Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Denpa Kyoushi

Discussion in 'SOS Brigade (Clubs)' started by Supernatural-Knight, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Denpa Kyoushi

[​IMG]

Kagami Junichirou was known as a physics genius when he was a teenager, and he was even published in "Nature." However, after college, he suddenly lost all interest in science. As a NEET, he's devoted himself to his anime blog and nerdy collecting habits. He claims he has a serious illness called "I can't do anything I don't want to do." Desperate to get him to do something with his life, his little sister manages to get him a job teaching physics at his old high school. He's certainly an unconventional teacher, but he becomes fairly popular with the students. After helping a girl who's being ruthlessly bullied, Kagami finds that he actually likes teaching. Will he continue his career as a weird teacher? Will he go back into physics? Or will he end up back where he started?​

Since this isn't currently out yet I am expecting this to be released tomorrow so before it airs quick question: what are your expectations for this show?

2. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    The only thing I'm kind of sad about is I've already read the manga far past where the anime could ever get to in one season. So I'm just going to be seeing stuff I've seen before animated unless they go original route. But the manga was good so it would be better if they just followed it.

3. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Well @Metazoxan after watching the first ep there is a bunch I'm sad about now.......
    I had some hopes for this because of your high praise but that first ep didn't do anything for me. Instantly the animation struck me as odd and the pacing seemed awfully fast.
    Once you've got the chance to watch it I'll be more specific about this, I don't want to take away everything from you since you already know the plot.

4. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Okay first off I don't normally say this but Kagami's voice really doesn't fit for me. That is not even close to what I pictures his voice to be but it's not objectively bad I guess so it's not a problem just kind of a "wait what?" moment.

But anyway @Supernatural-Knight I can't do anything about the animation (I think it's fine but I know how particular you can be about animation) but as far as the pacing goes the manga started out this way to. The entire first chapter introduced Kagami, put him in his teacher job, and had him fix that student's problem. I guess the author wanted to show off the main character and the basic premise of the manga all in one shot to help gather attention. For a manga this is fine since you can just make an extra long chapter to fit in the extra scenes but for anime it means either making whole extra episodes or cutting/condensing content. In this case it seems they wanted to be faithful but also not waste time so they sqeezed as much in as they could But they still glaze over things just a little to fit it all into one episode. The Next episode will likely cover chapters 2 & 3 in order to get to Kagami's next school and then each episode after that will probably cover each individual student. Unless they also try to cram the next student into the second episode as well. But they should still feel a bit less rushed as they will start adapting several chapters into one episode (meaning more minor details they can simply cut) instead of one massive chapter that could have been several. But it kind of depends on just how much they want to cram in and if this is 12 or 24 episodes.

So in summary just think of this episode as an introduction of the idea of the show and a gimps at the MC. The rest of the episodes "should" slow down a bit. But you have to admit psyching out the bullies like that with the phone thing was pretty cool even if the anime kind of sped through it. Again it seems they wanted to fit the entire first chapter which was pretty long into one episode so it seems like they just kind of rushed through everything a bit which isn't bad but they really should have taken that scene just a little more slowly to let the atmosphere sink in. Try reading the first chapter just to kind of see what I mean http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Denpa-Kyoushi/Ch-002--The-Rules-of-Society?id=99203.

So putting asside the issue of possible pacing issues for now what did you actually think of Kagami? Because this was only the start he comes up with some really interesting schemes to fix his students problems later on.

EDIT: okay just took a look back at the episode preview..... who is that? Either there is some extra material I missed or the anime decided to actually add a completely original episode to extend Kagami's time at his first school. Which might be a good thing because they really threw away the first school pretty fast in the manga like it only existed to serve as a setting for the first chapter. So yeah next episode is surpisingly going to be a new experience for me.

#4 Metazoxan, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  5. Natsu Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    My impression on the first episode: Interesting

6. ShadowLinks Hero of Time

Ratings:
    +57 / 1 / -0
    Fancy episode title card, lol. Lets see here, no real complaints on the voice acting, not that i normally ever have any. The deadpan in Kagami's voice is rather fitting, given my first impression of the character. I'd agree that the pacing is fast, but I don't really have any issue with it. I have more issues with slow starters. I can see what you mean by the animation and art being off. It literally sometimes looks like an old game being displayed in 256 or 16 bit color instead of true color. So far i'm interested.

7. ShadowLinks Hero of Time

Ratings:
    +57 / 1 / -0
  8. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Kamiya Hiroshi is a good voice actor so I think it is more that the casting people failed than he is. He is the voice of Zetsubou Sensei so he can fit the teacher role that has to freak out and act bad arse at times. That being said I agree with you @Metazoxan he doesn't quite seem to fit this one. Out of curiosity who did you picture Kagami being voiced by?
    Speaking of VAs I don't think there have been too many good choices so far. Kagami's sister esp, for being voiced by an idol her voice is horrible for this character.

I can be a fan of almost any kind of animation but for something from A-1 it feels like they gave up with this show. So much less detail is put into this show, which could get away with it since it is a comedy, but it feels like they have slacked too much. When you look at what else they are credited with you del ripped off with this kind of animation. Courtesy of ep two this background perfectly displays what I mean
    [​IMG]
    We could draw better background characters than that....

As for pacing I still feel that the first episode went by quickly but it is passable if the manga permits it. Considering you said they glazed over small details I guess it is fine but it still felt awfully rushed. GTO essentially did the same thing with helping his first student pretty quickly in one ep but it felt more natural instead of rushed.
    If it starts to slow down then good because fixing every problem in a single episode makes it episodic and leaves less room for developing the characters.

My thoughts for Kagami, he seems pretty lazy [yay a relatable character] but apart from trying to act cool he hasn't done enough for me to have an opinion of him yet. It takes a few episodes for me to like a character.

Now to wait on your thoughts for ep 2 because mine aren't that great....

9. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    You should know I don't know a damn thing about voice actors. I'm bad with names so even if I recognize a voice I can only connect it to other characters I can't remember the name of the voice behind it. I can try to describe it though. I pictured a bit more of a youthful and higher pitch. Not to the point of being a girl just just something to make his seem younger and more energetic.

Also Suzune's voice actor is an idol? Why am I remembering that scene from SHIROBAKO with the 3 idiots and the one guy who wanted to force big names and idols into all the roles no matter how ill fitting they were just because the names would help carry the show? Not sure if that is the actual case but this situation feels rather familiar.
    he seems a bit more lazy in the anime because they stretched out his "I wanna quit teaching for my blog" out a tad more than the manga did. Because again this glasses girl from this episode is anime original and seems to be there just to give him something to do at this school for one more episode before they move on to the one most of the manga so far covers. Also they completely changed a few scenes from the manga.

In the manga the shoplifter was a different character who becomes rather important later on (the white haired one watching from the laptop originally was the shop lister herself and her reason for doing so was testing kagami not because she actually needed or wanted to steal). it's rather odd that they swapped her out for an anime original character for this but besides the character changing and her side of the dialouge changing a little the scene was pretty much the same. But what I'm a bit unhappy about is that they changed the reason he was fired to a molestation scandle but in the original it was because the official replacement for the other teacher showed up early (it seems he was just a temp fill in) and his speech at the end was because Mr. Official teacher was giving a speech about how you have to obey the rules of society or you're worthless. So it has a lot more impact in the manga because Kagami was originally going to give a normal farewell speech but changed his mind because he didn't want the kids to grow up thinking they had to just shut up and obey the rules like the other guy was saying. While the anime changed the cause of the speech to just because he wanted to and just shot it in a less epic way (I guess this part is probably due to the subpar animation you were talking about). They even had to make Kagami say the "rules are absolute" part of the speech as a joke himself because they cut out the other guy but because it was just said as a joke his follow up feels less meaningful. Read the first two chapters to see what I mean.

Also if she confessed the truth why did he still have to quit? Did he just choose to leave anyway? Again that changes the impact of the scene since he's not being forced to quit (although even in the manga he wasn't exactly upset about quitting at this point) because of an uptight official teacher.

I don't mind changes if they serve a real purpose but I feel these were pointless changes that kind of ruined the scene. So far they've basically adapted 2 chapters over 2 episodes which is really odd for an anime and I'm not sure why they had to add an anime original character just to stretch out chapter 2 to a full episode length. On the bright side the changes they made won't have an impact on future chapters since the important details and end result are all the same. But it still wasted the scene. I don't normally notice things like voice actors not fitting or animation not having enough impact Other people complain but even if I also read the manga it normally looks fine to me. So either I'm becoming more sensitive to these things or this was just such a bad adaption of that scene that even I noticed it.

On the bright side the pacing was less rushed this episode so it seems the rushed first episode was due to the manga. I'm still not ready to judge this adaptation as a whole yet. I'll wait until Kagami actually gets to Ichou Academy since that is where the plot really starts.

Also why does anime Kagami now have a "time to start the lecture" catchphrase? I don't have a problem with it but why did he need a catchphrase?

10. ShadowLinks Hero of Time

Ratings:
    +57 / 1 / -0
    Ignorance is bliss it seems judging from your post. Now by no means is this anime hooking me yet, but I still have no reason to dislike it, although the GTO parallel is suspicious.

11. obdriver6 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    ok so 2 episodes later and all I can think is "meh". I was really looking forward to this anime but so far it hasn't given me anything too great but that doesn't mean its a let down. We'll see how it plays out in the next couple episode.

@Supernatural-Knight I have to agree with you on the quality of the anime. At first, I thought there was some thing wrong with Funimation but that wasn't the case

@Metazoxan I know I've said this before but I might have to read the manga if the anime turns out to be not so great

12. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Yeah I know but I thought with an example you might possibly remember who he is, he is the voice behind the monogatari franchise's Araragi.
    http://myanimelist.net/people/118/Hiroshi_Kamiya
    Hmm a higher pitch, what about a voice more like Shinra from Durarara?
    http://myanimelist.net/people/86/Jun_Fukuyama

Haha that'd be only too fitting, that is why you are remembering it now. I wonder if this is the case, but who knows. MAL's info says she is an idol so that was why I said it
    http://myanimelist.net/people/37082/Rena_Matsui
    Does Suzune play an important part in this series often or just every other chapter? Im hoping she slowly disappears because I really don't like her.

Ah so his laziness is drawn out, that makes sense. I didn't think it'd seem that drastic especially only being episode 2 but oh well. I can't understand why they would throw in anime only content already. There are what, 150 chapters scanlated or something? Why is such drastic changes needed?
    Being fired for molesting someone isn't something that employers will just ignore, having the teacher return makes much more sense because that is completely out of his power. To think that Kagami is now has an ominous record and will work in yet another school.
    His speech didn't seem nearly inspirational enough, even without reading the source I could tell something was wrong. Being fired over molesting someone and then using that to talk about how you have to break the rules some times? It made no sense. Pointless changes are pointless.

I want to say the scene was adapted really badly that you noticed. I remember you using this scene to get votes in Sensei September and it sounded like a much stronger scene how it was done originally. Due to animation and original material my hopes for the show are now even lower than before.
    All anime characters need a catchphrase? Who knows, they added something else beyond what they changed already. I wonder what the creator thinks about these changes?

@obdriver6 Haha thinking there was something wrong with funi, well I can't blame you for that. For A-1 it does seem to be subpar level animation. Maybe the killed their budget on other anime and figured they could get away with it on a comedy series. I hope this show gets better but things currently don't look too good.

13. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Do you mean his dubbed or subbed actor?
    She's around but she doesn't play a super important part until this one point. I think she gets a little more likeable later on she just seems so in your face now because Kagami is still basically a NEET and she's trying to force him out of that. Still even if you don't like her it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Most of the time the manga focuses on Kagami and whichever student he's helping at the time and to a lesser degree any students he uses to help him.
    Well there are 150 chapters but they only just finished a Gigantic arc. So I'm guessing they want season 1 to end at some point before then. But the have taken 2 episodes just to get to the new school which feels like a bit much considering that puts the chapter to episode ratio at 1:1 at the moment.
    Well to be fair the person hiring him was watching the whole thing so at least it makes sense how he even got hired. The person hiring him knows what is up. Although I have to say this makes her look like a real bitch getting him actually fired over a scandal. In the manga she did accuse him of being a pervert but just within the store and it was just to test his reaction. But here she actually forces a scandal on him which seems a lot more extreme.
    Exactly because again in the manga he made his speech in response to the new teacher. After the new teacher came they had an assembly to say goodbye to kagami and welcome the new teacher. The new teacher gave a speech about how you must follow the rules of society and those that don't are trash. So he gets up, shreads the paper that had his original speech and starts typing on his computer while giving his speech about not being bound to rules. So it felt like he just couldn't bear to listen to this guy telling these kids to just be sheep and not only improves a whole speech but programs a new game weapon on the spot. That plus the artists atyle gave the scene much more impact.

In fact that is the other thing while I don't think the art style is horrible it's lost a quality the artists style had that helped project emotion. There were various panels where I could just tell what they were feeling by looking at the atmosphere and the anime seems to be lacking that so far.

It's really a shame because I love the manga and I don't want to be unfair to the anime just for not meeting my expectations but even speaking objectively while changing material is fine crutial scenes like that should be left alone since that big speech kind of represented him whole philosophy. Kagami is all about being unconventional and ignoring rules for the sake of making life more interesting and doing what he believes in no matter what anyone says. So he gave that speech and likes being a teacher because he wants the students to pursue their dreams no matter what rules or people say. Also while I don't expect the animation to perfectly reflect the manga it doesn't feel like they are even trying to project emotion the way the manga did at times. I'm not saying the manga was artistic genius or always displayed complex emotions. During normal scenes the style was pretty normal but serious scenes at least tried to make the atmosphere fit the mood.

On another note has anyone seen Punchline? It's as stupid as I thought it would be and in a good way. Just to give you an idea of what I mean in the first episode there is a heroine who fights with a giant bendy straw......Yes a giant bendy straw.

14. Natsu Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Hahaha, that comment made me remember those guys, but yeah, I did a little research on her and she is (or was) a member of SKE48 and Nogizaka46 and her role as Suzune in the anime is her first one, but there's no other future roles since well the spring anime just begun and there's no telling if she'll continue with voice acting or not but are guaranteed to hear her again, who knows

15. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    That really does sound suspiciously like she was given the role just to attach a name to the cast list. or at the very least she threw her weight to get the role instead of earning it fairly. especially considering how ill-fitting she is.

16. Natsu Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    You know, I'm always surprised as to the many things rich girls do, they have a lot of freaking cameras and men in black around a certain area, yet they couldn't catch an otaku kid that only does what he wants but her sister did, how does that work?

17. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    @Metazoxan
    The subbed on of course, we are watching this subbed so there is only one option. If it helps that VA I lined is the voice of Koro sensei as well [I forgot], do you think he’d suit Kagami more?

Damn so Suzune keeps making reappearances and even becomes important later on, this is not the news I wanted ti hear. The issue with Suzune is that due to her VA she is really unlikable so any screen time for her is painful for me.
    A ratio of 1:1 with filler for the anime already…… I’m not sure how this is going to turn out but surely it can’t be too good.
    I have an issue with a student hiring a teacher with absolutely no questions asked by the existing faculty even though she is the daughter of one of the bigwigs. So apart from her seeming like more of a bitch she also would have given Kagami a criminal record [the principal of the old school should have reported him before the assembly].

The manga sounds so much better than this adaptation. What a way to ruin a decent sounding show right at the very start.
    The animation is horrible, it is all I see people mentioning in the discussion threads on MAL, but I thought that the manga was better drawn when I was scrolling through the chapter you linked instead of any of these eps.

All these inconsistencies with the animation is annoying me too, esp when they are focusing on a characters face. There were times when his eyes weren't even aligned and it annoyed the hell out of me.

@Natsu that chase scene was ridiculous but that was to be expected from a shounen. And of course his sister was the one to find him. Needless to say I'm not impressed by this series at all yet, doubt I really will be now....

18. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    She isn't a student. Despite her age she is the legit chairman. But yeah in the manga not only did she participate in the "molester test" herself instead of spying like a creeper she only took it far enough to test his reaction. She didn't wreck his career in order to get him fired to hire him at her school.

Yeah the manga is better drawn. Just look at the scene where kamagi does the "I leaked your info online" to the bullies or his big speach in chapter 2 and tell me those don't give more impact with the way they are drawn compared to the anime where they all just kind of stand there during the scenes. and as for the eye thing even I noticed it!
    [​IMG]
    I mean good lord I'm not one to notice things like this normally so if even I'm catching the animation mistakes you know someone has effed up. How do you mess up THIS badly with animation? We're three episodes in and everything is falling apart!

As for episode 3 I see even more anime original content and once again the anime original content makes the characters look worse. In the manga after Kagami got home from "options" offering him a job a dark skinned woman came to offer him a research job in geneva to work with the worlds top scientists. He didn't run off forcing them to chase him down by helicopter, options didn't have agents scattered throughout town searching for him, and he never said going to Akihabara was more important than teaching! What really sucks is that in this chapter the black woman said "magical girls and transformations can't be real" and Kagami walked off angrily and came back a few minutes later with a stack of papers explaining why magical girls and transformations are physically possible and what little science words he says out loud actually sort of make sense. But they completely wrote the scientist and her offer out of the story for no reason (You can see her in the poster though so maybe they write her back in later? But if that is the case why nor introduce her when the manga does?)! It really helped show how despite how eccentric he is he knows what he is talking about. Like this guy could be the world's top scientist if he was just motivated to do so. Plus it was simply an amusing scene. Much better than watching a bunch of generic agents chasing him around Akihabara for no real reason (it's not like they had to chase him he had to go home eventually). Also how was this another test from her? How does evading police and hacking their computers make him useful for the teaching position?

You see here is the thing about kagami. He's an Otaku but he's a damn brilliant one and when he gets serious he gets pretty damn serious and while he may seem irresponsible at times in the end he makes sure everything works out. This anime is making him out to be a lazy good for nothing Otaku who has a few tricks up his sleeve. Seriously in this episode he goes so far as to passionately refuse the position saying his blog is more important than helping people or anything else! Manga Kagami did say he wasn't exactly interested in the position because being a teacher meant less time for his blog but that is as far as he went with it and it was just one line. He said nothing about the blog being more important than helping people just that working in general took time away from his hobbies. The anime has him rant about it at least three times and each time he also adds in that nothing and no one else matters so it comes across as far more selfish.

The ONLY thing they got right was the last few minutes of the episode with the exchange they had in front of the school gate.

Seriously what the hell is the point of adding an episode long chase scene (So yeah BTW regarding the "expected of shonen" comment this nonsense wasn't even in the manga) that ends up meaning nothing in the end! What was the point of this episode besides wasting time! I'll say this again I don't mind adaptation changes especially since I've already read the manga and thus changes make it a new experience. BUT ALL OF THESE CHANGES SUCK! They make events make less sense and are more boring than in the original. I'm just speechless. I've seen a LOT of anime in my time and you rarely see an adaptation mess up THIS much. Some make dumb changes and some has poor animation and some even have poor voices. But to have all three and have them all show so much within the first few episodes is just shockingly bad.

Please everyone if you aren't enjoying this anime, which I don't blame you, please don't judge the manga based on this. Especially with this recent episode where no more than 10% of the episode came from the manga.

#18 Metazoxan, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  19. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Okay now for episode 4. It's better. Now that they are getting past what is basically the prologue for the series they seem to be following the manga better although they are still doing things like adding his new catchphrase. Also the animation still feels like it's failing to project the same atmosphere the manga did. Like when she says "dont underestimate me" in the manga it looked like this
    [​IMG]
    Now look at that vs the anime where she just stands there looking at the audience with a somewhat serious but mostly blank face. See the difference? Also besides the way they shoot the scenes the characters faces in the anime don't seem to show a lot of emotion.

But at the very least they are at least trying to follow the manga unlike the first three episodes. Although interestingly enough of the few changes they made they actually made a good addition this episode. In the manga after twins tails did the drawing on the omelette thing it was immediately followed by Kagami saying "good job" and her saying "it's still no good because of society". But in the anime there is the addition of a scene with the manager showing the ability to change her approach for each customer as well as him actually telling her off thinking she did a good job with the omelette because everyone can do that much. They also showed them off working a lot more than the manga did which worked out well in this case.

Because unlike the previous episodes the changes they made simply extended existing manga scenes or were fit in between scenes. The first three episodes basically rewrote scenes completely and did so poorly. But if they stick with this "adding not changing" method the anime may actually turn out okay in the end. But one good episode doesn't mean much. So I'll need to wait to see if they can keep this up from this point on.

20. Natsu Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    You know I was curious about something, so I did a little search about Denpa Kyoushi and the manga, like other manga, had either a Drama CD or a Vomic, the former in this case, and I checked the cast and it was completely different from the anime, there are 5 characters in this case that had a different voice actor, but for now I'll leave 3 that appeared in the anime
    Junichirou Kagami Voiced by: Daisuke Ono (Drama CD), Hiroshi Kamiya (anime)
    Suzune Kagami Voiced by: Kana Asumi (Drama CD), Rena Matsui (anime)
    Makina Momozono Voiced by: Yōko Hikasa (Drama CD), Saori Ōnishi (anime)