Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

How did you like Gurren Lagann?

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by Sneffe, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Sneffe Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've seen a lot of different opinion regarding the anime Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and I wanted to see what your opinion on the matter was. I've always been  the kind of guy who really just liked Gurren Lagann for being the best parody of the Shounen genre as a whole while other people in fact did enjoy as a Shounen (ish).

How did you enjoy the show?

2. DemonEyesJoe Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    it was over the top, idk about being a pardoy as the terms shounen and all that mess have no bearing on how i watch a show, but if thats what i liked about it from your perspective than thats how i liked it

3. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    I like Gurren Lagann but feel it's overrated *proceeds to get GIGA DRIIILLLL BREAAAAKKKKKERRRR!*

On a more serious note I really disliked the ending. Come on man. I come this far and that is what happens? Can't we defy show logic one more time? Please? The show is still fun though and I would recommend it for the fun alone.

4. Jaysp656 Artificial Intelligence

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree with Doomguy, the end is the worst part of the entire show. I know that not all storeies have to have the perfect ending but this one I really wanted to see that happen.

5. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    It was good. But like everyone else said the ending was bad. It didn't have to be like that...

6. VeritasOdiumParit Cult of Personality

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    I've seen like the first 3 episodes of this. Cannot get into it. Don't like the lack of seriousness mixed with a plot that is trying to be serious. Doesn't mix well for me. Plus, it feels like it is going no where up to 3 episodes...

7. [Insert name here] Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I liked how over the top it was, I thoroughly enjoyed the first part of the series. Part 2 started out a little too serious compared to the rest of the series and Rossiu in particular pissed me off in part 2. However after they get past the overly-serious stuff the show picks up again. I don't hate the ending, in fact for the most part I like the ending, especially Viral's part, however Simon's part is what most people don't like and it does kinda suck because it's completely unnecessary. They could have easily written it so everyone got a good ending, but they didn't. The movie ending is even worse since they only show Simon in the epilogue.

8. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I definitely need to do a rewatch soon. It's long overdue.

9. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Yeah Simon's part of the ending was just so stupid. After ALL THE SHIT he went through he gets nothing in the end? I get he kind of chose that and decided not be try to be president again or anything. But living alone as a hermit is a bit much. Throw the poor guy a bone!

10. [Insert name here] Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yeah it just kept getting worse, after what happened to Nia for him to just become a drifter was super disappointing. And it's only made worse by how much better everyone else ended up.

11. Azraled Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I personally thought him being a drifter at the end was really cool.
    And i just bought the special edition dvd box set.

My other opinion on this anime is that I HATE MECHA ANIMES.

I put this one off for the longest time just due to the fact that it had robots fighting each other. Then I finally had a friend force me to watch it and, I loved it. To me and this is my OPINION. The show takes all the aspects to how ridiculous giant robots fighting each other really are, and just blows it way out of proportion in a way that is just hilarious and fun to watch. I think to enjoy an anime like this (FLCL, Kill La Kill.) You have to go into it wanting to have fun and not taking the story to seriously. As far as animation Trigger always invests their entire budget on the movements of fights and action going on, instead animation. (Which the animation still looks great I think.)

Steven Blum (the voice of Spike Spegal from bebop) Is the voice of the gay guy Larry? Steve Blum talking like a gay guy for an entire series? I think that gets the most awesome points I can possibly muster form me blowing up this page.

Overall after it was all said and done I couldn't get enough, and I am so happy they released Kill la Kill. I have been needing something puking insane amounts of action directly into my face for awhile now.

Agree or disagree, if you want to watch a real MECHA anime. Don't believe in Gurren Lagann. Just believe in the me that wants to force you to watch and like Gurren Lagann.

#11 Azraled, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  12. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Gurren Laggan wasn't actually done by trigger. But the guys who worked on Gurren laggan went on to found trigger so Kill La Kill was basically made by the same guys just under a new name.

13. Azraled Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    So you are saying Gurren wasn't made by Tigger, but it was made by a studio that was made by the same guys from Tigger?

#13 Azraled, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  14. Crusier Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I really enjoyed this one although I will agree the ending kind of bugged me but after a long time I kind of think it works. I liked the idea that human spirit can conquer all and I took some heartfelt meaning from it when I was younger. Rossiu did kind of bug me during most of the series though.

15. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    exactly.

16. Walshy Born To Rage

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    I loved it, yeah it was over the top at points and it did go over some of the same ol stuff but it did have meaning behind it and it draws on a lot of points other animes get to. Plus i loved the art work in it. Was a solid 8/10 for me.

17. RenNya Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Everyone on this thread sucks. Except for Walshy, They get it. :p

In all seriousness, Gurren Lagann is and always will be in my top favorite anime. I loved how over the top it was, and, I liked the ending. But the movies ending will always be far superior imo.

18. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Is it bad that I keep dropping this? I don't like it, then I start to like it, then I get bored. I'm determined to finish it, though. So it may draw me in later.

19. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Well Something I've noticed is that if you stop watching a series it can become rather hard to start it back up properly. Even if you start it again past events are a little vague making it a little tricky to keep up. They'll talk about something and you might go "wait what happened at that time?". So yeah that is why you should be careful about dropping or delaying a series for too long or it will be hard to ever finish it.

20. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    I've restarted it each time, get like 5-10 eps in and give up. =P