Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Eiichiro Oda to Editor: 'Die for One Piece'

Discussion in 'Anime News' started by Vladnyx, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    One Piece creator Eiichiro Oda is known for his work ethic. He claims to only sleep from 2:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m., take no time off, and work on his manga for basically all his waking hours. Since launching the series in 1997, Oda has only rarely put the manga on hiatus to take care of himself.
    [​IMG]
    Oda would apparently like to see that same hard-working determination in all Shueisha staff members that work on One Piece. Images of an interview Shueisha published to promote the One Piece Film Gold anime recently surfaced online. In the interview, members of the editorial team that have worked on One Piece describe their memories with Oda.

Former One Piece editor Naoki Kawashima said that the thing he remembers most about when he became the series' editor is Oda telling him to "die for One Piece." Kawashima recalled the incident with a laugh but said Oda's words moved him. The editor's initial reaction was "what, really?" but he also thought that "This person really works with that kind of resolution."

Another member of the editorial team compared Oda's efforts to an F1 racecar. However, he described the team as normal people comparable to Japan's common compact cars. The editors sometimes have a hard time keeping up.
    [​IMG]
    Many online commentators reacted to the interview by saying how "amazing" Oda's work ethic is. One person said that "Oda is like Shueisha's workhorse." Another net user said "It's amazing he doesn't get Togashi Disease." Although not an actual medical diagnosis, fans use the term "Togashi Disease" to describe when a creator seems to have a condition where they no longer want to write manga. The name comes from Yoshihiro Togashi, the Hunter X Hunter manga creator who often puts the series on hiatus without a clear explanation.

Oda says One Piece is about 65% complete, so hopefully he can avoid Togashi Disease and maintain his stamina. He already knows what the final panel will be, so that should help pull him towards the finish line.

Apart from writing his mega-hit manga, Oda has also served as executive producer for the anime's last two films,One Piece Film Gold and One Piece Film Z. The creator's amazing devotion to his story is praiseworthy, but it calls to mind some manga and anime artists' complaints about poor working conditions in Japan. Many people in Japan also succumb every year to karōshi, or death from overwork.

Oda, you're amazing, but please sleep more than three hours a night. The fans will understand.​

2. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    I use to be a large fan of One Piece but now not so much. I can barely even bother to watch the newest episode each week now, it has just gone too downhill from what it use to be. I've asked manga readers and a few agree that it isn't the same as it use to be as well.
    I just wish Oda went back to writing something entertaining again. I'd be okay with One Piece ending to give the man some rest but we all knew his resolution was like this. Telling the editor to die for it though, I'm not sure what I think about that.

3. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    To be honest I have never been a huge fan of One Piece. Once in a while I'll tune in to watch a few climatic episodes because fans have mentioned or hyped things up to such a degree I can't ignore it anymore. I couldn't even begin to say if the show has been going downhill from what it used to be. As for Oda telling the editor and well the rest of Shueisha's staff for that matter to die for One Piece I think is more of a extreme metaphor not to be taken literally. Think Oda just wants people to follow him and put in the same hard word resolution he has put into this series over so many years. There is a simple reason the man drives himself into the ground and it's because he loves this piece of work he has created. ​