Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Dungeon ni Deai

Discussion in 'SOS Brigade (Clubs)' started by Supernatural-Knight, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Dungeon ni Deai

[​IMG]

Commonly known as the "Dungeon," the city of Orario possesses a huge labyrinth in the underground. Its strange name attracts excitement, illusions of honor, and hopes of romance with a pretty girl. In this city of dreams and desires, new adventurer Bell Cranel has his fateful encounter with the tiny Goddess Hestia.

Thus begins the story of a boy striving to become the best adventurer and a lonely goddess searching for followers both hoping to reach their goals and perhaps have some romance on the side.​

The first episode of this is out now so what was everyone's first impression?
    So far I think it is a fine way to start a show but overall I wasn't too impressed by it either. Hopefully this will turn into something enjoyable soon since people seem hypes for this.

2. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Uh... I have mixed feelings. It feels so weird that what took months to read happened in 20 minutes (monthly release manga).
    I'm glad they picked these voice actors. Almost exactly how I imagined them to sound in the manga. Actually expected MC to have an even softer voice since he did look like a crybaby there.

Maybe would like everything to go slower as it feels like stuff happen way too fast...but overall, not disappointed at all ^^

P.S. I won't be able to add much discussion to this as I already know future eps :(

3. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    The first episode was alright. It has potential for sure. I'm embarrassed to say, but judging off the cover image (same as above), I though Bell was going to be a girl... oh well.

4. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    It might be they just wanted to speed through the set up. Like get passed him growing from a useless wimp who is all alone besides his goddess to where he gets a little competent and starts to really meet people. After all I'm guessing this is just a 12 episode series so they don't have a few episodes for him to get off the ground.

Anyway the first episode seemed interesting and I like how he didn't stay a useless idiot for long although from what you said he only reached that so fast because they sped through the intro part.

5. ShadowLinks Hero of Time

Ratings:
    +57 / 1 / -0
    Pretty much what I'd expect from the first episode. It set up the world, introducing the concept of the gods/goddesses, the dungeon, and his drive. The voices all seem to fit so far. On a personal note this is the first time i've recognized the voice of a japanese VA (Bell=Kirito from SOA). Something about the animation strikes me as off though...not bad just off...

I'm kinda like Ovyda, I know what going on since I'm currently up to date in the manga. (although the original source is the LN)

6. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    He doesn't stay crybaby in manga for long too but I mean it just felt weird for me how everything happened so fast in one episode that took manga to cover a few chapters. Interesting part is that they didn't really skip anything important, so we are all good with this pace.

7. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    So if they didn't skip anything does that mean we'll get a faithful adaptation? From what I understand this ep adapted several chapters that took months to be released simply because of the stupid release schedule, right?

I think that might make him an okay protagonist, at least if he isn't wimpy it shows he is growing already. It seemed a little fast for him to grow but oh well it wasn't poorly handled so I'm fine with it. My issue was how forced him realising he's useless was. That whole end half of that conversation the drunk guy was shouting was beyond ridiculous. It is fine in the way that drunks can say whatever they want but to get to that so quickly was my slight issue with it.

Haha that is definitely an interesting mistake. Did you watch the PV I provided or jump straight in and watch it first?

8. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree. They might as well have had him say "This is my de-motivational speech to make the MC feel like shit to give him the push he needs to improve and everything I say, including the part about the sword princess NEVER wanting to date him, will be proven wrong sooner or later". I get why they had it there and I"m kind of glad they just got it out of the way instead of dwelling on it. But still who talks like that even drunk "Hey comerade who do you like more me or some little kid who you met for two seconds before he ran away" does he do this all the time? "Hey Princess who would you rather date me or what one merchant we passed on the way here". They could have speed through it and not been so forced with that line.

But again the whole "bully motivates MC" is pretty cliche in general so I'm just glad we're past it here and not wasting an entire episode or two on it.

#8 Metazoxan, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  9. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    The anime is adapting Light Novel. Manga is pretty much the same tho but it is on monthly release and I am sure anime will eventually get ahead of manga :/

10. Natsu Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    The anime seems very interesting, wonder how good will it be later on

11. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Haha Meta, that response was awesome to read. If that is something he does then the possibilities are endless, "who do you like more me or that guy that just left the room". No matter how it was done, using that as the motivation was going to come off as half arsed.
    While it is a bit cliche, having a MC not know he is pathetic so we can watch him struggle would have been time consuming and wouldn't allow the plot to jump right into harem stuff.

That being said, what are your thoughts about skipping over the MC training to get stronger that night? He was passionate and definitely had the drive so missing it feels like they chickened out on some story for me. Skipping training arcs seems to be pretty popular in anime.

12. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Well according to Ovyda it's not even a harem but I only read the first chapter some time ago so I wouldn't know. So far he only has one or two potential love interests which is just a love triangle at best so if it doesn't go beyond that then it won't be a harem.

I think Shonen have taken to skipping over the training because every other shonen and even many non shonen in the past were devoting entire arcs to training. Sometimes the training could involve a pretty awesome adventure or character development but it was still a break from the main plot for several chapters to show the MC get stronger. So the idea of showing the MC's training in detail has become cliche and I think most people don't care much anymore. Then One Piece did the unthinkable and skipped the training arc. They did a bit of a preview showing them starting their training and finishing their training after the time skip but besides showing that it was happening they skipped over the details. Since then Fairy Tail and other series have done similar things where they show the training happening but one way or another they skip the details and move on with the plot. I think it's interesting as this means stuff like character development and showing the characters struggles must either be shown in what little training they do show or must be done during the story.

13. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    It still seems like it sure is building up to be a harem so I am not going to think it won't be just yet. It just has that vibe.

I hate that shounen series typically skip training arcs because like you said Meta, it skips a hell of a lot of development and characterisation. I think this show is okay with this at least because they skipped not too much at all but as a whole the idea of skipping all the hard work is idiotic.
    I wonder how much tougher this character could have possibly got in one night?

14. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    They didn't used to skip them though. It's just people got a bit tired of them since ALL they did was develop character which could also be done within the plot related arcs if paced right. So at some point shonen series started to skip them more often than not or they'd mix the training into the main plot arc and just train slowly along the way. But it seems devoting several episodes or a whole arc to just training has fallen out of style.

Also think about it from this perspective you already know pretty much what would happen if they showed the training arc. He'd work hard, struggle, probably almost give up, pick himself back up, get stronger, and done. People already have a pretty good idea of what kind of growth happens during training without it having to be shown. Besides I doubt this is the end of his growth all last episode did was show him grinding RPG style all night long.

15. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    I think that is the flaw with shounen series, they have two options and now that one has become popular almost every show decides to follow it. The longer running shows like to throw the training in as flashbacks later on and I think that is why I don't like it. Sure this won't continue long enough [surely not] to do this but still it gets annoying sometimes.

Some grinding wouldn't have been bad, esp if it just continued the scene a little longer to show how he had dealt with the swarm of things that just spawned.
    Well time for him to level up some more.

16. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Well it isn't a harem at where manga is right now but it's adapting LN so it might go into harem route.

17. ShadowLinks Hero of Time

Ratings:
    +57 / 1 / -0
    His skill literally makes training unnecessary. He just grinds away and gets exponential growth compared to normal people.

As for the harem, even where the manga I don't consider it a harem yet, but it does seem to be inching towards one.

18. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    So wait is his skill basically an EXP boost or is it a bonus stat boost upon level up?

Also Loli boobs forgot to give him the knife.

19. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    As I understand his skill is that lets him get stronger faster than everyone else who will do the same kind of "training". I don't think he gets stronger by doing nothing.

Checked back in manga how it's described.

[​IMG]

20. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    The way I understood it was that if he trains he gains bonus experience as long as he is focussed on one task. I take it getting stronger is his goal [unless the woman who saved him is] so he will continue to get stronger much faster than others around him.

The gods party seemed interesting, wish we had a bit more interaction there but I guess none of the others are too important for a while.

And apart from forgetting to give him the knife, did anyone else think that the gate that he shut behind her was stupidly designed? There was a locking mechanism sure but with the bars like that anyone with long enough arms could reach out and undo the latch.