Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Alex Rocco 1936-2015

Discussion in 'Movie and Television News' started by BK-201, Jul 20, 2015.

1. BK-201 The Black Reaper Moderator

Ratings:
    +124 / 1 / -0
    Alex Rocco 1936-2015
    Godfather actor dies aged 79
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]19 July 2015 | Written by James White

[​IMG]

For a man who, in his earlier days, wanted to be a real-life gangster, Alex Rocco never quite seemed the type, but made a career out of playing bad guys and various other characters in a long and satisfying career. He died on Saturday at the age of 79.

Born Alexander Federico Petricone in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Rocco spent his youth in the tough Winter Hill district of Boston as a hanger-on with the local Winter Hill Gang. He ended up questioned as part of an investigation into the murder of a gang rival, was released without charge and left the Boston area shortly after that. He’d decided to move to Los Angeles and won his first film role working on Russ Meyer’s Motorpsycho! Several smaller parts followed, but he scored a big break playing Moe Greene on The Godfather for Francis Ford Coppola, which became the real bedrock of his career, and a role for which he would – to his delight – be forever recognised.

He played many bad guys and sleazy types, but also showed the ability to inhabit various roles on both movie and TV screens. He shows up in films such as The St. Valentine’s Day Massacre, The Stunt Man, Herbie Goes Bananas, That Thing You Do!, Smokin’ Aces and Find Me Guilty.

He considers one of his most lucrative jobs to be voicing Thorny, one of the ant council in Pixar’s A Bug’s Life. “That was my greatest prize ever in life,” he said, “because I did about eight lines as an ant, and I think I made over a million dollars.” On TV he had an even wider range of characters, appearing on the likes of Episodes, Magic City, Party Down, Touched By An Angel, The Facts Of Life and, famously, as Roger Meyers Jr. on The Simpsons, the man behind the company that producers the Itchy & Scratchy cartoons.