Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Log Horizon discussion

Discussion in 'SOS Brigade (Clubs)' started by Supernatural-Knight, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Log Horizon

The story begins when 30,000 Japanese gamers are trapped in the fantasy online game world Elder Tale. What was once a sword-and-sorcery world is now the real world. The main lead Shiroe attempts to survive with his old friend Naotsugu and the beautiful assassin Akatsuki.

It is only a matter of time until this show’s first episode airs, so until then look forward to it.

2. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Why has no one posted here yet? Ah well I guess I'm first.

Well looks like my guess was right on the money. This series has no connection what so ever with SAO. The ONLY "connection" is that it's about being trapped in an MMORPG but SAO wasn't even the first to do that so it can't claim ownership of that. Everything else is different particularly because this one seems to actually play more like an MMORPG with mages, theifs, and such while SAO really just felt more like a virtual world than any kind of MMORPG you normally find. So this anime should have a much more familiar feel to MMORPG gamers.

On that note it also seems to have more focus on parties where SAO was just all about Kirito owning everything by himself. Which should mean we'll see a more even spread of character development instead of mostly just developing the MC and using everyone else as leverage for his development again unlike SAO.

Also this series seems to have a much more relaxed and humors atmostphere than SAO. Which is probably a good thing since at times I couldn't tell if SAO was trying to be dark or hopeful. It just had random moments of dark tradgedy followed by really bright and happy moments which made for an odd contract. This one is starting off on a lighter foot which either means it intends to save the darker stuff for later or it plans to just keep this atmostphere which is good either way.

BTW I won't keep comparing this show to SAO. I'm only doing it this time to make a point of how this show isn't a copy of SAO. So after this I'll just comment on the series as is and won't mention SAO.

Now for a little independent review. The characters so far are interesting. The MC is fairly level headed but not painfully perfect, the girl and the guardian guy are both funny to watch and the minor characters so far seem interesting. The battles look like they'll be pretty good to with nice action and good effects. What I'm most interested in is just what is actually going on here? We don't know who is even behind this much less why and we don't know what happens to dead players at all. Do they revive with a reduced level or do they somehow die in real life? Hopefully they don't torture us with this stuff and wait until the end to give a half assed explanation. I've seen anime that do that crap and it annoys me but I like anime that keep you guessing on some details because there is something to look forward to. The key is to tell your audience enough so that they can comfortably follow the story and pace the plot so that the rest is steadily revealed. They seem to be doing that so far so I'm hopeful.

3. Natsu Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    You know, the character Akatsuki reminds me of a character from Ben-To, because she asks permission to hit Naotsugu after she actually hits him. Also, though I haven't seen SAO myself, this anime is not like SAO, and don't say something like "watch SAO it's awesome" or something like that 'cause I've been told that hundreds of times.
    According to MAL, the anime's gonna have 25 episodes, sweet

4. Keiichi-Morisato DJ Double Cheezy ~ Sakura Animé Radio

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Im sorry I even started all this comparing shit.

This anime seems to be taking the more comical route, not that it's a bad thing.

I like it. A solid first episode and due to the new expansion, seasoned players are even in for a challenge so we wont see anyone powering though.

Unlike SAO the food tastes like crap XD
    Also

/SAO refs.

Being that there are females here I expect some kind of romance to form.

Looks like Marielle has already begun that.

Or she just is a loving character.

In conclusion I think this will be a good anime, way too early to make determinations but I will say it looks to be more comedy based and lighthearted given the situation.
    Only time and futher eps will tell how this will end out.

5. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Im sorry I even started all this comparing shit.

This anime seems to be taking the more comical route, not that it’s a bad thing.

I like it. A solid first episode and due to the new expansion, seasoned players are even in for a challenge so we wont see anyone powering though.

Unlike SAO the food tastes like crap XD
    Also

In conclusion I think this will be a good anime, way too early to make determinations but I will say it looks to be more comedy based and lighthearted given the situation.
    Only time and futher eps will tell how this will end out.

[​IMG]

Yeah I thought the food tasting bland was funny. It makes sense to because why would you waste time programming in flavor for a game? Just program in the most basic tastes (unsalted crackers and water) and call it a day. In a way it makes you wonder though. Why even bother programming in such a variety of food? It would be interesting if they did like in the Tales series and had the food offer special effects. Like in Tales of Graces you had basic healing items but you could also prepare food from ingrediants and not only did they heal but some would boost defense or have other effects when used in battle. It would just make the existance of food more sensible.

I am enjoying the comedy as well.

One more thing I wonder if the Cat guy is a reference to Mia or Macha from .Hack? He certainly reminds me of Mia just from his appearance plus I don't see any other beast characters which is also like Mia from .Hack. Be interesting to see if his background is like hers at all or if it will be completely different.

6. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    This was a great episode.
    Just what I needed after coming out of Hot Girls Wrestling: The Animation.

7. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    So just finished the first ep. Not a bad first episode. Made me laugh at a few points and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

8. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Why hadn't people posted yet, the simplest answer is the correct one, I hadn't yet watched it. Now after watching it I can safely say it looks quite promising for more than just its animation and to compare it to a previous activity we had would be an insult. It is different enough to be seen as completely different I think.

I like the fact that even though it is going to be group oriented, guilds aren't what the focus is going to be on but rather a bunch of soloists playing as a group, so basically the same thing. The guardian character is definitely not shy, introducing himself as a pervert because apparently that or a closet perv are our only choices as men. The assassin is definitely different, instead of just being mysterious she is also shy.....
    And the strategist MC I think shows some real promise with what could be an intriguing backstory paired with what happened to the other group of soloists in his past.
    When it started I was concerned as to how level 90 players were having trouble with level 23 rat type opponents but it all worked out by having to ignore the commands. I also like how its comedy is interspersed throughout the episode with even character designs being distorted to emphasise emotions, it kind of reminds me of magi for this aspect.

And a quick thought I had, what if it isn't exactly a game they are stuck in but more of a different world like one of the seasons of digimon, although the whole avatar changing I am not too sure how that would work if it was so but we'll have to wait and see. It is a bit early to be having these kinds of thoughts already.

9. Lunar Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've enjoyed the first episode. I liked the comedic theme they added to it, and how the expansion messed with the veterans as well (Seeing as how they are already at max level). I have a feeling that it won't be so fight-based, though I have no idea at this point what it'll focus on. . . . Though by the preview for the next episode it looks like it'll get more serious.
    Well, that's my two cents.

Personally, I think that this will turn out very well. I have high expectations.

10. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    Well that was fun. It is what i expected of it. The comedy only adds up to what i expected. It's good that they aren't too serious, yet it looks like they will get serious if they have to. I do think they will die in real life if they die in the game, since that only gives it a more serious feeling.

I also like how the main character is a strategist. In this anime i guess evryone will have a role in a fight. Not only Kirito like in SAO.

I'm excited for next episode.

11. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Well that was fun. It is what i expected of it. The comedy only adds up to what i expected. It’s good that they aren’t too serious, yet it looks like they will get serious if they have to. I do think they will die in real life if they die in the game, since that only gives it a more serious feeling.

I also like how the main character is a strategist. In this anime i guess evryone will have a role in a fight. Not only Kirito like in SAO.

I’m excited for next episode.

Wouldn't it be a surprising twist if it turned out dying didn't kill you in real life but you couldn't get back into the game again? So then at the end of the anime all of the "dead" characters turn out to be fine. Not sure if I want it to end like that but it would certainly be surprising.

12. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    But then the people in the game must think that person did die. Since they can't get back in the game, i guess that would happen. Because the thing i'm scared of if people don't die by dying in the game, there won't be much use of this anime because people would just die and be free.

13. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    But then the people in the game must think that person did die. Since they can’t get back in the game, i guess that would happen. Because the thing i’m scared of if people don’t die by dying in the game, there won’t be much use of this anime because people would just die and be free.

Yeah but like you said at the start if they can't get back in then the people still in the game would likely just assume that those people died for real. Then if they didn't tell the audience the truth either until the last episode when the MC finally gets out then it would make for a decent surprise twist.

14. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Well finished episode 2 and the "What happens to dead players" question was answered. Kinda disappointing that there doesn't even seem to be a death penalty like if you die you lose a level or maybe those that die don't respawn but don't die in real life either (meaning they basically are left Comatose until everyone is set free). Just something to make dying something more than an inconvenience. But in a way that makes Elder Tale worse than SAO. Remember how in there some players actually committed suicide but in this world even that wont work so everyone is forced to stay in this virtual prison. They haven't explained yet why no one from the outside world doesn't pull the plug but maybe that will be explained.

It's interesting how the MC basically has no real fighting ability. Both his class and sub class are about support which goes well with his strategist role. But it definitely makes this show unique from a lot of anime where the MC is the main fighter and everyone else is support.

I'm still liking the comedy like when assassin asks "My lord may I kick him" after kicking him is still funny.

15. Lunar Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm liking this anime so far. I've always been a fan of VR anime, and a fan of the comedy-serious mix.

Well finished episode 2 and the “What happens to dead players” question was answered. Kinda disappointing that there doesn’t even seem to be a death penalty like if you die you lose a level or maybe those that die don’t respawn but don’t die in real life either (meaning they basically are left Comatose until everyone is set free). Just something to make dying something more than an inconvenience. But in a way that makes Elder Tale worse than SAO. Remember how in there some players actually committed suicide but in this world even that wont work so everyone is forced to stay in this virtual prison. They haven’t explained yet why no one from the outside world doesn’t pull the plug but maybe that will be explained. It’s interesting how the MC basically has no real fighting ability. Both his class and sub class are about support which goes well with his strategist role. But it definitely makes this show unique from a lot of anime where the MC is the main fighter and everyone else is support. I’m still liking the comedy like when assassin asks “My lord may I kick him” after kicking him is still funny.

I'm pretty sure that any player who dies drops items and some gold, because I recall a scene where a player exploded in a similar way that the monsters do and the PKer picking up loot. So maybe that's the penalty?

I would also like to know more about this "debouchary" party he was in. . . .

16. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I’m liking this anime so far. I’ve always been a fan of VR anime, and a fan of the comedy-serious mix.

Metazoxan wrote:
    Well finished episode 2 and the “What happens to dead players” question was answered. Kinda disappointing that there doesn’t even seem to be a death penalty like if you die you lose a level or maybe those that die don’t respawn but don’t die in real life either (meaning they basically are left Comatose until everyone is set free). Just something to make dying something more than an inconvenience. But in a way that makes Elder Tale worse than SAO. Remember how in there some players actually committed suicide but in this world even that wont work so everyone is forced to stay in this virtual prison. They haven’t explained yet why no one from the outside world doesn’t pull the plug but maybe that will be explained. It’s interesting how the MC basically has no real fighting ability. Both his class and sub class are about support which goes well with his strategist role. But it definitely makes this show unique from a lot of anime where the MC is the main fighter and everyone else is support. I’m still liking the comedy like when assassin asks “My lord may I kick him” after kicking him is still funny.

I’m pretty sure that any player who dies drops items and some gold, because I recall a scene where a player exploded in a similar way that the monsters do and the PKer picking up loot. So maybe that’s the penalty?

I would also like to know more about this “debouchary” party he was in. . . .

Well yeah but one thing they haven't established. Do you drop everything you own or just everything you acquired during that particular adventure? Either way just losing your stuff seems a little too harmless. Now I'm not saying they have to die in real life but give us a reason to not want to die please. Hey here is an idea have feelings like pain feel 100% real so if you die from being stabbed by a sword you actually feel the pain of being stabbed and dying. That would present a problem as being careless would cause you to feel the agony of a painful death over and over again. That would be a very good reason to not want to die.

17. Lunar Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just a thought, I also wish that they had a reason not to die. Although I've always been a fan of VR anime, sometimes I find it boring because there's no real edge to the battle, no real consequence. Which is why I was so hyped up over SAO.

If this anime shows a reason not to die, a serious consequence like what you said, This anime will probably make it to my favorites.

18. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    So the second ep wasn't that bad. It continued to build on the situation that they have been put into. At the end, showed were the next few ep's should take place. I still want t see exactly what they plan to do weather it be live there or try to escape their new reality.
    Screenshots:

19. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    So if they die, they just respawn. Simple as that. I hope there is more to it that they still don't know. Like die 3 times and something horrible will happen. The players, and us watchers can't know that yet, as i don't think that has happened.

The author is the same guy who made Maoyuu Maou Yuusha. After knowing that, i do expect less from this anime tbh. But still gonna judge it fairly and still enjoying it.

20. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Well at least respawning is reasonable enough for this setting, it hasn't been established what has exactly happened so for all we and they know they could very well be stuck in the actual game which permits that. I believe death means dropping numerous items, perhaps the more you die the rarer the items you lose could work.

I find it interesting that in a world without meaning or escape people are turning to killing other players for their sensation of living. The lack of pain however is kind of irritating as that would of made it better, imagine the scene where the guardian was being ganged up on all the while screaming in agony from their attacks. I think it would of helped show his characters strength should he of been grunting at least showing that it does hurt.

But now upon hearing that it is from the same creator as maouyuu my hopes have been slightly lowered too, but then again when that did have a action scene it wasn't too badly done....