Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

How true do you think his ad is?

Discussion in 'Tech Temple' started by Core, Jul 22, 2016.

?

True, or false?

1. True

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. False

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

What do you think?

#1 Core, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2016
  2. Negi-Springfield Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -1
    I didn't know my phone was a pc!

Or that its OS is Windows.

3. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    @Core I changed the link to a screenshot. Only did so because I've seen too many people get suck on those pages at work (though this one being the calmest I've seen).

4. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that.
    I got this advertisement in the downloads section of the forum, in MP4 Upload.

5. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    @Core just ignore anything coming from a website saying your infected is baloney..... Atleast thats what i do and havent had an issue yet lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    When I clicked it when it was a link, my anti-virus went off and blocked two trojans. You might want to scan your computer @Core

7. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0

So we are getting infectious scam ads when we use Mp4Upload?
    I have at least 15Gb of anime due to downloading there, and I have yet to get an infection related to those. I guess it just kinda ticks me off when people make up lies and try to fool others into doing something (ie, that ad). Like when some Indian calls us saying our PCs are infected with a virus that is dangerous, and we must turn our PCs on and allow him to have access. Fool would not shut up about "Turn on your computer."

8. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    We, nor really anyone, has control over the type of ads that a file host uses. Only the host themselves can change the type of ads displayed there. Sadly, most places that share files tend to have the "bottom of the barrel" of ads.

As for the scam ads/cold calls, average day at work, about 3-5 clients come in saying they let the scammers remote into their PC. There are of course more we find after check-in, and the number of people that get serviced elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sadly, those ads are common place among sites that use ads to back their downloads-driven sites. They really do scrape from the bottom of the barrel sometimes and it's really sad that they rely on these cheap gimmicks that not only scam people out of money, but also give advertisements a really poor reputation. I got so sick of those tasteless scams that I modify my hosts file on every single computer I own to route all named domains to my loopback and either use AdBlock or AdGuard to handle whatever domains I haven't run across.

My mom was called up by one of those very people. I'll tell anyone like I told her, Microsoft doesn't call you to fix your computer, they make you contact them about problems with Microsoft products. They ask for permission to remote connect to you and don't coerce you into it. I have to give Microsoft credit, they don't stoop so low as to coerce you into it. They mostly give you free support up until the problem becomes a non-Microsoft issue, at that point you can either accept their help or they urge you to take your computer to a local computer technician that you trust. They tend to let you take control of what happens to your computer, and if at any point you no longer feel comfortable with Microsoft's technical support remote accessing your computer, you're free to disconnect the remote session. We know Microsoft has a bad rap for some things, but scamming is definitely one thing they hate.

Also, next time anyone gets those ads or gets called by these people, make sure you note down everything (such as the website's address that the advertisement takes you to) and the number (if they call you) and definitely report it to the FBI as a cyber crime (if US) or any cyber crimes/police agency for whatever country you're in. If they call you, you can pretend to not know what's going on and "comply" without actually complying (basically, lie about the computer being on, say there must be something wrong with the computer, the internet must be acting up, etc), or just try to ramble on like you haven't talked to anyone in forever and you just want to have a long conversation. They lose money the longer they're talking to you, especially when they're not getting access to your money. You can also threaten to sue them if they harass you and it can typically get them off the phone quicker (if you want them off the phone and don't have time to keep talking to them and wasting their time and money). Shady practices like that don't need legal attention, so they're more likely to give up, especially if you're knowledgeable about the scam and you make it more difficult for them to scam you or you just keep them on the phone and they're not getting any money from you.

10. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0

Hmmm Have you never used the internet before?? 99% of it is lies and BS.... :) my name isnt even K3nny for Christ sakes!!!

11. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0

I have been meaning to ask what do you actually do that you need to deal with such ID10T's all the time!? if its to much of a personal question don't feel like you need to answer :) I mean I could just be a super creepy guy ya know! ok not just could I am just a super creepy guy.. just didn't feel right to lie just there...

lords knows I would be able to handle them been there done that and no more for me I say

12. Negi-Springfield Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -1

• Like Like x 2
  13. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    I knew that already. It just still p!sses me off anyway, to know that people are dishonorable and dishonest in that way, with disregard to others.

14. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    Negi That is the most appropriate Video for this Thread well done my good sir Well done!

15. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Thankfully I have the ability to put on a facade in from of client (during the few times I'm at the counter). Assuming the client is nice, tell them it's common, we see it everyday, and we'll get them taken care of. I'm my mind, I'm doing this:
    [​IMG]
    If not-so-nice, I have told people their "problem" is caused is an ID-10-T error (as you typed), a short circuit between the keyboard and chair, or other passive aggressive phrases.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0

I need to save that GIF so when someone asks me something stupid I may show it to them...

I Felt like doing that today dealing with IBM....

Quick story short...

IBM guy:
    The reason your port on your fiber adapter is not working is because your firmware is out of date

Me:
    But we have 2 other ports on that same adapter that are still up and functioning...

IBM guy:
    I am sorry but I cannot give you more support until the firmware is upgraded because it may fix the problem.

Me:
    [​IMG]

17. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    And the reason for not being able to get the new firmware?

18. CrunchDrop Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I think it's funny that a website magical knows that my computer has something wrong with it. XD A lot of these websites/adds are pushing sites that download malware in the background by a rootkit or by flash. I would just block it or just click on the close button.

19. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    Then there was that time I got an "antivirus" ad claiming I had 6 viruses from surfing adult sites.
    I never exposed that exposed that device to anything more adult than Google.

20. NeekoWolfie Floofy Wolfie/CM

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    @Core in all honesty it looks like clickbait

• Like Like x 1