Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Anime that you didn't think you would like?

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by plantkingman, Apr 29, 2013.

1. plantkingman Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Is there a anime series or movie that you didn't think you'd like but found out it was actually very good?

2. Rift Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well what happened doesn't exactly match your question but I'd say Mysterious Girlfriend X was one that surprised me. I started it and thought, "what the heck?", but kept on watching. I couldn't stop. I wouldn't say I went in with any negative view of the show, but pretty early on, they make it clear that this isn't the average anime story you were expecting. I did find myself enjoying it, like a bad candy addiction...or was it sweet drool? In any case, it was good imo although quite weird.

3. Kori Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For me, I would have to say. Higurashi no Naku kori Ni, if I remember the name correctly. It's just one of those animes I came across using the "Random Anime" button. Surely enough, it captivated me in the first 10 seconds of the first episode. I sat there amazed, I clapped my hands and said "We have a winner" and watched it from then on only to like it even more.

4. RodRule Duct Tape is the answer to all life's questions.

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I was told by a friend that Darker than Black was the worst anime he had ever seen so it put me of from watching it for a couple of months even though I have only watched the first season I have never ever wanted to hit him more then I did when I finally watched it.

5. Uallandme Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    panty and stocking it looked child-ish to me (showing you cant judge a book by its cover) also its name suggested i was going into a show for girls or some H level stuff

6. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    I was told by a friend that Darker than Black was the worst anime he had ever seen so it put me of from watching it for a couple of months even though I have only watched the first season I have never ever wanted to hit him more then I did when I finally watched it.

Unbelievable that your friend doesnt like Darker than Black :|

For me its Naruto. I heard alot of responses from people that it was childish and bad. Turns out the story might be the best story i have ever seen. The only bad thing about it are the fillers.

7. crazydawg444 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Without a doubt Lucky Star and Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Lucky Star looked super stupid and girly, not to mention unexciting. But in the end, it captured my heart. Madoka just seemed like a weird magical girl with a cute animal friend with sunshine and rainbows and unicorns! Good lord was I off on that, now its my favorite!

8. RodRule Duct Tape is the answer to all life's questions.

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    For me its Naruto. I heard alot of responses from people that it was childish and bad. Turns out the story might be the best story i have ever seen. The only bad thing about it are the fillers.

I had the same thing with Naruto but it still was not as good for me as some other's.

9. Lunar Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would have to say Love Live! Because I was just expecting a cheery, everything-works-out-fine anime, which isn't the type of anime that I like, but when I decided that I should at least try it out I was surprised that I liked it.

10. Kusanagi Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hataraku Maou-sama seemed like it would be a generic harem, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's very funny and also interesting at times. There are some haremish aspects to it, but since the characters aren't one-dimensional, they're likable and enjoyable.

11. Kieron Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ouran High School Host Club. A while back, I had the urge to watch SOMETHING, but no idea what. Stumbled across that in suggestions somewhere on the web. Was a bit hesitant on seeing what it was about. Figured, what the hell, I'll give it a shot. Even as I'm watching the first episode, I'm thinking. "What the hell am I watching?" It's not really what I would normally go for. It really grew on me though. By the end, I can say I really quite enjoyed it, far more than I initially thought I would, as I was all ready to drop it. Some moments in it were quite funny as well.

Once again I am reminded to give things a fair shot.

12. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    I'm gonna say it.
    I'm gonna say it.

I thought I'd hate Saki, but it turned out to be pretty decent considering it's genre.
    Otherwise I wouldn't be using a Saki image right now and it would have flopped in the Eastern part of the world. (No seriously, apart from Strike Witches, Saki also helped saved Gonzo from running out of money.. even though they did declare bankruptcy later on)
    I'm not a fan of Mahjong, so despite people telling me that there's a lesbian in it, I wasn't going to touch it.
    However it was until someone told me there were superpowers in it that had me raise an eyebrow in curiousness.
    So I sat down and watched it, one episode when I can as that's how much my head could handle.
    Despite the amount of rage I had during the preliminaries, I really enjoyed it.

13. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    For me is was The Ambition of Oda Nobuna. The plot basically has a boy who likes history get transported into the past. Now just any past but during the time of Nobunaga which is his favorite time period. But one thing is different. Someone who was going to become Nobunaga's most valuable advisor got killed in combat because of him so now he has to take the guys place. But history isn't how he remembers it. In this version of history the first born child became the lord even if it was a girl resulting in female fudel lords and Oda Nobunaga is now Oda Noduna. Several other historical figures are now cute girls (a few aren't though).

So when I first started watching this it was noting more than a time killer. It was a slow season and I needed something to kill a little time even if it was low grade harem. What I got however was much different. The MC is simply amazing. He isn't perfect but he is a far cry from the gutless protagonists that these series tend to have. Also while the MC is surrounded by girls only a couple show only interest in him and only one is really given a change with the MC. Nobuna is also a great character. They could have just made her a Moe moe general girl who says a bunch of cute crap but she really acts like a leader. She has ambitions of uniting Japan and dreams of seeing the world. Not ever member of the cast is perfect but none are so bad that they make the show painful to watch. Really this show is much better than you would think it is and sadly because of that there are probably a lot of people who won't even give this show a chance.

14. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've encountered a ton of these. I either misjudged the promo artwork or the synopsis suggested something completely different to what i found when i watch it. For example i was convinced that i wouldn't enjoy Code Geass!

15. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Tari Tari, I originally didn't want to watch this but was sort of forced to and now it is one of my favourites and I still don't really know why since it isn't any of my preferred genres.

But before I became a full otaku there was always a part of me that thought I'd dislike Death Note, mind you this was at least 3 years ago before I had even started watching subs.

16. Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Full Metal Panic!

i figured it'd just be another run of the mill mecha series (which tends to not be one my favorite genres as is) but i was pleasantly surprised and now it's one of my favorites.

17. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Angel Cop for me. I'll have to thank Colme for that one. We watched it in the anime club and even though everything about it looked so dated and chessy (well it is actually), I found it very fun to watch. It was flawed like hell but despite that I had a lot of fun watching it. Saw a video on youtube that was like 8 minutes long showcasing all the cursing that was in the show. It was like Black Lagoon but only dirtier!

18. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Thought I was going to hate Panty and Stocking just because of the name. Turns out I was wrong and really laughed at the immature humor in it

19. Uallandme Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Aizengard wrote:
    Thought I was going to hate Panty and Stocking just because of the name. Turns out I was wrong and really laughed at the immature humor in it

its those kind of animes that make people (including myself) realize just how childish they really are