Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Clock Boy's family wants to sue for $15 Million and an apology from Texas

Discussion in 'The Asylum' started by Guts, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Guts Black Swordsman

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Everyone knows of the Arabic kid that had brought a homemade clock into school, subsequently got arrested and then got a bunch of free stuff because he plead racism, I won't say it was entirely called for but I will say recent developments are a little crazy ( in my own opinion)

In such, a 14 Year old child getting arrested for a teacher have suspicion and calling the cops. Now, I totally understand the family and even him wanting an apology, But, Shouldn't he suck it up a little bit; Microsoft sent him an entire care package of stuff for what he had went through (though still inexcusable for the whole racism thing) neither the family or him should be trying to have a civil suit for $15 million. I understand they're upset but it will cause a lot of harm Texas' economic status if they were to win (not convinced they would)

Some sort of funding would be cut if they were to actually get the $15 million dollars and it would likely come out of the schools already dwindling budget. regardless of the circumstances, The damage done will not be permanent, as everyone will probably forget about Ahmed Mohamed, Regardless of what other news outlets say. He is a 14 year old child, and his family using discrimination for that amount of money just seems ridiculous to me. (I want it to be noted I have mostly liberal ideas, but to get this amount of money because of 1 unfortunate event is just insane for me to think of, I would kill to get $15 million because people would call me fat in school and the teachers would do nothing about it.)

I hope my first post about anything news is at least halfway decent. I'll hopefully get better at this whole thing overtime.

I would like to hear your opinion on the issue of Ahmed Mohamed and his family wanting $15 Million for the "damages" Caused to this boy for being Arabic.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BK-201 The Black Reaper Moderator

Ratings:
    +124 / 1 / -0
    If it were a celebrity or high profile individual that was defamed they probably wouldn't hesitate to sue and most people would say it's their right so why should it be any different for anyone else? I'm not saying they are right to sue, in fact I hate the American and now growing here in Europe culture of suing for compensation, but if others can sue why shouldn't they?

The fact is he was singled out because of his race/background and discriminated against, if it was a child of white/European descent they would have been given the benefit of the doubt and therefore giving the family more of a right to sue. Additionally because of this event the whole family is likely to be affected and possibly forever seen with suspicious eyes in an ever growing hostile America towards Muslims and anyone who looks "Muslim".

• Like Like x 2
  3. Guts Black Swordsman

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    It is definitely a racial issue. But if you saw a side by side comparison of the clock he made and a briefcase bomb, it was possible that they deemed it suspicious (whether the teacher was ignorant or not.) the problem is since 9/11 security and even Americans being scared of the unknown it has escalated to a level where people feel obligated to make a judgment for the safety of everyone almost instantly.

The harsh reality is, Americans are on defense of anything that isn't a while American male, I was raised correct though. I think an apology is fine. As stated previously, but $15 million is just ridiculous to me. Regardless of the damages caused, I was bullied in school. I can't sue for $15 million for being bullied now can I, hell even the teachers would sometimes have a go at me. So when it comes down to it, no they don't deserve $15 million in my opinion. Only an apology

4. Miss Elegent Serenity Your loveable social admin & RP president Moderator Community Relations Content Manager

Ratings:
    +290 / 0 / -0
    Glad to see some news that's being typed up and not just Copy paste. I think it gets the audience more involved

5. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    15 million, over that? Sheeeeeesh. A bit too much. You have soldiers that kill and get killed, and will never get that much for their deeds.
    Maybe Stupid™ was on sale in the area that day.
    First, because of the panicking teachers with weak, easily frightened minds for their reaction. Maybe they honestly thought he was a little terrorist, or maybe they chose the wrong child to react on.
    Second, the parents demanded WAY too much. And for racism, too. Couldn't they have had that money used to reduce the amount of incidents like that? I start to wonder if that money will hurt the boy more than the teachers' mistaken thoughts (you know, grow up to be a non-beneficial snob). Couldn't these sort of incidents make a person stronger if toughed out?
    These days, it seems like rights and equality are pushed to the point of stupidity. People retaliate far too severely.

6. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    I honestly thought they planned all of this just as a way to get free publicity and stuff. Nowadays people sue for just about anything

To anyone who genuinely thinks this kid was making a clock, here's the picture of the clock:

[​IMG]

Now in what way does this resemble a clock?