Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Discussion in 'SOS Brigade (Clubs)' started by Metazoxan, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Legend of Korra
    [​IMG]

While this isn't exactly anime a new season of Legend of Korra just started so I decided to make a thread to discuss it. So what do you all think of the new season so far?

2. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    The Korra discussion, this isn't an activity but more a side activity if anyone feels like discussing it. "Why is it made in this club?" you may ask, simple Meta asked if he could.

Okay so thoughts on this season, it is early but for now I'm liking it more than the 2nd book of Korra. I hated all the extra teenage girl crap otherwise known as romance problems that was taking up a bunch of the show. For now it looks like that isn't a large issue so I'm glad.
    Air benders appearing randomly, I am a bit disappointed that Bumi isn't just a human now but I do like the fact that there is an evil air bender.

And Zuko is alive with a bloody dragon, awesome. I liked his retelling of the time he hired sparky sparky boom man to kill Aang, almost like it is a fond memory to him now.

3. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Yeah Avatar had romance but it was more of a background thing unless it was important and even then it was kind of a sweet "I like him/her but we are trying to save the whole damn world right now" so there was the feeling that they would have confessed a long time before they did if they hadn't so much other stuff to worry about. In Korra season 2 it was all "Hey I'm going to be a totaly bitch" "Yeah well I'm going to be a total dick" "Well fine I guess we'll just be angry and or awkward around each other all season even though my home is kind of in danger right now"

BTW about the air Bender thing I felt like Team Avatar is completely in the wrong here. Just because some people turned into air benders they want people to abandon their lives to live as Air Monks of all things! Why do they even have to be air monks anyway? Can't they just form a new Air Nation with it's own culture and ideals instead of forcing things to be the way they once were?

In fact the Air nation never really made sense to me. The other nations follow the theme of their elements with earth being strong willed, fire being passionate (free war) or Tempermental (During war), and water were more calm. But the Air Nomads aren't even really nomads. They hold themselves up in air temples and live by what seem very strict laws and rules. But Air is a more free element that simply goes where it wants. Notice Aang and his teacher were both fairly free willed but they were also different from everyone else in their nation. The rest of the air Nomads that we saw seemed rather rigid and uncompromising. And just look at how Tenzin tried to sell people on the idea of joining the new air nation. All he talked about was all the things they would be forced to do as air nomads and all the traditions. Maybe it's just me but I never felt the air nomads really suited their element.

4. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Exactly, the romance aspect was way too overplayed in the last Korra. Aang was never like this, granted that was a relatively younger cast as a whole but still, having the great hero worrying more about her love life was boring as all hell to watch. That kind of drama is not needed in this franchise [or anywhere as far as I'm concerned] and it felt out of place.

I agree with you there, attempting to force them into joining is definitely the wrong move. They are basically using the conscription method. They need those willing to join, the air nation weren't self absorbed people so they really should only be looking for those that want to join without the 'benefits' that Tenzin was talking about. I think making a whole new air nation could be interesting because they are the beginning of the culture, I wonder what they'd choose for themselves.
    I'm also a little confused as to why air bending is so easy to earth benders. All reported new air benders have been earth nation citizens, yet in the original Aang had a lot of trouble with that element. I thought the reverse would also be true.

I never really thought about that before, for being called nomads they certainly don't stay free, I wonder why this thought had never occurred to me before? They weren't even nomadic so it is mysterious.
    Although I do agree with Tenzin on one of his points, who wouldn't want a giant sky bison as their best friend?

5. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Well for one thing its not earth benders who are becoming air benders. It's non benders becoming air benders who happen to live in the earth nation. Plus earth and fire nations are basically the two major powers of the earth so 90% of new air benders would be from one of those two nations. Water tribers are mostly only around the poles after all.

Exactly they were called "Air nomads" but nomads move from place to place they don't hold themselves up in mountain temples away from the world or bind themselves with the strict discipline of monks. Maybe I'm just weird but this always bothered me.

Also yes I would like my very own sky bison please. I'll call him Appa 2!

6. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Earth nation citizens though, I just assumed that their genetic make up would be similar for the benders if not worse since they weren't born with bending originally. So since air nation avatars have trouble learning earth bending I thought it'd be true for the reverse regardless of being a bender.
    I'd like to see some fire nation air benders, I think that'd be kind of cool because they could potentially increase the destructive powers of fire benders tenfold.

I never noticed it before you pointed it out so I can't say. Maybe it just sounded betters they went with it.

7. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I guess. I mean having Aang be a monk was fairly important plot wise and he was a monk because his people were monks. Maybe the writers also knew that the air benders were more suited to being nomadic than monks so they labeled them "Air nomads" even though they made them monks for the sake of the plot. That is the only reason I can think of for them to call monks nomads. Maybe they were even written as actual nomads in an early draft but changed it but just left the nomad title there.

8. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Okay has anyone noticed that the old Avatar crew are apparently terrible at the whole parent thing? Aang played Favorites with Tenzin and you saw how that turned out during book 2 and Toph apparently was so afraid of controling her kids too much like her parents that she let them be too free and failed to guide then properly. Katara didn't do anything bad herself from what we know but letting Aang play favorites like that is partly her fault to. As for the rest we don't know enough about what happened but at ths rate I wouldn't be shocked if they have some family issues as well.

9. Eclipse Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, seems so. Still, I'm glad we built on Beifong's character and saw the airbenders finally hyped about training. Actually, there was quite a bit of character building this time around.

10. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    I think family issues is something that just happens in series like these. It gives the writers more to work with because they have so far been open ended with some of them. If they feel something is lacking they potentially could write about Sokka's parenting skills, it gets stale having them all be clueless about how to raise a family at least semi decently but at least the team behind this have the freedom to do what they want.

Was I the only one that didn't necessarily like this batch of new episodes? I found them more boring, the fight between Sue and Lin was interesting yeah but the lead up to that, ugh. Grown women acting like teenage girls, do we really need that now after that crap 2nd season of romantic problems for the teenagers?
    And Tenzin is a horrible instructor, I really don't know how his kids came to be good air benders when they had to put up with stories such as those.

11. ShadowLinks Hero of Time

Ratings:
    +57 / 1 / -0
    Book 3 has now concluded.

This book didn't stack up for me. The Red Lotus organization could have been milked so much more (looking to book 4 i suppose). Just a lot of things happened quickly with no explanation or background. Fights were epic, but sometime ended so abruptly it was....unsatisfying

Is it just me or is Bolin finally starting to get better comedy lines similar to Sokka's? Still kinda eh.

Tenzin has those moments where you think he has progressed, then......derp. Luke Skywalker had better luck rebuilding the jedi order than he does the air nation.

Anybody got any guesses as to the significance of the head captain of the metal benders, Kuvira? (ps she is voiced by zelda williams)