Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

MiniSiets: The Sacred Blacksmith Review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Sporadic, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    A long time ago in a forum thread not so far away, I submitted a piece for the JustDubs Review of the Month contest, a competition whose winner was curiously never decided. Undeterred however, I felt my review was somewhat rushed anyway and there was definitely room for improvement and expansion. Thus, many months of procrastination later I finally mustered up the motivation to rewrite it... while on a road trip when I had nothing better to do and was cut off from all outside communication. [​IMG] It's amazing what boredom can make you accomplish. So now after this needlessly long and rambling introduction, I present to you my revised and sexier Sacred Blacksmith Review.

The Sacred Blacksmith
    [​IMG]

Genres: Fantasy, Action, Comedy, Romance

Rating:
    [​IMG]
    4 out of 5

Review:
    Guard, Save, Believe. These are the words etched into the stone of Chester Cambell's grave. After he passed away from a serious illness, his daughter and only child Cecily was left with the responsibility of becoming head of the Cambell House, which has long been a prestigious representative of the Independent Trade Cities of Housman. Having now succeeded her father, Cecily enlisted as a third generation knight to uphold the tradition and respect of the family name. However, she is inexperienced and clumsy, and often has to rely on intimidation using her title as a knight to hide her weaknesses. Eventually, this strategy ran out of luck, and when her combat skills finally had to be put to the test, Cecily was defeated and her family's precious sword shattered. Now she must seek out the blacksmith Luke Ainsworth to forge her a new sword, which consequently thrusts her into an unexpected chain of events that threatens her life and involves her in a dangerous plot. Between this and the fact that no one can take her seriously because of her huge breasts, it's needless to say that Cecily has plenty of stress on her hands.

Yes, you'll find that there's no shortage of fanservice here. In fact, it's pretty much the running gag of the entire series that everyone pokes fun at Cecily's chest. This is further explored by convenient costume malfunctions and shameless bathing scenes. Thankfully all the pandering is at least tasteful enough that it never interrupts the flow of the story. The writing carries enough wit to know when sexual humor is appropriate.

At a glance, much of Sacred Blacksmith's story is standard procedure for an average fantasy anime. It has all the elements one would expect; knights, magic, demon swords, and giant mythical creatures are abundant. It even comes complete with an angsty tsundere romance. Where the series falls short in originality, it makes up for this in its near-flawless execution. All of the main characters are rich with distinct personalities and deep backstories that are revealed steadily as the plot unfolds. The story progression also strikes a perfect balance between comedy, drama, and action; constantly keeping the viewer engaged with these three elements while the pacing never stutters or moves too quickly. Even episodes that could potentially be considered filler don't really feel like it, as they serve up plenty of character development to excuse them. Although at its core the plot is fairly familiar and straightforward, Sacred Blacksmith is not without some of its own twists on the genre either. It mixes a strangely light-hearted tone to the story with very dark and mature medieval themes, and while demon swords may sound conventional for the setting, their ability to transform into rather unassuming humans with more nuanced intentions is quite unconventional. Though it may seem like this odd mixture wouldn't blend well at first, the series somehow manages to make it all mesh together nicely.

It's worth noting that Sacred Blacksmith's narrative is heavily character-centric to such a degree that traditional fantasy tropes one would expect to see in its setting are often absent or take a back seat to character development. This may be off-putting for some coming into it expecting to see a Tolkien-esque expansive epic, which is unfortunate because the series does otherwise tell a very good story for what it is, but it often gets a bad wrap from critics who may be judging it based on something that it is not. Sacred Blacksmith takes its time to flesh out its characters and doesn't invest much in the adventurous side of fantasy or exploring its world. Although it's clear that there is still a rich history behind it from the brief glimpses we are occasionally given, but nonetheless this is not the story's focus.

The series' character-driven plot does often work to its advantage though, because where Sacred Blacksmith truly shines is in its ability to masterfully craft a cast of characters whose interactions make them instantly likable and constantly engrossing; never leaving the audience with a dull moment. Cecily's unwavering dedication to helping others is interesting to see being put to the test as her inability to defend others frequently conflicts with her convictions. Aria's mysterious past as the demon sword of wind hides behind the veil of her lovable friendliness, making you eager to find out more about her history and motivations. Even the most seemingly loathsome characters can become hard not to sympathize with as more of their histories and backgrounds are uncovered. It is commonplace that conflicts arise between them purely because of of how sharply contrasting and vibrant their personalities are. Luke's cold and dismissive attitude perpetually clashes with Cecily's stubborn determination, which makes for some particularly entertaining dialogue. The script is often written rather heavy-handed, but it helps establish the strong characterizations of the protagonists. Still, Cecily's melodramatic monologues can occasionally overstay their welcome.

The production values of Sacred Blacksmith's art and animation are nothing short of superb as well. Character designs are thoroughly detailed depicting even the subtleties of Luke's fake eye, and animation is consistently smooth and fluid. Couple this with its epic orchestral soundtrack and solid voice acting that fits the characters and effectively brings them to life, Sacred Blacksmith satisfies in nearly every aspect of its design. All of this is accompanied with quality intro and ending segments set to some J-pop tunes. The ending in particular has a rather catchy and cute arrangement, which is further enhanced by the associated artwork with it that really shows off the impressive designs of the characters. In fact, it's possibly my personal favorite ending piece just because it's so adorable and the music and visuals play off each other so well. The intro on the other hand has a decidedly more standard song choice that isn't quite as interesting, but it more than makes up for this with a good mixture of action scenes and beautiful perspective shots of the characters. Sufficed to say, this is one of those rare cases where I found myself watching both the intro and ending for every episode because they were simply that enjoyable.

With everything right that Sacred Blacksmith has going for it however, it's difficult to take notice of any of its major flaws--until it ends. Just as soon as it feels like the journey is only beginning, it is abruptly cut off. This unfortunately is Sacred Blacksmith's greatest shortcoming. By the time the series come to its conclusion, many major plotlines and ambiguities in the story have yet to be fully fleshed out. It's clear judging by the finale that there was still much more of the story to tell, but for one reason or another there appears to be no sequel coming in the foreseeable future. As of the writing of this review, you will need to consult the manga that the series is based on if you wish to delve deeper into its story. Despite this, it's not enough to break Sacred Blacksmith's strong momentum from start to finish. Even with these problems, the anime still manages to deliver as satisfying a resolution as can be reasonably expected while leaving the plot open for continuation. With its colorful cast of characters, high production values, and engaging narrative that has its own twists on the genre, Sacred Blacksmith is sure to entertain many fans of fantasy anime.

Summary:
    Pros
    + High production values
    + Lots of character development
    + Good pacing
    + Awesome orchestral soundtrack
    + Quality voice acting

Cons
    - Abrupt and incomplete ending
    - Hamfisted dialogue

#1 Sporadic, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
  2. Shunikuno Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Love the anime so I had to read the manga to see where the story went after the anime ends. It was disappointing because the story still abruptly ends without resolving any of the overreaching story threads and the last 5 or so chapters have large chunks of time missing between them where action and story development happen, but we don't get to see, we only get to hear about it.

Worth watching not worth reading.

3. Shogun13 Lord of the Dance

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Wait, was this for our review contest or for one way back when? I'm confused. I don't think I've ever seen this review in any form. If you're talking about the one that ran here, I made a post about the winner in the original thread because only 3 reviews were submitted. I'm also not sure why this went through Spor and not me... Just as I'm still confused why nobody just posts in here normally.
    Oh this is one of the old reviews in here. I thought that a review slipped by me. The reason why it was not memorable to me was that I edited it long ago.

4. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    If you recall this was one of the few starter threads I made when the section was created which were just copy and pasted from the old site. You were supposed to have additionally moderated them or something for any unseen errors.

5. Shogun13 Lord of the Dance

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Thus the last sentence. I didn't notice the date at first.

6. Shunikuno Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Did I just cause a lot of work because I wanted to add my 2 cents?

7. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    So you kinda asked and answered your own question in the same post. I see, I see.

8. Shogun13 Lord of the Dance

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Nah, just me being a dumb***. * due to trying to clean up language on here.

Yes, my silly response was both me freaking out and calming down. I kept the first part because I felt like I'd rather acknowledge it than try to bury it with a deletion.

9. minisiets Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Well that's disappointing. I thought about reading the manga since the anime never got a continuation, but maybe it's for the best that it stopped where it's at. Real shame, I felt like Blacksmith had a lot of potential for a more fleshed out story.

10. Nimander God of Calamity

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    The manga is still going........

11. minisiets Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Derp. Well hot damn then, I want an anime reboot when it's finished. Totally underrated series.

12. Nimander God of Calamity

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I'm enjoying the manga far more right now....
    But I think, if i had more monies to purchase manga, I'd probably become a manga only guy.
    Nah.... You don't get sexy animations and sexy/cute Asian voices from just a still image.

13. Ophelia Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    LOL to true to true, the reason i like anime so much more than a real tv show is because of the art and the beautiful animations they can have. and sense we are talking about The Sacred Blacksmith i realy like the art work in the show.

#13 Ophelia, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
  14. Shogun13 Lord of the Dance

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    MUST RESIST.... URGE TO EDIT NON-REVIEW POSTS FOR SPELLING....

• Like Like x 1
  15. Azraled Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0