Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Ability Shop

Discussion in 'SOS Brigade (Clubs)' started by Metazoxan, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Ability Shop
    [​IMG]
    http://www.mangahere.co/manga/ability_shop/
    Toshiki is a below average student and often the target of ridicule. He accidentally runs into a shop sign and breaks it, when he enters the shop he finds out it will sell him abilities.. But these abilities don't come cheap.

Okay so time to discuss Ability Shop.​

2. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Well it took me over a week but I finally got around to reading Ability Shop and I actually liked it to my surprise. The idea of selling off your life to buy abilities is interesting and damn that ability that cost him 20 years was powerful.
    I'm wondering if I would have actually considered the studying ability, sure it is 3 years but you learn how long you will live for as well as get all the marks to get into whatever uni course you'd want. Essentially it is 3 years to improve how easy your future should be to get a really good high paying job in any field.

The shopkeeper being part cat apparently was something unexpected, or was that only to me? She certainly didn't look too cat like.

And lastly let's finish up this post by asking the question: What ability would you obtain through this ability shop if any?

3. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Wow thanks for replying super. Somehow I COMPLETELY forgot about this.... and no excuse this time I wasn't busy I just completely forgot.

and when you think about the fact that you normally spend more than 3 years figuring all that out and studying for stuff the ability actually lets you live more of your life rather than less by letting you spend less time studying and wasting time figuring all that out.

She had cat ears under that hat and cat eyes. No real point to it though.

Also while I get it was kind of needed for the plot the girl kind of annoyed me especially when she told him to get away. Yeah he just used a weird ability but I thought you were supossed to be the person who stuck by him but all he needed to do was use ESP to get you to ditch him? That's rather shallow.

As for me I might actually JUST take the study ability. He wasted his life with most of those others because asumming the study ability isn't limited to test related stuff you could use it to easily learn to play sports or anything else well. Since the super power level abilities cost 20+ years they are too pricey to be worth it and the ability to easily learn and remember everything is the best of the cheap normal abilities.

4. obdriver6 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Wow, I completely forgot too. Been busy with the other collection of manga I've been trying to read.

As soon as I read that they were selling abilities with a price, I had a feeling they would have to payed with their life. It was interesting to read but the story seemed kind of generic to me, like I knew what was going to happen next. The end was something I didn't expect so I liked how he was given a second chance to start over. Overall, I enjoyed it. What I was wondering is if your life span is shortened, would you still die of old age or a sudden incident?

@Metazoxan Come on, if someone did that in front of you, you would freak out a bit. But the reason she never got with him is because she wasn't taking care of him anymore.

I couldn't think of anything that was not super human so I would also go with the ability to learn things quickly. If it was super human, I would go with time control, it would probably take most of my remaining life but I think its worth it.

5. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Don't have to thank me for something like this, it was an activity so people should be posting. Since this was originally my idea I was of course going to join in.

Man isn't this the truth, actually in my case 3 years would be nothing. 6 years of high school and 3 years after graduation and I still have zero ideas for what the hell to do. This ability might not have solved my issue for what to do but at least I'd be fit for anything with it.

This, since powers don't exist in normal settings if it suddenly happened in reality then you'd have no idea what the hell happened. Chances are that we'd find the ability great after a bit of time has passed for us to process it, but the initial shock is all the time that she had to react to it. Let's not forget the whole "damsel must scream at everything" set up that everything likes to use.

This is something I was wondering as well, the way I figure it is that there is a cut off regardless so that is shortened. My assumptions basically put it down to just a sudden death most likely brought on by a heart attack. It has to be sudden but I doubt it'd cause a disastrous chain of events just to kill one person so it'd have to be pretty much self contained, so by the end I was left with the options of heart attack or an adult version of SIDS.
    Although then I begin to think what if your time was cut short in the first place? You see that your life only has say 6 years remaining before a purchase, in that case what then?

6. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    It's either that or this manga went with the idea that we are all fated to die at some point for some reason and buying abilities makes it happen sooner. You won't know how but it will simply happen.

7. obdriver6 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I came to the same conclusion. That or a sudden accident. If my life was that short or shorter than average then I better pick a damn good ability lol

Thats what I was thinking. Just by buying the ability, it affects your future in a negative way no matter what and you loose those years as a result.

8. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    A sudden accident similar in style to Another's, well now that would make an interesting manga that I'd be more willing to read.
    It would have been interesting to see what this manga could have done if it was a little longer. Too bad I guess.

9. obdriver6 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I wish I could get the reference but sadly I haven't seen Another. I don't know, I like the length of it and if you really think about it, how much more can they have added to it? Maybe it would have gone into his adult life and until his death?

10. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    They could have extended this multiple ways.

1. Go into greater detail of the abilities he gains and how he uses them. Maybe spend a chapter per ability and to make it more interesting have something happen that he needs each ability for. You could also show his "corruption" better if at first he uses his abilities to help people but starts to do more selfish and even criminal things with his abilties.
    2.Instead of having him become talentless to clear his debts have him pay off his debts by working at the shop. Then you could make chapters about other customers coming in and what they do with them (similar to xxxholic).
    3.Introduce some sort of enemy like an evil ability shop that steals abilities which they them sell for life or even just an enemy group that steals abilities from others instead of paying a price for them.

Number 1 alone could extend the 1 chapter to at least 6-12 while 2 and 3 could turn it into a long running series and I know it could work if done right since xxxholic had a similar premise to #2 and #3 could serve as the over arching plot for the episodic customer arcs.

11. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Oh too bad then, just that people die suddenly in that series. I thought that perhaps one of these character's deaths would be fitting for your "sudden accident" ending for this one shot.

I kind of like this idea, working off his debts sounds like a better option to continue it. The end almost seemed like he got off completely free with his original lifespan in tact [I hope not though]. If he had to work it off we could follow selfish desires and the darker nature of what people would actually be using these abilities for.
    Your comparison of xxxHoLiC also intrigues me as I really enjoyed that series, although I should probably get around to watching its other series.
    Although all 3 of those ideas sounded somewhat interesting to me.

Basically this one shot could play upon customers emotions and the psychology of humanity in general, so many possibilities. Now I am kind of sad it stopped there after one chapter actually.

12. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    He didn't exactly get off free because one guy comments on how the was playing even worse than before. So before he had maybe 5% athletic ability and now he has 0% as a price to clear his debt. Overall his life returned to normal but he's lost what little ability he may have had on his own.

and yes that was the idea I was going for. Like maybe have someone want the ability do be a magican and use it to steal (basically Kaito Kid but corrupt) or maybe the ability to persuade and use it to take advantage of people. Then you could also do more well meaning ones like the ability to fight to protect people but ending up a thug or the ability to detect lies and discovering something they never wanted to know.

13. obdriver6 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    @Metazoxan You clearly have a much better imagination than I do lol