Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

D. Gray-man: 3rd exorcists and Noah [spoilers]

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by Shogun13, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Shogun13 Lord of the Dance

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Everyone can feel free to disagree with me, but the manga for this series took a nosedive after the parts that the anime covered. Specifically the 3rd exorcists arc. It had a rather straight dynamic until that point (good exorcists vs bad akuma and people who control them) with just enough of an inversion with Allen's dual nature to make it interesting. Then this arc came along and made a ton of problems, so that now I don't root for anyone because the exorcists are full of people like Hitler mustache guy and Apocryphos. This was worse when the 3rd exorcists were still there because obviously, it's the quincy problem all over again. However even with their faceheel turn, I still feel like Allen is the only character I can now trust. This is after they spent something like 200 chapters fleshing out the rest of the cast on one side. If he learns the backstories of the Noah and their motivations and goals, then it'll seem like it had grandiose goals that it could not deliver on because of a shoddy reasoning for him leaving in the first place (that being Hitler and Apocryphos), but as it stands now, it just feels like a mess. It feels like both sides are evil in a way that whoever wins, nobody will be better off. Akuma win, hope you like being powder, exorcists win, hope that you like living in a secretly morally bankrupt society.
    Some might explain this away as them attempting to make a mature setting, where nobody is the cartoonishly good guys. However that could have been done with one of the above problems. Either have Hitler and his 3rd exorcists to denote how there are extreme factions within the system or have Apocryphos to indicate that there are rogue agents within the innocence themselves. Because as it stands, it makes it seem like it's not unjust people using otherwise just means to achieve just ends or a loose cannon (which is what Hitler and Apocryphos are seperately and respectively), but instead an unjust society using unjust means to achieve it's goals at all costs. They're willing to turn people into weapons just like the Earl makes people into Akuma and their weapons aren't inherently good, using whatever means are necessary just like the Noah. Some might say that this is a brilliant stroke of postmodernism, making it so that the two sides are mirror images of each other, but it really isn't, because one side is clearly supposed to be in the right, and as of late, that just feels like a default mode.
    Discuss whether Shogun is crazy or not.
    Btw this is the person that I keep referring to as Hitler, because really, I can't believe they weren't drawing some inspiration in character drawing.