Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Accel world VS. Sword Art

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by Buildlancer, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Buildlancer Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    now from what i can gather both shows actually take place in the same universe but are set only a few years apart. also they have a manga where both main characters meet. so after that who do think is more badass

Kirito or Haruyuki

2. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I've seen both shows but never really made the connection that they took place in the same universe. I know they're written by the same person but I guess I never bothered to look any further into it.

3. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I take it you didn't notice Haruyuki pulling up an article on nerve gear when he was researching Nomi's brain chip. It was the first piece of proof that both shows took place in the same universe but Accel World takes place in the future. Also I'm pretty sure it's more than just a few years in the future as you apparently has to be prepared for a neuro Linker at birth and he's a high school student with one.

4. Dirtie00 El Psy Kongroo

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Kirito is of course more bad ass, and yes both shows do take part in the same universe .More info on this should come to light if SAO has more seasons, or if you read the novels. XD

5. Shogun13 Lord of the Dance

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    It was bizarrely obvious to me at the time for some reason. Bizarrely one of them ended up on the positive end of mediocre whereas the other was bad imo. They have similar arcs too considering how it is an action anime with romantic subtexts seemingly taking over the main plot. It all came down to characterization for me in a lot of ways.

6. Nimander God of Calamity

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Way to necro a dead thread man! But hey activity! [​IMG]

Haru really loses if we are looking at the anime.

The Accel World Anime didn't give us enough of the light novel's story to allow Haru to become more of a badass.

Thus.. Kirito wins. Especially after his lightsaber skills were revealed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But you have to admit... Haru will have potential to be a badass, should we get a season 2. He's got to reach lvl 10 after all. And he has the straws of a harem but nothing solid yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other game related badasses for your consideration though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. sayWut Head Market Research Analyst

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    Haruyuki was way to whiny and pathetic for my liking, thus it deff has to be Kirito

8. Ophelia Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    i think im going with sao just because like sayWut said Haruyuki was soo soo whiny i just coulnt like him near as much as i like Kirito but all in all these two anime where both really good and i think if accel world get a season 2 it could get a lot better

9. Shogun13 Lord of the Dance

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Man, I'm so alone, I thought Haru had a reason to be whiny, he desired to be accepted and be free and that manifested as his wings. So I thought it was whining that ultimately resulted in growth. He was writhing in the morass that is common in most bildungsroman and burst helped him to realize that it isn't all predestination, that you're not just a fat man in a cruel uncaring, mocking world, that if you work hard, you can be individual even when the cards are stacked against you. Haru also had problems with his friends, with the problem that people rarely share all of their identities and personas with each other. They also achieved growth. I mean really, I think that Accel world is a pretty solid little Young Adult fiction. Maybe it spoke to me as a fat guy who's not quite sure what he should do with his life. So the fact that I can be a pretty butterfly if the right opportunity comes along was a satisfying moral.
    This is as opposed to SAO where he is basically the best swordsman guy because I guess somebody needed to be. Then he faced great personal sadness.... for being the best swordsman guy and not telling them. Oh how the crown is heavy for the black longcoat ubermensch. Then we got into the wooing of Asuka with false child analog and it kept going and going. Then he wins because again fuck it somebody has too. Then his love interest is in another game and I refused to continue beyond this relatively closure filled episode to see if he eventually got his happy ending with cardboard mcemptyeyes.
    So yeah, I'm still pretty sure in my statement that Accel World is much better than SAO, but according to the fact that SAO got another season, I appear to be in the minority.

10. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I'm with you man. I like Accel world a LOT more and found it's plot and characters much more interesting.

I didn't HATE SAO but Kirito really was a pretty bland MC overall and I can only really say SAO was a decent show at best until season 2 where it just got even worst and I couldn't take it anymore. I wish Accel World would get a second season already.

11. Ophelia Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    i wish Accel world would get a 2 season as well but it was not because he was whiny but because he was afraid and wonted to get away from every thing

"he didnt get his wings because he was whiny he got them because he was afraid"*

#11 Ophelia, May 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  12. Shogun13 Lord of the Dance

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    You whine because you're afraid. One is a possible vocalization of the other which is a feeling. If I whine that my friends are leaving me behind and secretly hate me, I'm afraid that I'm losing my friends. I'm willing to argue semantics. Howeve, the important part is the wings came from his inner struggle, unlike Kirito's "fuck it I guess I'm the best swordsman because I was a playtester I guess" prowess.

13. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I liked how Haru's powers came from his inner struggle and his eventually overcoming of them. Kirito just got random power-ups because he's awesome that way. Which in a way isn't bad as it allows more time for plot and character development. Now if only they actually SPENT that extra time on plot and character development instead of trying to fit in Kirito gathering his harem that just ends up being all background characters almost immediately after.

14. Ophelia Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    no Kirito was so strong because he went beond the game and did not just use his lvl in the game to be the best but he did it with will power

15. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    and that is just such bullshit. It worked with Accel World because the game had the feature to form the avatar and it's abilities from the mind and will of it's player. So using will power you could manipulate the system in ways it may or may not have been originally intended. SAO was just a VMMORPG so saying "he did it through will power" is just pulling a dues ex machina out of the writer's ass because there was no in game system related to will power.

16. Ophelia Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    and that is why it is soo hard to compare the two

the two games are so different it makes it impossible to compare the two shows, ones fighting to save every one and the other is fighting to make himself "faster" and protect his master.

#16 Ophelia, May 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  17. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    We aren't comparing the games we're comparing the quality of the character development and pacing of the plot. Regardless of what the two shows are about these are qualities that are universal which is why they can still be compared. Well actually different shows have their own types of characters and pacing but these two types of shows generally have pretty similar character types and pacing. Even if Kirito is the one meant to save everyone that doesn't mean he can't work properly for his power or not be completely OP.

It's true though that the shows are different so there are things you can't compare like the plots themselves.

BTW there is an edit button you can use instead of double posting.

18. Ophelia Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    In that case accl world it does not have any cairector development, you dont get any information about anyone, but it does how better logic over all. But I dont watch anime to get something that makes sence I won't to watch something that will get me into the plot. And ty for the tip on the editing thing -.^

19. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    You don't get a ton of background on a lot of them but they do develop especially the MC. He goes from being a bullies bitch to bitch slapping that Nomi guy. Also remember it was only one season so there is only so much development possible.

BTW just as a disclaimer I'm not saying you can't like SAO. Overall I think it's a decent show. I just find Kirito's development poor and the rest of the case neglected just to show off how awesome the MC is which means in the end no one really develops.

20. Ophelia Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    you are right if there where more seasons of accelworld i might even like it more than sao, but at this point sao is better in my opinion, and i generally don't like the kill other people for your own power thing about the game they are playing in accel