Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Code Geass or Death Note

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by Daflea, May 19, 2013.

1. Daflea Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Code Geass is one of my favorite Psychological animes (besides Death Note) that really impacted my way of thought. Death Note was the first psychological anime I ever saw, thus not only making my interest in the way the mind works increase, but made me wonder how someone could become such a tyrant.

I'd love to use this topic to discus the flaws or the things that made each anime perfect.

2. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    I am struggling to understand what exactly you are trying to say... Both anime's are great indeed, but what is this CG or DN title? o.o I don't get what you want to discuss...

3. Daflea Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I want to talk about what makes them great, or what makes them terrible, such as the plot, the killing of minor characters and so on.

Mainly what makes 1 stand out over the other. That why its one or the other (I'd like people to take sides in a well mannered way if possible)

4. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Eh, then I'll have to sideline from this. I loved both of them equally. I hate comparing greatest anime's...

5. Daflea Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I do too, but that's why I want to see people takes sides and say things like "What if" or "This didn't need to happen like it did" I'm on the Border between the two of them because there were things that made me stay up all night waiting to watch the next episode, only to have to watch the next episode as the only way to calm my anxiety and allow me to sleep.

I'll attempt to get this started by saying one flaw I find with Code Geass is how many minor/ major characters died. I think I'm going down the wrong path my mentioning another anime here, but when Shirly died I thought I was going to see Lelouch turn into a shell like what occoured in Guilty Crown. Because this didn't happen it got my attention better and swayed me into Code geass a little more then Death note...
    (My spelling is not the best with names)

6. Hoten5 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you know what made me really mad in death note? LIGHT/KIRA DOESNT WIN!!

you know what made me mad in code geass? EUPHEMIA!! like OMG LELOUCH, YOURE SUPPOSED TO BE A GENIUS?!?! epic fail on his part...

but overall, i think the message behind code geass was deeper, because it is so sad the way the world works... with all the hate channeled into one person, everyone could finally get along against a common enemy.... sooo sad. :'(

7. Daflea Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The fact that Kira didn't win was what broke my heart the most. The fact that no second season could have come out of the ending (involving Kira) is what made my search for a new psychological anime less encouraging. I kept thinking is this how it always ends up?

8. Auldor Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Code Geass is my favorite anime I love the story of one guy trying to over through an empire and how theres a changes that most of the main characters could die, but as much as I like it it dose have flaws for example:
    the end of season 1 left with so much on the like and then when season 2 started it felt like it was to restart the show every thing they build up until there was mostly just gone.
    another flaw I remember is when Lelouch for the second time now he prerecorded the conversation he was going to have with his brother, now the first time he did this I was willing to give it to him because the guy was crazy but this time around that not the case and its just BS.
    despit all its flaws the one thing I like best about code geass is that in the end Lelouch redeem himself. It gets 5/5.

Death note another one of my favorite anime at least in the top 5, this anime was almost my number 1 favorite if not for one thing L dies after that the anime gos down hill a bit, for me L dieing was the jumping the shark moment. while the ending was satisfying it would have been much batter with L.
    that being said I enjoy all of Death note one of my favorite episodes is when L first confronts KIRA on the TV. The Death note I think slowly corrupted those who held on to it for too long which is why I think Light had such a personality change when he give up the Death note.
    Sadly Light dose not redeem himself in the end which I think is one of the big different between Death note and Code Geass. it gets 4/5

9. Daflea Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The transition between seasons one and two of code geass was really.. different. It did feel like they tried to restart the whole anime over again

10. Hoten5 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Auldor wrote:
    the end of season 1 left with so much on the like and then when season 2 started it felt like it was to restart the show every thing they build up until there was mostly just gone.

they left season one off with that epic shooting scene, and i was like "WTF OMG WHAT WILL HAPPEN?!?" and then it started the next season with kallen in a bunny suit...??

11. Daflea Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That really confused me, especially since Lulouch had no memories

12. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    I have both shows as a 10 out of 10. This is comparing two masterpieces in my eyes. Comparing apples and oranges. Comparing a hall of fame pitcher to a hall of fame batter. I can't do it. I can sum up the two shows like this though.

Death Note - More on the psychological side, darker and a intense rivalry between the protagonist and antagonist. Hard to believe in Light's ideal as the series goes on but fascinating to see his genius mind at work.

Code Geass - Strong leader that can easily sway the audience to his point of view. Even though his methods are Machiavellian in nature you can easily buy into it due to the extreme conditions that surround the anime. Realistic character flaw (his sister), that helps balance his overwhelming advantage due to lack of awesome antagonist (it does change every few episodes after all)

Of course you can hate both characters and still enjoy the shows and the endings.

13. Hoten5 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Daflea wrote:
    That really confused me, especially since Lulouch had no memories

yeah, there must be a good reason as to why they did that :/ idk though, it was a minor flaw in light of the overall epicness of the whole anime :D

14. DemonEyesJoe Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    i think to understand the beginning fo the second season you have to watch it 1 episode/week (with a break between the 2 seasons) as it was originally aired.

the S2EP1 felt to me like "damn right, here we go again, VIVA LA Revolution!" kind of giving the hype for season 2 a way to burst out, by almost mirroring S1EP1 and then explaining everything in S2EP2

to put it simply it said "the show is back, and its going to be awesome"

but, if you watch the show on DVD or streaming or whatever and you can knock it all out in a few days, that episode feels like a speed bump in the climax of the show. you lose the feeling of transition between seasons 1 & 2.

also, does anyone else think of WHY deathnote and code geass are thought so highly of? becasue the original airing you HAD to wait a week to watch, and every episode left you going "WHY DID IT END NOW!?!?" on DvD you dont get that feeling of "OMG I CANT WAIT TILL SATURDAY". And the shows being similar, aired at the same time, complementing each other (in english anyway)

15. Daflea Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So the reason why the beginning of season two was so lopsided was because of the fact that there was time between the two seasons which there was a pause?
    It makes since but couldn't it have had a better flow if season one ended alittle more in check with the beginning of season two? such as having Lelouch pined down in front of his father? Or maybe some strange agreement between Lelouch and Souzaku (spelt wrong, I'm gonna have to go back and find out how to spell that...) over Nannally?

16. DemonEyesJoe Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    i think at first there wasnt plans for a season 2, until it hit mass popularity, so that could also explain some of the awkwardness

17. Daflea Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What if Death note somehow had a 2nd season?? :O

18. Auldor Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think if there was a Death note season 2 it would take away from the 1th season, the only way I could see them doing a season 2 is that some new kid fond a death note but theres not way it would be as good as the original.

19. DemonEyesJoe Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    ok...um...you do know death note has 2 seasons right? i know your reffering to the series as a whole as 1 season, but, its actually 2

20. Auldor Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I thought it may be 2 seasons but I was never sure the part after L dies dose feel like the end of a season.