Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Death Parade

Discussion in 'SOS Brigade (Clubs)' started by Supernatural-Knight, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Death Parade

[​IMG]

"Welcome to Queen Dekim." What greets two unsuspecting guests is a strange bar, Queen Dekim, and the white-haired bartender, Dekim. "From here you two shall begin a battle where your lives hang in the balance," he says to introduce the Death Game. Before long the guests' true natures become apparent. As a matter of course, at the game's end Dekim is revealed to be the "arbiter." Dekim's judgement on the two guests is...​

Now I know this bio doesn't sound like much but based upon that one off OVA that came out the other year I have high expectations for this series. It should openly display emotions at the lowest points in peoples lives, and if it does it as well as the OVA then this will be a pretty intriguing series.
    Not long until it airs now.

2. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Well I watched the first episode of this today and it started really strongly. Not as good as the OVA I must admit but it did a great job of reiterating what the world is about and essentially promising to build upon what limited info we do already know.
    @VeritasOdiumParit I hope you plan on watching this because straight from episode one's get go the psychological aspect is strong. I'm sure you'll be intrigued by it.

3. VeritasOdiumParit Cult of Personality

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    This was the anime you were talking about on Skype? It does interest me. I presume Decim is the name of the bar tender and not Latin for anything? (Google returns nothing but Maths). I shall check it out this evening (GMT). So I will let you know what I think of it soon enough...

4. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    @VeritasOdiumParit yep this is the one, it aired today and I think it was completely worth the wait. Quindecim is listed as the bartender's name not the bar itself on MAL, although I thought Decim was the bartenders name and Quindecim being the bar. I'm not too sure, I may have to rewatch the episode again for a few reasons. If it does mean something in Latin I have no clue.

5. obdriver6 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    From what I got form the episode, Quindecim is the name of the bar and Decim is the name of the bartender. I also may have to rewatch it

The first episode seemed pretty good. Its interesting that they would pin couples against each other, I wonder if its always going to be like that or at least people that know each other? I did really enjoyed the psychological atmosphere of the anime. What I want to know is why did the girl go to the void while the guy got reincarnated, didn't she win the game?

6. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    At least someone agrees with me, and after checking I see that MAL has changed his name to Decim so I guess we were right.

This series will rely on pinning two people against one another to judge them. But to answer your curiosity the episode said that they don't have to know one another but instead are just two people that died at the same time. If you watch the OVA [Death Billiards] it has two completely unrelated people in it, and curiously enough it seems like it takes place at a later point in the series than where we started.

I was reading some of the posts on MAL and they don't help because you really can come to multiple conclusions about this. My interpretation is that the game is to bring out the worst in people because who likes getting hurt?as they experience pain and realise something is going on they obviously don't want to lose and feel even more pain. So my way of viewing this is that the game itself is a scam because its result means nothing as Decim is the arbiter that decides based upon their actions and their life.

Now this is where things get a bit harder, was the woman actually pregnant? Did she really cheat on him or was she making it up? I've read multiple interpretations about these as well so I am confused about what I think, so I am curious as to what you think.

7. ReiAyanamies Guro Queen.

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I quite enjoyed this first episode. It kept my attention, possibly for the fact that they threw a pretty good twist in at what seemed to be a good point in time.

I have to say, just seeing the way the darts game played out was interesting. I mean the fact that their organs and such were connected to the dart board itself was one thing I didn't expect.

Kind of hoping they put people other than romantic couples into the mix. It'd be interesting to see siblings or other family members bicker and argue about how their point of view on the situation(s) that happen play out like the first couple. (Here's to secretly hoping for a parent/child pair)

Most likely because she lied about everything and his intentions were pure. From the overall background information, he was the observer or victim, rather.
    She, on the other hand was horrible to him. I mean, after her husband finally spoke up about his fears of her having an affair, she lied and said it wasn't true. Then later on she had a complete 180 in attitude when she flat out (and quite happily) announced she only wanted his money, the child wasn't his, and there was a man on the side who was coincidentally the baby's father.

Winning the game or not, her true side was shown. And speaking of which, I honestly think that's the point of the games. To see who is telling the truth and showing their true side.

8. obdriver6 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    ok but I feel like there's got to be a few more requirements than just dying at the same time

Yeah, I noticed that too. As soon as she "confessed", Decim focused on here

Somehow, I feel like that actually going to happen

At first glance it looks that way but from what SK said and this is what I though too, was she really telling the truth or was she making it up? Maybe she figured out the game at the end and wanted to protect her husband by making that lie. If I recall, they never showed if she was actually cheating. She was just acting suspicious. I can't really say what the actually purpose of the game is (since its only been one episode) but I thinks it more than just that......... but at the same time, I might be over thinking it.

9. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    I just watched the OVA Death Billiard and after that the first episode of Death Parade. Man did i enjoy 50 minutes of this. This is as psychological as it gets. The true (ugly) side of mankind is shown when they are pressed against the wall called death. For the ones who haven't yet, check out Death Billiard before the next episode airs, you will know abit more about the possible pairings as there are 2 complete strangers who just happened to die at the same time paired.

Most of the things i could answer have already been said. Any pairing could happen, as long as they die at the same time and probably the other requirement is they have to be from Japan. Those are the only requirements i can think of.

There's only been one episode so far so we don't know much about Decim yet, but can he, or can he not see the true nature of people without this game? Does he let them play a game of whatever to drag out their true nature, or does he just enjoy letting people play these games?
    I loved how the game was darts, before the episode i was hoping for darts and it actually happened.

About the couple, it's hard to tell whether or not she was lying. She made such a sudden 180 turn of personality, the started laughing, but right before she did, her expression didn't seem like a smile. More like she was about to do the hardest thing she's ever done.

@Supernatural-Knight , i'm curious what makes you think Death Billiard is later in the story?

10. sayWut Head Market Research Analyst

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    Ok first ep, first of all I love the OP, its so lively!! and up beat! " Everybody put your hands up"
    The begging of the show pretty much grabbed my attention straight away , since it more doves into mystery. I mean already this couple are trying to escape, then boom body's, suddenly there daces drop, and this has just gotten serious. Anyway, so there plying darts with others organs, that an interestingly sick game, so you instead of a 21 point on a dart board it could be someones lungs.!! finally a serious psychological anime! . Im not sure how it works though, maybe this is all psychological , aka in there heads, however we soon find out hes a medical professional.

Anyway that sudden twist, at fist I thought it could be in there drinks, or a gas that's inflicting this odd pain, but then it comes to light that there actually dead, in a place that's heaven nor hell. Im not sure what the aim of this game is, i dont know if its aimed to delivrly let the couplle / players tp start hating each other, as im sure that woman doesn't really hate her husband, regardless of whats happened. hence why this is psychological, i have inkling that its aimed for everyone to start hating each other, getting that misconception of information and feed from it.

Anyway, it was a brilliant epsisode, it got straight to it, the artwork is good, and the facial expressions really add to it, could this be an emotional psychological rolla coaster of lies and deciet!

I have a feeling shes faking it, maybe for the better, as i think she truely does love him, but at this point in the game anythings possible. I also think that maybe the winner of the game may return to life as a human

11. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    No, the women won and the guy lost, but he got to be reanimated, while she was send to hell. So it should be just about how they act while in there.

12. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    Now I have the first episode downloaded but I have a question...

Do I have to watch Death Billards to understand this?

13. sayWut Head Market Research Analyst

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    Ahh, well i guess this makes much more sense now!

I didn't know there was a movie of this, ill assume no, as i looked on mal and the alternative version is the anime series. It reminds me of black rock shooter, as you have the movie then the TV series and you can pick either to watch. But im not sure...

14. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    No. I watched Death Billiards first, but it doesn't really make any difference. They introduce the same main characters at the same timing, and the same is being said to explain the rules of the game. Just a different game is played and different people in a different scenario. It's like Wut says, you can pick either to watch first. Do watch both though, both are pretty good.

15. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    @Batosai apart from the 2nd episode saying exactly why the OVA was later, the first episode didn't even have the woman in it. Then the after credit scene she appeared and seemed sad and kind of confused about the whole thing. Meanwhile Death Billiards she was working with Decim and followed the whole game along by his side. So due to lack of screen time and her confusion in the end I thought there was no way that the OVA happened before the first episode.

Also since the second episode has aired it is a bit late to be responding to some of the insinuations about the first episode considering the unique nature of the new episode. It was a great episode and old us exactly what the hell happened and why things turned out the way they did.
    So my question is after watching episode 2, what do you think about the woman being sent to the void and the man for reincarnation?

16. ReiAyanamies Guro Queen.

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    That's a tough one. After seeing it play out in a different point of view, it kind of makes you think about things. Especially after the assistant tried defending Machiko for her actions, pointing out key things in her attitude when she was admitting to the horrible things she supposedly did. Then, later on hearing that her husband was one who couldn't trust anyone just makes you think more.
    But to be completely honest, I don't know what I think now. I guess it all boils down to personal opinion on that factor, such as in this case, what is worse? Sleeping with someone else while you're engaged/married OR being unable to really fully trust anyone your whole life? Even then, many more what ifs are able to be thrown in there. Was it a one night stand? Ect. You're walking on eggshells with that.
    The introduction of the assistant hopefully eases the burden of having the arbiters make that choice on their own while she offers up her own opinion based on what she saw play out in front of her since she doesn't get the memories of the deceased before they arrive.

17. obdriver6 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Damn, I was not expecting that from the second episode. It answered most of the questions I had. So apparently the game counts for squat since the arbiters are the ones making the decision

I'm with @Stereoanlange. It's a tough choice of between the two but if it was me making the decision, I would have sent the girl to get reincarnated and the guy to the void. Looking at the memories alone the guy did have trust issues which isn't as bad as cheating but at the same time his trust is what killed them both. Also, the fact that she lied to him to protect him is all I need to make my decision.

18. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    But if you were in Decim's position, he learned that she lied after he send her to the void, so you wouldn't have known that while making the decission.

I'm not sure if Decim made the right decission, but i'm guessing this is one of his first cases and he judged solely on their reaction during the game, not on their past.

I did get it right though :D
    @Supernatural-Knight , you were right. How did i not notice the women wasn't there in the 1st ep?

The other girl is a pretty interesting character though. The white haired one. She seems like she's in charge of everything, or atleast in a much higher position than Decim.

Ep 3 should air today, i was kinda late with watching ep 2. Hopefully i can watch this ep sooner.

19. obdriver6 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Thats for sure but I picked up on her act form the first episode. The assistant further assured me on my decision and thats why she is there

20. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    I thought that was bullshit and Decim made a huge mistake.
    I knew she was faking it and it's pretty damn obvious she was doing it just to piss him off.
    The guy was an asshole and couldn't trust anyone.

But do the games play out in reverse, so when you lose you are deemed not guilty and are reincarnated, and if you win, you're guilty and you go to the void?

Also this is the first anime I've seen where Rumi Okubo is not playing a pink haired lesbian.