Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Chaos Head

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by Doomguy, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    So what are your thoughts on this anime? I've noticed some people want to compare this to it's successor "Steins Gate". This is no Steins Gate, let's get that out of the way. Instead of dealing with the topic of time traveling it deals with reality and illusions.

What better character to talk about what is real or not then a person who lives as a hermit in a shipping container, has an imaginary wiefu, and has brief periods of erotic fantasies come to life.

Takumi is an unreliable main character. What I mean when I say that is that his strange condition makes it hard for him (and us) to understand what is going on in the world around him. There is a series of murders taking place in his city, and he's been somehow shoved into the middle of it.

I really like this show, even it the plot felt very rushed at the end I got the gist of it. I imagine some people can't stand Takumi but for whatever reasons his way of dealing with the world around him was amusing to watch.

2. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    I watched it originally because of two reasons:

1. The FUNimation booth at NYCC had it up and it piqued my interest
    2. The trailer seemed interesting

However, when I watched it, I just became more and more confused and even after researching it online it still didn't make sense. Someone told me that the visual novel is a lot better than the anime, so I'll probably give that a whirl. Same as S;G.

3. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I'm a huge MAGES/5pb fan, but I think their notorious "style" got in the way of this particular game/anime. I know you didn't want me to compare it to its sisters, but bare with me for a sec. In Steins;Gate, they bring up the popular notion of time travel and dismiss it and affirm it in various ways. To be fair, the only reason that one is more popular than its sisters is because that is a much more widely anticipated phenomenon, which I understand. Then there's another sister you may be familiar with Robotic;Notes, which basically only proves the inefficiency of investing in macro-mechanics. But they did bring up the integration of personality into an AI system which was also neat.

But in all honesty, Chaos;Head had the greatest potential for not only a controversial topic, but a very intellectually stimulating idea. However it wasn't this particular topic that caused the show (and even the game to some degree) to fall off greatly next to the others. I believe that fell with the way they chose to satire it. Since it was so controversial, MAGES thought it humorous to make it a conspiracy. Which would have been fine, since they did something similar in Steins;Gate, but since it was based on something that could never be proven, they styled it based off the main characters paranoia. And I think that's where they went wrong. They had such a bad theme to go off of, that it set them up for failure.

That, coupled with the disappointing character index, left the whole thing unappealing to most viewers. They had no real pull other than the compelling facts, the cool effects, and a main character who was only truly relatable to a true shut-in or a conspiracy theorist. For the general populous, I'm sure it just seemed like the confusing ramblings of the same paranoid bystanders that believe in aliens or the alike. To be honest it could have been geared better and people would have probably liked it better.

tl;dr: It had a good topic but taken at a bad angle. It had no redeeming characters to make up for it. Any "normal" person that watches wont really understand the comedy/irony of it.

I personally liked it, and I enjoyed watching it. It could have been better, as a whole, but it was interesting to think about. I can also see why it is so poorly received. It's still really low on my list of recommended anime, but fairly high in my personal favorites.

#3 Roy-Blue, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015