Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

A small rant

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Timekeeper, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    Alright, this has been on my mind for a while and I need somewhere to vent it, so here goes.

A few days ago, I had a friend on Facebook post a long status griping about her job and how she hated her workload, her boss, and her coworkers. Her job is a simple: a McDonalds team member. She answers orders at the drive thru, operates the cash register, flips "burgers", and occasionally cleans the restroom, all with a piss-poor attitude.

The thing is, she was basically HANDED the job when she applied. Didn't have to follow up, didn't really have to dress nice for her interview, none of that.

And then there's me: I had been trying to obtain a job for the last 4 1/2 years, all to have the door slammed in my face either at the application step or at the interview. I've even been discriminated against by McDonalds because of my disability, in which now I am in the legal process with them and the EEOC.

I only obtained a job by constantly applying to a company and with some assistance from a relative who, without her help, I would have gotten another rude door-slam if not for her help. Because of this, I am eternally grateful for getting this job and obediently do everything that I'm told without question. Sure, I do have to work a graveyard shift from 3:45 to 7:30-9:30 (I get paid somewhere near 12 to 13 dollars an hour to make up for the lack of hours), but beggars certainly can't be choosers.

Anyway, to wrap this up, I am sick and tired of people complaining about their jobs that even a simpleton can do while they get reasonable hours and aren't asked to do anything mentally or physically strenuous, while I am asked to memorize nearly 50 towns, know where exactly they're supposed to go, and have to push packages up to 250lbs BY MYSELF on a belt for 5 days a week (6 days starting on Black Friday to Christmas Eve). If you don't like your job, you can always just walk right out the door and wait in the damned unemployment line, while some other desperate guy who needs income for his family takes your job.

Rant over.

2. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    While I can sympathize with you, I can sympathize with your friend as well.  It's great to be thankful for your job, sure some people have trouble getting jobs, that's always true.  But here's the thing, I've worked some pretty crappy jobs and there are some jobs that really are just miserable.  I find these are usually retail and food service jobs.  Why?  Mostly because people are jerks.  The job itself isn't too hard but then you have people giving you crap constantly just because they can.  Then, on top of that, there are often employers that will treat you like crap and welcome their customers to walk all over you.

I'm not saying you're wrong that people shouldn't be grateful to have work, I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with complaining and blowing off a bit of steam.  Facebook may not be the best place, but it's unlikely that's going to stop being an outlet for peoples frustration.  Some jobs really are just mentally exhausting, follow you into your daily life, and can make you miserable.  I've never worked with McDonalds, so I can't say about them, but I have worked at other "public service" jobs that really are just terrible and a lot worse than any physically demanding job I've ever had.

As far as walking out the door goes, that's not always an option.  As mentioned it is sometimes difficult to find work and sometimes you're stuck with the crappy job you have, so it helps to complain a bit and relieve stress.

Anyway,  not trying to put a damper on your rant, just offering my opinion :3

3. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I understand you. I have managed a retail store for the last 16 years. When I hire, I hire at minimum wage as it is an entry level job. It requires no learned skills except a personality and patience. I have people turning in applications who want $11+ an hour which blows my mind. Now I am reading that people want minimum wage raised. Do they not know that that will just cause inflation and worsen their plight? I say get another job if you aren't making ends meet on one part time job. I balanced two part time jobs and a university Nursing program and was pregnant! Currently I work 40+ hours as a single mother and come home and work on this site for several more hours each day. If my child was starving, I'd go flip burgers to put food in his mouth on top of all that. You do what you have to do to get by. Quit being whiny Americans and work instead of expecting things to be handed to you.

(and don't even start me on my "Made in the USA" rant)

To Baconman's point, working with the public is extremely emotionally draining, but I suspect the Facebook whining friend is just an unhappy person in general. They can't find personal satisfaction in their job because they don't find delight in small things. For example, I can tell Timekeeper is very proud of the physical labor he is able to endure and gets a sense of accomplishment. I find personal motivation in all the customers who I help to find the perfect gift or help them during their time of grief. Anyone who can't find that type of little happiness is never going to enjoy any job.

P.S. @Timekeeper I am very proud of you and your work ethic

4. nyakomayushii Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    All I can say to this is the grass aint always perfectly green on the other side:

I have a job, had been searching full time for months, went through many tears, prayers,stress, angry rants, you name it. I havea job now, asa bagger in a grocery store, bagging groceries and carrying carts in from the lot I find plenty of little happy moments to enjoy at work, just customers being nice,saying thankyou, talking to the cashier and I, get paid a bitabove minimum wage 20cents more, can't take tips. I really like working there,it aint perfect, but really I considr myself really lucky. Litteraly I can't recall dealing with a rude customer of any sort,in fact alot of them make me feel quite appreciated through their kind words. =)

the thing is though,i don't get that many hours. My coworkers complain about only having seventeen hours a week? i usually don't evenget that. I only wanted ajob to earn money for college. I would get another job, but I'm starting college next semester,and'll be busier, even if I have alot of time left over, my work schedule is all over the place, totally unpredictable, so I can't give firmhours to another job.

So yeah,'good jobs' withthat bright happy pride filledfeeling aren't always totally spectacular, they have their downsides too

5. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    With working with the public, there's always a way around it. I have a friend who works as a cashier at a convenience store (he used to work the day shift; now he's like me and works a graveyard, but obviously with less hourly wage and more hours) and he acts completely enthusiastic with everything he does. He's even had to deal with a few bad apples, but he's either turned their attitude around or just refused to let it get him down.

As for my job, even though my job certainly is not just physically demanding, but also mentally, I don't let it get me down. Most of the time I have a lot of fun talking with my coworkers (yelling actually because of all the loud machinery). Even when we make mistakes, we BS with each other and have fun.

Basically, any job can be crap, but only if you make it to be.

6. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    With working with the public, there’s always a way around it. I have a friend who works as a cashier at a convenience store (he used to work the day shift; now he’s like me and works a graveyard, but obviously with less hourly wage and more hours) and he acts completely enthusiastic with everything he does. He’s even had to deal with a few bad apples, but he’s either turned their attitude around or just refused to let it get him down. As for my job, even though my job certainly is not just physically demanding, but also mentally, I don’t let it get me down. Most of the time I have a lot of fun talking with my coworkers (yelling actually because of all the loud machinery). Even when we make mistakes, we BS with each other and have fun. Basically, any job can be crap, but only if you make it to be.

I have to say that I disagree.  I think that you can make the best of things only to an extent.  Some people are just determined to be jerks.  I've worked in stores where customers, no matter how nice you were to them, have thrown things (at workers), cursed people out, and just generally gotten violent on several occasions.

I honestly think its partly the company you work for and the location.  Sure your attitude factors in but I don't think that that is all there is to it.

7. M-theoria Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Come here, lets hug it out.

[​IMG]

8. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I understand you. I have managed a retail store for the last 16 years. When I hire, I hire at minimum wage as it is an entry level job. It requires no learned skills except a personality and patience. I have people turning in applications who want $11+ an hour which blows my mind. Now I am reading that people want minimum wage raised. Do they not know that that will just cause inflation and worsen their plight? I say get another job if you aren’t making ends meet on one part time job.
    P.S. @Timekeeper I am very proud of you and your work ethic

9. plantkingman Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I understand where your coming from I've worked less than satisfying jobs before. Beggars can't be choosers when it comes to work. Even if the work is less than ideal. In this economy of ours right now you can't be picky on where you work, the people who are working and are complaining just need to be happy they even have a job!