Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Future Elimination Games

Discussion in 'Elimination Games' started by Supernatural-Knight, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    @bedheadred

It's getting that time again that we start nominating for our next elimination game however with this round comes our first ever repeating theme and I was curious if there was anyway we could change it and all subsequent events from what they were from the last time to prevent the games from going stale. If we repeat themes there are bound to be characters re-entered for a second try which is kind of against the point of these games, to find the 'best' representatives from the genres.
    Considering it is still days away I was hoping there would be enough time to decide upon a new theme before then, and of course afterwards, the next 11 months worth as well.
    Some ideas I thought that could make for an interesting round are Swordsmen, idols/bands [ones that spend the entire show trying to make it eg Beck not ones that spend a few minutes of a single episode performing eg haruhi], or perhaps Sensei meaning both teachers and doctors.

Whats your thoughts/feedback on this idea everyone?

2. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I think there are good and bad points to both keeping the current months and changing them out. They will eventually become boring due to repeated themes but I don't anticipate this happening until say the 3rd go around. I know that I for one will be nominating people who were not in previous games for that month. New shows are coming out all the time and there's many series people have never nominated from that we could keep up a fresh pace for some time. new themes would be slightly difficult to come by as we've done most character archetypes already, with a few exceptions. We'd eventually start getting into more specific things like sword wielders and other types of weapons instead of generalizing a theme for melee weapon users. If we were able to come up with 12 more solid themes that weren't far stretched I would be in favor of it. But as it stands I'm leaning more towards keeping them. Of course the ultimate decision is up to Red, so this is just my two cents.

3. Lince Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    I'd have to say I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree with this proposal. I agree that repeated themes will make the game grow stale, but there are some themes that I think have a lot of other characters that fit. Just to give an example, Moevember and Tsundember are both months that have a very wide range of character selections simply because there are so many across the anime world. There may be certain months that would be difficult to fill in with a whole slate of unique characters, but it's definitely possible to give the categories a fresh new look. Personally, the next time around I'm not even considering nominating characters whom have already been nominated in the past if the current themes stick. I'm not opposed to any changes, i'm just basically agreeing with Spor that we could probably give it one more shot without completely running out of unique characters to nominate.

4. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I see both your points and have been pondering as well. I offer a solution in which we keep some and mix some up. It is a compromise to what you have both stated.

I believe there are some of the games we have already used that have characters to support another game--Moevember, Tsundember, Maygic--with new anime and the rotation of the people who use the forum. I would like to exclude the winner of the previous game.

There were other months that weren't so popular or there isn't a new character base that could be changed.

Moevember
    Tsundember
    January?
    Danderebruary
    Melee March
    Ahoge April
    Megane May or Maygic
    June in Jest (Best Comedy Anime)
    Justice in July (Heroes, since we did villains last year)
    Ecchi August (Best Fanservice Anime)
    Sensei September (Teachers and Doctors)
    Over-Powered October

Here are some ideas. Nothing is set in stone and I welcome feedback and open conversation and opinions. We just need to decide on November now to start nominations.

5. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    I personally am looking forward to the second annual Moevember. While I'd like to see different characters, I'm sure some from last year will be nominated but that's to be expected. As for REd's suggestion, I'm happy with the list of themes she made.

6. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    B-b-b-b-but, Nyanuary... surely there are enough kittehs for another run around?? :O

7. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I think definitely keep November and December. Like Lince said, they definitely have a wide selection of characters you could choose from. And those are pretty standard archetypes so new characters that fit into those months will continue appearing in new releases all year. And removing stuff like Garch and Gunner Chick month is probably for the best. Another you might be able to reuse is The Magic month or Mecha month there's numerous possibilities in those as well.

Kuudere, Yuusha (heros, since we already did villains), Bokkuko, loli/shota, chikyugai. @Bedheadred this site also has a good simple description for each character archetype which you can also use in the nomination threads so people don't try and vote too far off the theme. http://nhanfiction.com/2013/02/11/anime-girl-archetypes/

Some others could be: Anthropomorphic Personification, Anti-Hero, Big Fun (The big, fun, lovable fat guy. Or the a Boisterous Bruiser), mentors (but that already fits the sensei theme suggested), characters over 60 or 70, That cynical jerkass that really needs a reality check (ex. Vegeta), hikikomori or shut in types, girls with glasses, tough women (reverse garch)

And you could always reprise my red haired girls side elimination game that I did on JDR. I can think of a lot more themes but few which really have a lot of potential choices.

8. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    I'd really really really love if we'd keep Nyanuary at least once more, I've been looking forward to it for the last month or more. Nyaaa~?

9. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    @Bedheadred everyone seems to want to keep Movember or at least aren't opposed to keeping it. So maybe for the rest everyone can suggest stuff for awhile and then we could perhaps pile all the new suggestions, and last years themes, into a vote giving voters 11 options to choose from. This way the community can once again have a say in the next round of votes?

10. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I have an idea. In order to help keep things from getting stale you can't nominate anything from the previous running of a theme. So for Moevember you can't nominate anyone that was in the last Moevember. If that seems too extreme maybe ban the four from the Semi finals. At the very least I believe the winner of the previous Moevember should be banned from re-entering.

11. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I have an idea. In order to help keep things from getting stale you can’t nominate anything from the previous running of a theme. So for Moevember you can’t nominate anyone that was in the last Moevember. If that seems too extreme maybe ban the four from the Semi finals. At the very least I believe the winner of the previous Moevember should be banned from re-entering.

That would limit the competitions even more. I know there's a lot of characters out there who could be recast a few times over but then you're getting into obscure characters or at the least characters which people aren't very familiar with. People wanna see popular names in these things, albeit getting stale. I think encouraging fresh nominations and switching up the themes every year would be sufficient. We seem to have a lot of suggestions already that would be fun to do.

12. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    June in Jest (Best Comedy Anime)
    Ecchi August (Best Fanservice Anime)
    Over-Powered October  

Personally I am kind of against these ones. All eliminations have been characters so best comedy anime goes against that and it can't really be limited to a single character from each series since it is the interactions with others that makes it a comedy. Similar for ecchi since its an anime again instead of a character and choosing a single best fanservice character is impossible and should probably go to a character from a H anyway. As for overpowered it reminds me of Gar and apart from the additions of everyones favourite shounen characters it sounds like most of the other nominees would consist of who we saw in march, after all Gar is synonymous with overpowered.

13. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    Oh, and an idea for a elim theme that I've been thinking about for a few months: Hated characters. Everyone nominates a character they hate, and people vote on the one they don't like more. I've been discussing it a little with Super, and he said it could be difficult cause everyone has their own opinions on characters, but agreed that that could actually end up making it more fun.
    "a round such as alucard vs tohru honda could come up, the match ups could be absolutely ridiculous. This is starting to sound more fun to me."
    And in addition to that, it could get even more interesting cause people might not want to give the characters the satisfaction of winning, even though it means they’re the most hated. Imagine the internal chaos it could cause. XD
    It'd probs be a bit difficult to get done right cause people might still vote for the character they like more, but it's just a suggestion. ;)

14. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I felt like making a list of everything which has been suggested here so maybe we could get some input on the theme ideas we have so far.

Swordsmen
    idols/bands
    Sensei (doctors and teachers)
    Dandere
    Melee
    Ahoge
    Megane
    Comedic
    Yuusha (Heros)
    Ecchi
    Over-Powered
    Kuudere
    Bokkuko
    loli/shota
    chikyugai
    Anthropomorphic
    Anti-Hero
    Big Fun (overweight characters)
    Elderly
    Cynics
    hikikomori
    Hated Characters

15. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    Is Hated Characters possible? Hate is an opinion and some may not hate that character while others do.

16. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    Is Hated Characters possible? Hate is an opinion and some may not hate that character while others do.

That's exactly why it could be so much fun. Eg, the general consensus is that people hate Kyubey, where as I think he's an adorable little mother-father with the universe's best interests at heart.

17. Natsuru-san Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Batosai wrote:
    That’s exactly why it could be so much fun. Eg, the general consensus is that people hate Kyubey, where as I think he’s an adorable little mother-father with the universe’s best interests at heart.

AHAHAHAHAHA! Maybe his home world sure but not the universes. (Unless I ma remembering wrong) And geeze I really like Kyubey and don't hate him at all but on the OTHER HAND, there is a character which I practically HATED and with a passion because of how he was towards others.
    [​IMG]
    Noumi. If you wanna know why, go watch Accel World, he appears in the 2nd half of the anime and is a MC.
    So, yeah, I fully support having a most hated nomination game (Though a most loved nomination game would be nice too) and I also support keeping some of the old games while introducing new ones or even having a new twist on the old ones to make them new and fresh. :)

@Bedheadred: Is that a gif avi I see there? Nice, thought DTR couldn't have them? Also, how is it you, Kiri and Spor have those awesome pics in the BG of all your posts? Please tell me reg members can have these too? Also, I am LOVING the Halloween themed DTR and the bigger text size for the forum. Good job! (^-^)b

18. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    The animated effect is part of her name. And sorry, the background post image and all the other effects is staff only.

19. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I just thought of the bestest theme for next No-Shave November--best beard!

20. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I just thought of the bestest theme for next No-Shave November–best beard!