Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Building A new Computer

Discussion in 'Tech Temple' started by Timekeeper, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    Okay, so for months now, I've been planning on building a brand new gaming computer that will be able to play the majority of my games in Steam in high-quality, and for the most part, I've gathered up all the parts to assemble the PC. However, there's one crucial part of the PC I haven't decided upon due to the fact that it's probably the most important part of it because of how expensive it is: the graphics card

Here's a list of the parts that I've gathered so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/qhQ6XH

I'll also be importing a 1TB HDD and an optical drive from my old PC to cut down on some costs.

So back to the graphics card, I've had numerous people recommend me these graphics cards:

Nvidia GTX 970 (older model)
    Nvidia GTX 1060 (newer model, not yet released)
    Nvidia GTX 1070 (newer model, limited stock)

With the 1070, because of the limited stock, a lot of sellers are price gouging
    The 1060 hasn't been released yet and I think will be released later this month, ranging from $200-300
    And the 970 is bit older, ranging from $100-200

So what do you guys think? Any suggestions to change the list in any way? And what graphics card would you recommend?

2. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    If you wanted my serious recommendation I'd go with either a GTX 970 model or the GTX 980Ti which is around the same price as the GTX 1070 and gets roughly the same kind of performance. Still given that the 980Ti is a older model you may be better off investing in the 1070 that supports the newer agriculture. Now I don't know what Steam games you play so I can't gauge how much stress they'll place on these GPU's. Personally though for the price you could theoretically purchase two 970's and SLI them while at the same time bumping up your Powersupply to handle the additional wattage. Still considering that option I'd advise against it since 970's in SLI don't perform particular well and barley match a 980Ti or 1070 in means of performance. Also not all games out there support SLI.

Now having said all of these things my best recommendation if you want the best possible performance is to go with the GTX 1070 or the 980Ti. If you don't feel you need that sheer amount of performance then wait for the GTX 1060 vs getting either a GTX 980 or GTX 970 as they are a older model.

Now as far as things I would change would be your processor. This is just my own view point and stand on things but I'd switch to a Intel Core i7 6700 or 6700k. The reason being they use less wattage, have more L3 cache, have hyper-threading, and include cpu coolers.

#2 Vladnyx, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  3. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If your going to go with the 900 series, go with the 960. Someone I work with is really heavy into gaming and he went with a 960, tried the 970 and 980 and the 960 was his best in performance. The 970 does perform quite as well and the 980 is just wasted money for worse performance than even the 970. But if you're trying to "future proof" it for a while, get a 10 series. By the time I'm ready to buy a new graphics card, I'll probably get a 1080, if it's found to actually perform better than others in it's series.

4. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    Well I checked and the 1070 is already burning a hole in my pocket, with the entire PC costing around $1.2-1.3K

I've had a lot of people recommend the 1070 as a good graphics card and also tell me that the 1080 isn't really worth the extra mile. I don't need a graphics card that's above excellent, but I also would like a graphics card that isn't shittier than a Taco Bell septic tank

5. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    @Timekeeper
    I assume your not even looking at the new AMD cards or older ones?

Cause my R9 390 says Hello :)
    Its a little bit cheaper or now about same price than the 970 but so far so good I have no complaints with mine.

Also you could go with 2 480's but if your doing that you might as well get the 1070 cause I think 2 is about the same price as 1 1070...

I would say for the extra 250$ you will have to pay for the 1070 you get a more future proof card versus the 970......

Also we ask all these question without asking the obvious one..... what Monitor will you be using? Is the monitor 4K or simply 1080P?...

6. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    You're going to have a very nice computer for under a thousand. 1070 looks promising but I would wait until some reviews come out for it.
    The AMD card 480 is underrated. For only around 200$ you will get the very best of the last gen cards and that's not a bad thing at all.
    I check out the Techreport from time to time, they put out pretty good non biased reviews about computer parts. I know the group there is starved for new information about graphic cards.

Oh one more thing, don't pay too much extra for the Vram memory. It doesn't make enough of a difference to justify the frequent price jumps (sometimes it's like an extra 40$ and that's dumb)

7. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    I'll either hook it up to my 32" TV or, if I really wanted to, my 60" Vizio

8. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    Good question @Cpt_K3nny, forgot all about asking what kind of monitor may be using. If your not going for 4k I agree with Vashnik's statement of going with a GTX 960. The only reason you would want to go with the 10 Series would be for the future proofing which honestly I don't feel is needed if your just going for high quality gaming vs Ultra or 4k gaming. The GTX 960 should still be able to manage playing even future games in mid to high quality settings for some time before a upgrade in needed.

9. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The 960 is your best bet for cheap and excellent performance (better than the 970 and 980), while still keeping the feel as "high end" in comparison. Keep this in mind, the higher the series number doesn't necessarily equate to the best graphics card. My 750 Ti does pretty well playing Fallout 4. It's not on ultra, but it's not shitty looking either. It's mostly medium, with a few Ultra settings and some low settings. Though World of Warcraft has seen a few refresh lines a few times recently, suggesting nVidia made some driver changes to make my 750 Ti feel outdated and not work quite as great as it used to with World of Warcraft. But I haven't seen any issues with Fallout 4 just yet, so my graphics card hasn't been forced to go out of date yet and feel like a workstation Intel video card.

10. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    Does either of these screens supports 4k or only 1080P?

#10 Cpt_K3nny, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  11. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    A lot of people swear by the 970, and for good reason. The 980 is only marginally better and the 1070 and 1080 aren't really going to give you much, if any, improvement over the 900 series if you're only using the rig for gaming.

Like Vashnik said, the 960 is a great card, especially for the price, if you're not after 4k. I'm using an EVGA GTX 960 FTW 4GB and have been running everything from Fallout 4 to Overwatch on ultra. I love it.

Some people say, and there is data to suggest, that the 970 is a not insignificant improvement over the 960, but I've never tried a 970 to know for sure. Of course, your CPU and DDR3/4 will play into how much performance you can squeeze from your GPU. But, with regards to GPUs alone, I would definitely recommend a 960, from experience.

12. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    I've decided to go with the GTX 1070. It's a bit pricey, but I can certainly afford it if I budget myself for the next couple months