Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

How To Support The Anime Industry

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by cgsarebeast, May 19, 2018.

1. cgsarebeast

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I was wondering if there are websites besides Crunchyroll, funimation, hot topic, ge entertainment and right stuf to buy official merchandise

#1 cgsarebeast, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
  2. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Funimation and CrunchyRoll has more than just Dragon Ball Z and Fairy Tail. You would be able to see that just going to their site. A subscription from them grants you a minimum of 20 different series of anime (and not just Dragon Ball Z or Fairy Tail. ALL of them are licensed). Less than $20 (per month) and you get 20+ anime. Considering the library of what Funimation has, you're looking at a solid list of 474 anime (20 series per page, times 23 full pages, and adding 14 anime series on the 24th page). CrunchyRoll has at least 3 times that since they include anime that only have subs (and in context, have not been licensed for English dubs).
    There is always RightStuf, which discounts prices off retail and ships anywhere in the US and Canada. They also sell official anime merchandise and manga as well.

You want to support the anime industry, a search engine would give you plenty of legitimate sites. You don't have to import anime from Japan to support the industry. Dubbing studios like Funimation, Viz Media, Media Blasters, Sentai Filmworks, etc all pay a licensing fee to the studios in Japan, which keeps them open and shows continued interest in anime outside of Japan. Supporting these dubbing companies also supports the anime industry as well as supports the English market for anime, you just have to be willing to set some money aside each pay check.

Quick and dirty guide to support the anime industry:
    1) Have a job. Seasonal, part-time, full-time (best option). Not old enough to hold a regular job? Do babysitting, mowing lawns, and other side jobs that lets kids earn some money, without it being illegal.
    2) Set a few bucks aside each paycheck. The more you can spare, while remaining fiscally responsible for the bills you have, the more often you can purchase anime. If you're making minimum wage, working 20-hours or more and have very few* fiscal responsibilities**, you're set to blow a fair portion of your paycheck.
    3) Pay for the anime you want. Saw a series you liked, regardless of the legality? Find it on a store and purchase it on DVD/Blu-Ray. If you can find a site that legitimately provides digital downloads, pay for it through that store. Can't find a digital download store? Try subscription services, usually by a company that licenses anime, Crunchyroll licenses directly from either a Japanese studio or from an English dubbing studio (for English dubbed anime).

* Living at home with parent(s) can lessen your fiscal responsibility. Rent is expensive these days, living at home with parent(s) is a lot more common these days and the amount you pay can be between $0 - $500, depending on your parent(s). This usually ends up giving you fewer fiscal responsibilities since they could just bundle it all together and you pay them and that then helps them pay the bills.
    ** Fiscal responsibilities can include: Rent/Mortgage, Utilities (Water, Sewage, Electricity, Trash (in some cases)), Trash (if not included with utilities), Phone, Internet, Television, Insurance (Health, Rent/Owner (Housing), Vehicle), Gas (if driving/carpooling), Public Transportation (if not driving/carpooling), and maybe a few others that I may have missed that the former items didn't cover.

3. cgsarebeast

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    "Funimation and CrunchyRoll has more than just Dragon Ball Z and Fairy Tail."
    I meant in their store not what is available to stream

I will, however, check out RightStuf

"You want to support the anime industry, a search engine would give you plenty of legitimate sites."
    I have tried that and I have a hard time figuring out which sites are legit, I dont have alot of money and want to spend most of what I can on official stuff rather than counterfeits or fan made

I cannot afford nor have interest in buying anime itself, this would be different if it wasnt so expensive but Id much rather have tangible items that are useful to me rather than a digital download Ill never use, when the same percentage is going to the artists. however, if you know of a site that is a direct licenser rather than a licensee(such as the artist themselfs) I would think about buying some from there as a donation of sorts but I dont have the money to buy downloads that maybe 5 percent goes to the artist, Streaming sites are against my ethos and I have crap internet and wouldnt be able to use them anyways, I have thought about manga however I havent had a chance to go to a bookstore I would much rather do that at a brick and mortar and that is on my list to do when Im in the city, I am looking for official merchandise that is useful to me such as clothes

Right now all my money is tied up in building my house, I am VERY fiscally responsible and live far outside my means with no debt due to this, I also have very little bills, own my house outright and two cars outright, however, my tight control over my money is what makes this possible it might sound like Im rich but Im FAR below the poverty line I am just very good at squeezing every dollar I have and grew up learning about money, investments and being fiscally responsible and this is the very reason I cannot afford to budget for anime, I can only squeeze it in when I have extra money I havent accounted for, right now I dont have any money to spend on anything that isnt a nessasity, however, I figure I need clothes I can get cool anime shirts and support the artists insted of buying cheap walmart crap, it doesnt have to be shirts or clothes its just the only thing I can think of right now, but it MUST be useful such as clothes or home stuff like bedding, kitchen items, ect
    I also wouldnt mind car stuff but honestly, I cannot afford it right now, however knowing where I could get stuff like that would be useful for when I can

I dont mean to sound ungrateful and the store suggestion is what I am looking for however I would really love to know if you know of any more stores online or off that sell official merchandise or away to maximize what goes back to the artists rather than studios & overhead

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    474 anime titles. They're bound to have more than Dragon Ball Z and Fairy Tail in their store, which Funimation does have way more than that in their store. Seriously, you need to use search if you're going to find something you like. Crunchyroll's main platform is streaming. If they have a store, I'm sure it's got at least 5 different anime brands for merchandise. Also title popularity is how merchandise gets sold. If it's not popular, you'll be hard pressed to find official merchandise from the original studio. You might find promotional merchandise.

You can usually find official sites both from the licensee and from the original studio that handles the series. They both will usually point to stores that authorize the sale of merchandise. It also means that those stores are licensed to sell them or are at least recognized as official merchandise stores when they give you a "where to buy" type of page. Again, a search engine is going to be your best option. Find a series you're interested in, find who owns the rights to them and search for their site.

Sorry to tell you, but anime merchandise is not exactly "useful" and is a luxury item. Anime merchandise doesn't exactly support the anime industry, it just shows the public you're a fan of a title. Buying the anime has more impact on supporting the industry as this can directly affect the popularity of the author responsible for the original title. Buying merchandise is actually more of a cash cow for studios that control the licensing of a product. If the artist has a contract that includes royalties for merchandise, then they're getting paid, otherwise artists are more likely getting shafted in merchandise sales.

I'm not sure you know how licensing works. Japanese studios and publishers control the licensing, the artists either say yay or nay (and that's about all they're typically able to say), especially in regards to anime adaptions to their manga or graphic novel. Merchandise is a studio cash cow to generate revenue for the production of the title they licensed. Importing costs money, and companies importing the product usually pay for that import fee. Companies can also usually get a discount on the product when they buy in bulk. This helps determine the price of merchandise when a company imports it for resale. Importing an individual item which could cost you more because of the lack of benefits that companies are offered for bulk purchases. Again, you're going to need to use a search engine to find these stores.

5. cgsarebeast

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I appreciate the help but I do not appreciate the condescension and "just buy the anime" when I have stated twice now why I cannot afford it and explained Im looking to either directly support the artist or indirectly by finding official merchandise
    I am a tech nerd and do not like forms, if I post on them its because I cannot fix the issue at hand myself, searching and researching I could do in my sleep I have studied various sciences for over 15 years and researching on the internet is very important to this and thus I am very adept at researching things this includes search engines so this is what I did first, anime merchandise is full of counterfeits and fan made stuff and its VERY hard to figure out which is which
    Buying anime and buying official merchandise supports the artist monetarily the same or close to the same however buying anime as you stated shows demand while buying merchandise supports the studio I agree and know this, I dont personally like it but as Ive stated above I dont have enough money to do buy anime, maybe one maybe now explain to me how that helps anyone, if I thought it would help I would
    While I agree with you buying merchandise is a luxury it doesn't have to be as I stated above twice Im looking for useful things or simply things I wouldve bought anyways but I can support what I love while doing so
    "474 anime titles. They're bound to have more than Dragon Ball Z and Fairy Tail in their store"
    Your stuck on the fact I said dragon ball z and fairy tail and missed the point I was making entirely, I said very popular LIKE,...... I know most merchandise is made for popular anime, Funimation has mostly dragon ball z stuff, a few fairly tail stuff and about two other anime with a few stuff last time I checked which was about a week ago, CrunchyRoll has less, Im not an idiot I would obviously check with them 1st before I checked anywhere else
    "I'm not sure you know how licensing works"
    I do, I know quite a lot about it both in my home country and in Japan I am very politically active and a activist and thus I need to know stuff like this in order to advocate for human rights
    I think you think Im a idiot or a troll, I figured my question was obvious and something others here might want to know and I liked the idea you have going on here but I didnt think the admin would be so unwelcoming and condescending
    I will rephrase my question and if you wanna help I would really appreciate it otherwise feel free to delete my account and posts if you feel the need to continue to berate me for not wanting to buy anime when you run a pirate site

#5 cgsarebeast, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 1