni should find studying at that level a piece of cake, no?

9. Ryder Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    That's how I passed 9th grade with flying colors - by getting held back for two years.

10. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Doesn't really make it less tedious. And while you lose all of the downsides to being an adult, you also lose all of the benefits.

Not to mention, this would mean growing up and, most likely, working in Japan, a nation in which it isn't uncommon to work up to 20 hours at a time and which has a birthrate crisis due to people being far too busy in their professional life in order to have a social life.

Working and going to school in the U.S. is, oftentimes, stressful and burdensome, but I wouldn't trade it for Japan.

11. Ryder Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Let's just all agree that growing up sucks. lol Wish I could just stay young forever.

12. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    I DON'T WANNA GROW UP. I'M A TOYS R US KID.

13. James Haught Trophy Collector

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I would say yes. I don't have any ties in Oklahoma... And studying wouldn't bother me, I have a tendency to hear something once and have it memorized. Though that screws with my sleep. I get random thoughts and facts in my head whenever I lay down.

14. James Haught Trophy Collector

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I didn't have a choice but to grow up. With a family full of nutcases I had to. And I don't mind, but you can't miss what you never had.

15. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    I don't think it would be a bad thing. The only thing my school taught mii was how to make you feel pretty worthless and dumb so I'll take Japanese bording school on any day. Yeah the studying would be tough but if you grow up in that society, you wouldn't know any other way. :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rayden413 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    I've been to college and had a full schedule. In fact, I had to get special permission from the Dean to get all the classes I was taking. I buckled down and took 4 core classes, 2 alternative core classes, and 2 electives all in one semester. A total of 25 credits. The standard amount of credits allowed is between 15 to 18 in one semester. Needless to say, I didn't have a life. On top of school, I held down a part time job paying for my internet bill and all the ramen noodles I ate. Getting through that was hard, but I enjoyed being in classes that finally challenged me. So I think Japanese School would be pretty easy. Especially since anime would be easy to get. That's my source of strength. I'm a man powered by anime. I'm sure that if anime disappeared, I'd probably die.

When it comes to work, I've juggled a personal life along with a military career. Life in Japan would be a breeze compared to how much time I had to work on board a US Naval Cruiser. The Japanese have it easy in their navy. They have a bar on their ships. We didn't get nothing. 3 months at sea and what did we get? A trip of 9 people per trip, on a small ass little boat, away from the ship about 10 meters, and a can of bud light. Where as the Japanese get Plum Sake and a nice bar to sit at to drink it. So yeah. I think I'll be just fine in Japan.

17. Dylanar Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +238 / 1 / -0
    This is slice of life, right? I mean the life you are going to lead as a Japanese Student?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Teknoman X Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +377 / 1 / -0
    I'm not all that sure if I'd want to be a 15 year old student anywhere again. Considering I was pretty self destructive back then and did some incredibly stupid shit, I'm surprised I'm still alive now. I know the subject is about being a turned magically into a Japanese student, but if I were to be 15 again, I don't think I'd survive the experience.

#18 Teknoman X, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  19. KnowMeFrom Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Taking away my ability to speak (and therefor I assume, to understand) English means I wouldn't be able to enjoy English dubbed anime. Sure, being able to speak Japanese would potentially allow me to enjoy any and therefor more anime, but it wouldn't be the same. Suddenly watching shows I've already seen previous seasons of dubbed now in Japanese wouldn't be enjoyable.

I definitely wouldn't want to be 15 again, although some of the benefits like being around a bunch of people my age every day would be massive.

If real Japanese girls were as cute as anime girls I would do this in a heart beat. Sadly they aren't (no one is) so I think I'd probably pass unless I was incredibly down at the moment for whatever reason.

I would of preferred having to wear a uniform when I was in school. People always judged me for the clothes I wore.

I never studied a day in my life. I barely passed American High School so if Japanese school is really harder I would just be a fuck up, not much different than now tbh. Also retaining my current level of knowledge wouldn't make school as a 15 year old much easier. I forgot everything I once somewhat barely grasped years ago.

#19 KnowMeFrom, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Dylanar Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +238 / 1 / -0
    Well Japan's High School system would probably be more along the lines of giving us more enthusiasm. There would probably be more to do (basing this off of my boring high school), more activities and more students to interact with.