Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Death Note: Pick A Side

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by BaconMan8910, Nov 16, 2013.

1. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    So in Death Note the characters actions and Light's role as an antagonist or protagonist  is really up to interpretation.  Most of the anime is a battle between him and L.

One of my favorite things about the anime is that so much of determining who is good or evil is left up to the viewer to decide.

So who, if anyone, were you rooting for?  While I don't entirely agree with Light, I can certainly understand some of his ideals (ridding the world of evil, not the whole becoming a  god thing) but L is also correct in many of his beliefs as well.  I loved both characters but, ultimately, wanted Kira (Light) to succeed.  If only because I wanted to see how things would turn out.

2. Shogun13 Lord of the Dance

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I wanted L to win because he was supported by a Deontological system as opposed to the Nietzschean system that supported Kira. Your motivation fits into the latter quite well.

Basically Deontology as developed by Kant requires that you treat all people as ends not as means. The Nietzchean system says that one individual often is responsible for the law's creation (conquerors, particularly charismatic prophets, tyrants) and that can be true even in modern times.

3. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    I loved both characters, but I was on the Light's side. I find him as anti hero character who sacrificed himself in a way for a better world.

Not sure if there's protagonist and antagonist in the series in the first place... we are watching from Light's point of view, so it kinda makes L look like antagonist, but when you consider that Light is the one killing and L is trying to stop him, you could say it's the opposite then. I suppose it depends who you are rooting for or be like me and say that both of them were protagonists just with their own ideals.

4. shane_dalvin Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I loved both characters as well. I feel like Light started out with all the right intentions and eventually lost himself along the way and got a little too out of control. Drunk with power and all that.

5. Lince Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    I wanted Light to fuck everyone up, cause entertainment. I kinda just threw out the moral stuff and thought about what would be cooler to watch, since this isn't actually happening.

6. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Huh, somehow don't have a post in this thread.

Going to have to admit I wanted to see Light get defeated in the end. I already got my wish following the "stuff" with L.
    I then got a new wish and was not disappointed. Surprised at the rather poor transition to Near but just accepted he was supposed to be an unlikable weirdo.
    Ha, can you ask for a more humiliating ending? Didn't see it coming like that, but thought it was perfectly fitting in the grand scheme.

It's one of those anime that you don't watch for the ending (despite it being a crucial point). You watch it for all the meat in the middle.

7. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    Death Note was actually hard to pick a side because L and Kira seemed like great characters. At first, light seemed like a hero by making a world a better place but when he was starting to go for anyone who would get in his way, my opinion started to change and I started to take L's side.

8. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    For me it came down to one factor being that
    Didn't give up half his remaining lifespan for the eyes. With that power he could have quickly changed the world for the better in a much shorter period of time. Sure he started out saying it was for a noble or good cause, but he took presidence over his own life vs a better life for everyone. Still that isn't something everyone can easily do when understanding the price you have to pay.

After that I viewed L's side more openly. He was able to rally a team of men who all shared the same passion he did to capture Kira. Even faced with the potential threat of possible death he pursued the task and did everything in his power to find an put a end to the killings. His strong belief in justice & repentance for ones sins as well as leaving
    A legacy behind for his predecessor N says a lot about him
    So that's my logic for why I sided with L instead of Light.

9. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    I guess if light was the world's true saviour or 'God' as he persisted he was, he would have gladly given up half his remaining life span and not go around killing all those people who got in his way. (AND USE MISA AMANE! THAT JERK:mad:)

• Like Like x 1
  10. AJ Senpai Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I never have watched the anime of death note, I read the manga. So I suppose I could watch it!

11. AJ Senpai Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Lol

12. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    Don't you agree?