Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Display and Coontrol Iphone with Windows 10 Laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Temple' started by Cpt_K3nny, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    Hi Guys,

This is weird for me asking a question instead of giving advice but here we go...

I have someone who wishes to display and control his Iphone from his windows 10 laptop.

Background explination:

He is a truck driver and getting old (70) and wishes to have his Iphone Google map fully displayed on his laptop he has mounted in his truck & he also wishes to control it from the laptop witch is a touch screen....

Now it looks like there is someway to get the Iphone to display on the screen with airdrop but I don't think it lets you control the Iphone from the computer if anyone knows differently please let me know......

My solution for him would be to buy a GPS USB stick and download a software for it on his laptop

Witch brings me to my second question...

what would be a good USB GPS stick & a good App for GPS on a Laptops

Ive read a few review about the USB GPS stick but none really stands out & it looks like Windows Maps would be an option and i've also looked at Sygic witch seems decent if any of you guys know of a good user friendly one to use please let me know...

Thanks

2. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure about iPhone, but my Asus ZenPhone 2 has this feature called PC Link which does allow me to control my phone from my computer (and not necessarily has to be Windows 10 on the PC). I run PC Link on my computer, open the app on my ZenPhone and I get a blown-up view of my phones screen and can control it within that large window. I would first look to see if Apple even provides remote control software for PC / Mac to control iPhone, iPad, and/or iTouch. Considering Apple is obsessively strict with their hardware, I'm not so sure they'll even allow people to remote control their own iDevice from a PC / Mac, let alone allow a developer to create one that controls an iDevice instead of the iDevice controlling the PC / Mac.

I have no knowledge of USB GPS devices, but there are Mobile Broadband options as well that allow your laptop to pretty much do almost everything a phone does (and quite possibly turn your laptop into a large phone if you use Skype or similar services, since phones these days are just a very compact version of a computer). Mobile Broadband does come as USB dongles (or USB sticks) and can look like a USB flash drive (thumb drive, etc) and connect you to cell towers, allowing you to open up sites like Google Maps for your navigation needs. My step-dad is an over-the-road trucker veteran and he always carries an atlas that he can use when technology just isn't working (for any reason, including broken devices). Another option is USB tethering to the laptop and just using your cellphone's cellular internet service (mobile broadband) to connect to the internet and using Google Maps or any other maps site out there. Could be cheaper than a USB GPS, depending if he's constantly streaming media or not through his phone's cellular internet connection.

3. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0

Getting internet on his machine is not the issue as he can hotspot his Iphone The issue is he wants to use his laptop as the GPS and not only to look a map on google map but as a navigating tool and live updates....

I looked for that App called PC link on my wifes IPAD and no such luck......

I just bought him a GPS receiver USB stick and we will see how this works :) Ill let you know.....

Thanks for the advice though I appreciate it..

4. Negi-Springfield Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -1
  5. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    Soooo Just a quick update on this....

He decided to go with a USB GPS Unit and buy an softwarecall Copilot Trucking..... and I made 500$ for 10 hours of work YAY :)