Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Gangsta

Discussion in 'SOS Brigade (Clubs)' started by Supernatural-Knight, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    [​IMG]

In the city of Ergastulum, a shady ville filled with made men and petty thieves, whores on the make and cops on the take, there are some deeds too dirty for even its jaded inhabitants to touch. Enter the "Handymen," Nic and Worick, who take care of the jobs no one else will handle. Until the day when a cop they know on the force requests their help in taking down a new gang muscling in on the territory of a top Mafia family. It seems like business (and mayhem) as usual, but the Handymen are about to find that this job is a lot more than they bargained for.

Well this started and already we have the harsh world setting coming in loud and clear. I think I'm going to enjoy the violence in this show. I'm hoping that Alex develops a less annoying voice, but a deaf anime character is relatively unique for me.
    Who else is excited for what is to come?

2. Natsuru-san Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Me. I'm excited knowing a dub is prolly happening 4-8 sub eps later. On that same note @Supernatural-Knight I know this is the new release club but what say u to opening a Dub discussion thread since the dubs from Funi last Spring were coming out while the sub was airing, just 4-8 weeks behind the sub thus making them a new release as well? Maybe see if the group likes this and would partake?

3. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    @Natsuru-san personally I'm against the idea, the dub is the exact same thing but released later and generally worse [yes I'm a mostly sub fan now, new dubs suck, blah blah blah etc]. It'd be pointless splitting up discussion about the same series between two different threads when one will struggle enough by itself. I know it is seemingly impossible having both types in the same thread without spoilers but I'm still against the idea.
    If an anime was released dubbed first then it'd work [Space Dandy anyone?] but unless another circumstance like that I think it won't really matter.

Back to Gangsta, I read comments that it wasn't really censored but I'd like to believe that the violence was at least shown more in the manga. If Nicolas really did slice them up out of panel I'd be disappointed by that.
    His strength is impressive too, that kick, I'd like to see what happens to a character if he kicks them in the jaw or something.

4. Natsuru-san Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    @Supernatural-Knight
    The dub is never the exact same thing, mostly sure, but certain words are said differently, meant differently, and the VA are different too. For example, while everyone in the sub/raw of S;G sounds great/good/ok, Okabe, our MC sounds god awful when he does his mad scientist laugh, which happens...a lot. But in the dub they all sound great/good and Okabe's English VA does one hell of a mad scientist laugh, but sub/raw, makes me cringe when I hear his laugh. -_-

Further more, as you've said, unless the dub airs at the same time as the sub, this would mean 1 discussion thread and, that for those who wish to watch an anime dubbed and are waiting on said dub, are GOING to be missing out on the discussions of the anime if there's no dub thread for us to discuss it in. I mean, for example (if allowed) what if DB Super had won and was an activity? Many of us here like Meta and myself don't like Goku's VA in the raw/sub and are trying to wait for the dub, is it right anyone should miss out on discussing a series? Should we have to spoil ourselves just to start discussing with others for when we get to see it? No. So I don't believe it is pointless to have a dub and a sub discussion thread as long as the dub is airing at some point along side the sub but even so, if this doesn't at least make you reconsider, then there's nothing more I can say/do but, thank you for considering it no matter how much/long it was.

5. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    @Natsuru-san , you can just make a new thread for a dub discussion in the regular anime section, right? Just tell the sub watchers to not spoil or not come there. Same for the DB Super one. Although i'm not sure how long it'll take for a dub for that to come out. Haven't heard anything about it but haven't searched for it either.

Anyway, i'm gonna suprise @Supernatural-Knight by saying i am watching Gangsta as a weekly. I think i can manage this one and DB Super, just have to lessen Gintama, which is the bad news i have for you :p Only 2 eps less in a week than usual though, but there you have the exact problem i have with weeklys now, i can watch like 5/6 Gintama eps per week, every weekly i watch is minus 1 Gintama ep.

So for the first ep, it was decent. I like the long haired guy character, i like Nicolas' skills, i'm not a big fan of him being deaf though. But him screaming to get his point across to the cops was badass. I like the setting, working together with the police, bribing them, the killing, the violence, i like it all. Just can't say it's great yet though.
    This show has been compared to Black Lagoon multiple times. I can see why, but i don't think it will be as good. We will see though. It had a good start overall.

6. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    God, you have no idea how much I agree with this. I still like dubs, but a LOT of the new dubs have been terrible, especially anything that gets simulcast. The sound quality tends to be shit. I honestly don't see why they don't wait a little bit.

As for my thoughts on the show, I had downloaded it but the subs were so terrible, I had no idea what the hell was going on, so I didn't finish it. I'll probably look for a torrent tomorrow if I remember.

7. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    The Space Dandy dub was fine. Or maybe its cuz i barely watch dubs.

2nd ep.. It was good. Alot of violence again, we got to know abit more about the dogtags. I still don't like the fact that Nicolas is deaf, sometimes people talk to him without handsigns and he seemed to understand.
    A happy elementary school girl joined the show. This doesn't fit in with a gangster themed show, but okay. Still can't say it will be a true masterpiece.