Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Doomguy Plays : Doom 3

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Doomguy, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Doom 3? How about finishing up Final Fantasy 8?

If you don't know or remember, I've done things like this before.
    https://justanimeforum.net/threads/complete-final-fantasy-vii-as-played-by-doomguy.5732/
    https://justanimeforum.net/threads/final-fantasy-viii-the-failed-playthrough-theory.7745/ (I will finish this one day)
    https://justanimeforum.net/threads/doomguy-plays-fallout-3-new-vegas-complete.9049/

This time will be different. This time I'm going to RECORD my gameplay. I'm excited to try it this way. Let's see what I decide on.

2. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Alright I decided to play Doom 3 for some October Halloween jump scares. I will use the Doom 3 : Redux mod to spiffy up the graphics. I've never modded this game before so I don't know what to expect. Looks easy enough to apply, just did a quick ten minute run and it looks good. It's been a long time since I played Doom 3, I think I'll use this game as an excuse to finally get interested in Doom 4.

This will be a video play through too, I'm not sure if screenshots will properly catch the tension of the moments. I'll see if I could get a few videos up by tomorrow or Saturday.

3. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Okay I got it up and going.

So Doom 3, violent, bloody, and scary. Well scary for it's time. THe biggest contribution to the fear is the jump scares and and constant darkness. From what I heard, Doom 4 breaks away from what this game tried to achieve.
    Before I go into the newer game, let's take one last look at Doom 3. Since my computer doesn't suck anymore and maxed out the graphics and installed Doom : Redux mod. It bumps up the textures and messes around with sounds to make the game look respectable for today.

I wasn't sure if it was working since the game looked good to me even in the past. I knew it definitely was working once the cutscene between the UAC Executive and the doctor kicked in. Those facial models weren't that well detailed.
    So here's the first video. Don't expect too much out of me talking, I'm a man of a few words.

------------
    And here's the second video.
    Not sure why my voice was more muted on this one. Probably because it was getting late. That bathroom part though is creepy.

----------

And the third vid
    The game hasn't been to hard yet but the Pinky demon that shows up in close combat shows how quickly you can lose control if you let the enemy get the jump on you.

------------
    There's plenty more where that came from.

4. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Here's another trio of videos. Each of the levels take about twenty minutes each. I was able to bump up the graphics but not from the game itself. Instead I messed around with my compression settings so It should upload better quality now. Youtube says it's HD so...yeah.

The interesting part in the level comes from that creepy guy who was stuck on the ceiling. I'm not sure what monsters these new guys are, they are new to the series. They don't seem as tough as the fire throwing Imps.

-------------------------
    The spiders aren't dangerous on their own but in groups they can overwhelm you. I'm not afraid of them in real life but I couldn't remember if this game would actually unleash one of them inside the vents hence my hesitation.

------------------------
    Alpha Labs are quite big. Nothing super new on this level, I do pick up a Chain Gun and work on my pistol aim against the spiders. As far as close range combat goes, the Pinky is probably the biggest threat. Also the shotgun wielding zombies are the worst. The machine gun ones are annoying since they screw up your aim but they lack the killing punch.

5. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Moving along now, We meet a familier Classic Doom enemy.

--------------------

We get up close and personal with some more enemies. Also why is there Chainsaws on Mars? (Game makes fun of itself here with a email log about that). Speaking of the email and PDA stuff, I pretty much ignore most of that stuff.

------------------

You can actually choose to send the transmission to earth for help (General Kelly's orders), of decide to stick with what Swan wants you to do and keep everything quite until we can figure out what happened to the base.

6. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Moving along. I messed around with the volume settings so my voice is louder at the cost of less ingame volume. I may have gotten it too loud but it's really hard to tell when using headphones.
    We fall into some other section on Mars and come face to face with a new enemy. I just call them skeloton guys. In the classic Doom 2, these guys were glass cannons. In this game, they are a little tougher health wise but their firepower can be kept in check since their rockets can be shot down.

---------------------------

Oh man this place. Seriously I forgot about these...things. I was on edge on this level and I think it showed in my gameplay. Sorry for the outburst in the end, that trap caught me by surprise. At first I thought one of those 'things' chased me up the elevator but then realized the gas.

Pure luck I dodged that rocket, what is up with the chaingun? I can't hit anything with it.

----------------------------

As interesting as the last level was, this one was anything but that. Only two areas stuck out, that big garage place and the security checkpoint. Honestly a forgettable level.

-------------------------------

This one was pretty neat, if only for the slow start up to build up the atmosphere. The only thing is, I'm not sure why I couldn't go through some of the doors. A long level, I liked this one.

-----------------------------

I feel like the game went backward with the difficulty. There were a lot of zombies in this level and more straight forward one on one fights. I got a little lost but figured out that to proceed I needed some platforming skills.
    Also we learn something regarding teleports.

7. Phazon I Got A Trophy!

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Annoying skull guys = Lost souls
    Spiders = Trites
    Skeloton guys = Revenants

For someone named "Doomguy" you really don't act the part

• Like Like x 1
  8. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, not enough...
    "RIP AND TEAR"
    "You picked up the chainsaw, time to find some meat"
    "Picked up a medkit you REALLY need!"
    :Ouch face:
    "I wouldn't leave if I were you.
    DOS is much worse."
    "Doomguy stood in awe of the Spider Mastermind."

Or my personal favorite "Doomguy was eviscerated by a Fiend"
    Oh wait, that's the wrong game. That one haunts my memory the most. Should have done Quake.

9. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    I nearly beat the game now. It's just a matter of me not being lazy and putting up the videos. Here's the next section of the game, some kind of biology sector.

The only highlights I think were the actual specimens inside the containers and maybe that part where you have to follow the lit up specimen container in the dark room.
    Oh and that new fire throwing enemy. If it's supposed to be an arch-vile it a poor imitation of one.

--------------------------

I do like this level, I generally like the longer ones. Bit of a difficulty spike, that or I started to get lax. I'm actually doing better than I thought I would in this game (that's not saying much is it?). The difficulty however doesn't come from the lack of ammo, rather the surprise encounters and wrong gun selection. If I could, I would just use the plasma rifle all came since it's so good. I always default back to the shotgun because it's something I'm so used to doing in the classic doom game.

10. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Love reading your play throughs. I haven't played D3 so I haven't much to contribute.

11. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    I had to go to Mars so I can play the Hell level, pardon the wait.

Probably the best level in the whole game. Also the hardest. What isn't shown are the several deaths I went through. A lot of it is because of not knowing the little traps and what enemies are waiting for you. Some of it is the platforming elements and while the game as a whole doesn't rely on it, I really despise falling into inescapable pits of deaths.
    I know in the old doom, falling into lava and stuff could actually reveal secret passageways and stuff like that.

Short level which backtracks through the entirety of the Delta labs. Mostly the places I couldn't go through. This explains the locked doors I recall seeing a few times. The tricky part was mostly me trying to remember how to use the soul cube. All in all, a breather from the previous level.

-----------------------------------

That jump scare though. Just remember to clean up your gaming area people.

-----------------------------------

Kind of a disappointing showdown here. I admit I died once but that was because I fell into the pit (I really suck at platforming in any game)
    I'm wondering if the mod I have did something to buff the rocket launcher or something. Too late to change it if so. Too lazy to bother checking.

--------------------------------

Nice little Easter egg with the stone tablet. Not sure why there are still people alive on the base though. Think about it, is it really necessary for that guy to even tell me anything he said at that point? I understand the game wants to tell it's story but there's no need for someone to literally tell me. It's showing me pretty clear with it's actions and imagery.

I'm pretty close to done, will try to upload the rest as soon as possible.

12. Rebecca Fike

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is so amazing as I am so late to know about this but I think this is the great initiative to start, for me completing the game in the multiplayer mode we need to complete the single player mode game.